Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 PM

7 posts, read 29,639 times

Advertisements

So I have a job opportunity to work at an MWR office at Schofield Barracks and since I have never been to Hawaii I have been doing some heavy research. My main concern is the rental market. The salary I am looking at is 51,000 with an 11.32% cost of living allowance. I have been somewhat spoiled living in AZ where my mortgage pymt is $625.00. Right now I bring home $1700 net. I am presently not working FT and I am looking at this job as a way of getting my foot in the door with the US Govt and getting some much needed benefits. I also have a one hour commute for my job and that is getting tiring. Basically with all my utilities here I live a comfortable existence. I do not have a second income to rely on (my son pays me rent each month to help out) and am also not young, so when I look at rents around 2k I am astonished. I know it is a very high COS market there but I don't want to be wooed only by the location and then get there and find I am house poor and living in a small box. I would like to ask my son to accompany me but I would have to pay for everything to get both of us over here sine there would be no relocation expenses reimbursed. As it is, I would be looking for a furnished place and shipping one car.

I have lived on a military base years and years ago so I am somewhat familiar with the jargon and that part of it. But I was wondering if civilians employees have the option to maybe get on-base housing? I know it is a possibility at some bases that experience a vacancy but would that even be an option for Oahu or am I dreaming? If my son did accompany me is it possible to get a job and just hoof it? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM

70 posts, read 98,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamos View Post
I have lived on a military base years and years ago so I am somewhat familiar with the jargon and that part of it. But I was wondering if civilians employees have the option to maybe get on-base housing? I know it is a possibility at some bases that experience a vacancy but would that even be an option for Oahu or am I dreaming? If my son did accompany me is it possible to get a job and just hoof it? Any info is greatly appreciated.
I believe it is possible, though there may be a waitlist. I have a civilian colleague who lives on base, though he is retired from the reserves. I also talked to an Army warrant officer who lives on Schofield. It sounded like there are civilians living there.

Be aware, the rent will be over $2,000. I believe my colleague pays either $2,220 or $2,400 for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath. There are advantages to living on base, but it's not necessarily the cheapest option.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 PM

Thanks so much for the info on the housing. Yikes $2200 on base, I guess I thought it would be somewhat cheaper but I guess that is upside - living closer to your work. I will keep looking at Craigslist and contact the housing office on base for some leads as well. Definitely looking for something furnished as I just cannot afford to have my house shipped in addition to my vehicle.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
$2,200 is a bargain

Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,769,079 times
I you're working at Schofield and don't want to live in Wahiawa you might check out Waialua. It's a quiet town. Also Mililani which is pretty bland.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 AM

Yes I stumbled upon some listings in Waialua the other day. I am definitely looking for something that is quiet and away from the hustle and bustle and safe. What's the drive like into the base from the north shore?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,769,079 times
15-20 minutes depending on the road.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 PM

486 posts, read 843,983 times
Spacious Floor Plans - Military Hawaii | Island Palm Communities

Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 AM

64 posts, read 148,590 times
You’re gonna struggle here with that level salary. Not impossible, but it will be hard. Don’t expect to pay less than a thousand for a small apartment anywhere on island, and definitely not gonna get a house for that. Plus the on base renting is expensive and they have short leases and are notorious for jacking up the rent on you after your lease.
Also remember, everything (EVERYTHING) here is more expensive. Take grocery’s. I just went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients to make chicken pot pie (chicken, pie crust, cream of chicken soup, frozen veggies, 1/2 dozen eggs, and garlic powder). The bill was just shy of 80 dollars. And you know all those commercials for deals at restaurants or w/e and in small print at the end it will say something like ‘not valid in hi/ak’. Yeah that’s cuz they take that price and then tack an extra buck or 2, or he’ll just double the price completely! lol

Not saying you can’t do it. Especially if you’re single, 51000 plus locality pay isn’t bad, and you’ll be able to live an ok life here. I just want you to truly be ready for the sticker shock!

Old 10-03-2017, 01:58 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
You’re gonna struggle here with that level salary. Not impossible, but it will be hard. Don’t expect to pay less than a thousand for a small apartment anywhere on island, and definitely not gonna get a house for that. Plus the on base renting is expensive and they have short leases and are notorious for jacking up the rent on you after your lease.
Also remember, everything (EVERYTHING) here is more expensive. Take grocery’s. I just went to the grocery store and bought the ingredients to make chicken pot pie (chicken, pie crust, cream of chicken soup, frozen veggies, 1/2 dozen eggs, and garlic powder). The bill was just shy of 80 dollars. And you know all those commercials for deals at restaurants or w/e and in small print at the end it will say something like ‘not valid in hi/ak’. Yeah that’s cuz they take that price and then tack an extra buck or 2, or he’ll just double the price completely! lol

Not saying you can’t do it. Especially if you’re single, 51000 plus locality pay isn’t bad, and you’ll be able to live an ok life here. I just want you to truly be ready for the sticker shock!
WHAAA? $80? How many pot pies were you making? Even here on the Big Island things aren't that expensive.

Local Foodland ad today shows fresh chicken for $2.49 a pound. You can make your own pie crust from flour, shortening, and water for zero dollars. A can of soup usually costs $3.00. Eggs usually cost $3 a dozen. Bag of frozen produce $5. Garlic powder probably your most expensive purchase, but hopefully it lasts you a couple of months and you didn't use all of it in your pot pies.

Also in the Foodland ad -- two large Marie Callender chicken pot pies for $7.50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu