Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 AM

15 posts, read 69,562 times

Advertisements

I am active duty Army getting ready to PCS to Schofield Barracks for a 3 year tour with a reporting date in May. I've been to Hickam on temporary duty for 2 weeks in 2005. I wasn't impressed with Waikiki Bch, but I didn't get to see much because of the duty. If anyone has any advice as to neighborhoods, local amentities and distances to base, elementary schools (we have a 3 year old). We may decide to live on base but were hoping to make the most out of the experience and live in the local community. We hear a lot of stuff about "whites" not being accepted and having difficulties on some of the beaches. Any serious truth to that? Another issue is not to offend anyone but we do not want to end up living in a neighborhood we've seen on "Dog the Bounty Hunter". Any advice out there? We're thinking maybe away from the Honolulu area or heading to the somewhere north of the Dole Plantation or even the North Shore. Obviously E 6 pay cannot purchase something decent out there. Any rental info? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM

45 posts, read 290,702 times
Why go to waikiki beach and the tourist trap when north shore beaches are close by and plenty spots to chose from.

Try looking in wahiwa where schofield is. there is also mililani and waipio gentry close by.

Friend in Hawaii

Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 PM

181 posts, read 892,328 times
I lived in hawaii on ohau for 4 years. I am white and I never had a problem with anyone. People in hawaii are some of the friendliest Ive ever met I think. The north shore is awsome. Wahiwa would be an option, also I know a lot of mainlanders like mililani because it kind of has more of a mainland feel to it...I would say it is slightly more affluent over all than wahiwa. Some people say wahiwa is a little getto...I dont know I didnt think it was that bad. We used to shop at Tamura's there. Even rentals in the north shore are not that cheap..there just arnt as many options for renting on north shore as in other places....I guess cause its more county...less people...ect. As far as Dog the bounty hunter, that guy goes all over the island, so no avoiding that! lol.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:59 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Smile Waialua and Wahiawa

I lived in Hawaii (left in '93) and I both lived and rented out, at varioius times, a duplex in Waialua, on the North Shore, about 20 min from Schofield. . Many of my tenants were military from Schofield and, like me, were haole. It was a very local neighborhood and I never saw one instance of locals being unwelcoming. The whole anti-haole thing is way exaggerated. The last day of school in Wahiawa was "kill a haole " day, which was more of a joke than anything else. They may have banned it now. All it meant was that the haole kids started their summer vacation a day early. If I were going to move back, Wahiawa would be the first place I'd look. There are some bad neighborhoods, but because of the elevation, it's cold enough at night to light a fire. Wahiawa is quite a magical place. Be sure to check out the "wishing stone" and the "birthing stones" when you get there. Good luck! You'll love it.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:58 PM

56 posts, read 211,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Wahiawa is quite a magical place. Be sure to check out the "wishing stone" and the "birthing stones" when you get there. Good luck! You'll love it.
What is a wishing stone or birthing stone??

Old 02-10-2008, 05:18 PM

850 posts, read 4,365,040 times
i'm wondering if eureka1 was referring to the different phallic rocks? said to help with infertility/fertility. sister visited one on kaua'i after many years of infertility. after, she and her husband laid on the rock, she became pregnant with twins. fact or fiction?!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 69,562 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info. The military housing referrals provide a lot of information as well as the online sites, but it is always good to hear things first hand from someone who has experienced the area. As far as the Wishing/Birthing stones, if it has anything to do with increased fertility, I'm staying away from it. The move is getting close so I always welcome any information that can be offered. We are looking for realtive seclusion vs. busy city. So, we will be looking at norht of Schofield. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Default Birthing/wishing stones

The birthing stones I knew about are a little north of Wahiawa, near a Navy tracking station. I was told it was a place where Hawaiian royalty would go to give birth. Can't remember if they're supposed to help fertility but it was a peaceful place to meditate. The wishing stones are right in the middle of town, in front of a school and are in a metal box on a pedestal. If you look inside you'll see where people have left money, notes, etc. I took my very ill cat there when the vet couldn't tell me what was wrong with her. I rubbed her up against the one I could reach and she lived another eight years. The tour buses for Japanese tourists often stop there. Wow, I hadn't even thought about this for years. Glad I'll be going back to visit soon, and I will stop and revisit. Thanks for bringing it up!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 16,316 times
Default Question Regarding Elevation At Schofield

This is a really dumb question I am sure to some of you but I have a horrible fear of heights. My husband is being stationed in Hawaii and I didn't even think to check the elevation of the barracks just assuming it was a beach and therefore flat. I know, duh. Originally from Florida here where all beaches are flat, etc. Anyway, I noticed the barracks are actually IN the mountains! I am terrified. How bad is it? If someone were afraid of heights is this going to be a traumatic event to go? Any input from anyone who has been there would be so helpful to calm my nerves. Also, I have a 9 and 12 year old. Are the schools halfway decent and how much to the private schools run about? Just ANY information would be so appreciated. I am having an ulcer from not knowing things and nerves!

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-15-2008 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Please do not post e mails. Use the DM feature to contact other members.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,014,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammatty View Post
This is a really dumb question I am sure to some of you but I have a horrible fear of heights. My husband is being stationed in Hawaii and I didn't even think to check the elevation of the barracks just assuming it was a beach and therefore flat. I know, duh. Originally from Florida here where all beaches are flat, etc. Anyway, I noticed the barracks are actually IN the mountains! I am terrified. How bad is it? If someone were afraid of heights is this going to be a traumatic event to go? Any input from anyone who has been there would be so helpful to calm my nerves. Also, I have a 9 and 12 year old. Are the schools halfway decent and how much to the private schools run about? Just ANY information would be so appreciated. I am having an ulcer from not knowing things and nerves!
Schofield is not on a mountain persay.. I think you will be okay with the elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu