Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 PM

181 posts, read 894,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammatty View Post
This is a really dumb question I am sure to some of you but I have a horrible fear of heights. My husband is being stationed in Hawaii and I didn't even think to check the elevation of the barracks just assuming it was a beach and therefore flat. I know, duh. Originally from Florida here where all beaches are flat, etc. Anyway, I noticed the barracks are actually IN the mountains! I am terrified. How bad is it? If someone were afraid of heights is this going to be a traumatic event to go? Any input from anyone who has been there would be so helpful to calm my nerves. Also, I have a 9 and 12 year old. Are the schools halfway decent and how much to the private schools run about? Just ANY information would be so appreciated. I am having an ulcer from not knowing things and nerves!
Sadly, hawaii has some of the poorest schools (according to test scores and things like that) But my husband went to kahuku for a few years and he turned out all right. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,319,290 times
Have you used Google Earth before? If you can set that up on your computer, just type Schofield Barracks into the top box (I think it says "fly to"). Let the search function take you to the area then play around with the controls on the top right. You can follow the roads to the beach and to Honolulu and you will get a good idea of the topography.

This can be a lot of fun if you have the patience to get it going and work with the program.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,955,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammatty View Post
This is a really dumb question I am sure to some of you but I have a horrible fear of heights. My husband is being stationed in Hawaii and I didn't even think to check the elevation of the barracks just assuming it was a beach and therefore flat. I know, duh. Originally from Florida here where all beaches are flat, etc. Anyway, I noticed the barracks are actually IN the mountains! I am terrified. How bad is it? If someone were afraid of heights is this going to be a traumatic event to go? Any input from anyone who has been there would be so helpful to calm my nerves. Also, I have a 9 and 12 year old. Are the schools halfway decent and how much to the private schools run about? Just ANY information would be so appreciated. I am having an ulcer from not knowing things and nerves!
The country around Schofield is mostly flat. It's higher than the coast, but up a gentle slope. Here's a photo of the area. I don't see how you will have any trouble with this kind of land:

Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,267 times
I've lived on schofield for eight years now I'll be leaving in June.Try Mililani Mauka great school and community aslo near the freeway. Schofield has two elementary schools on post (my children attend Hale Kula elementary) and a middle school is across the street at Wheeler Army Air field. I know alot of people that would be willing to give you info.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,701 times
Go for the north shore...bar none!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 AM

2,277 posts, read 4,148,982 times
The quarters on Schofield are mostly newer & brand new- they are really quite nice. We lived there until we retired and move off post (and I am Hawaiian and grew up here!).

The schools on Post are more than adequate but truly, if you can afford a private school I would highly suggest this route. Many of the private schools have liberal scholarships and payment plans- if you children will be here for high school this is what I would suggest.

If you insist on living off Post then I would suggest Miliani, Kapolei, Ewa Beach, and Waikele- these are nice neighborhoods and Kapolei has the newest public schools on the Island. I would avoid Wahiawa (again I am saying this a local girl), while you might be able to find decent housing it will not be an easy task. I am in no way slamming Wahiawa- but merely stating my own preferences as someone who was born and raised on Oahu.

Good luck with your move. I really would not worry about the "White" thing. If you treat people the way you wish to be treated then you will have no problems. It is usually when people act as if Hawaii were a third world Country that people run into problems. Although we do not all speak pigeon, it would behoove you to train your ears to its sounds since it will not go over well if you say "speak English!"- btw a great deal of Haoles speak pigeon as well.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,497 times
I just got orders to SB for Jan 2011, I am a single parent (E7) with 2 kids and 2 dogs. Can anyone help me with a house to rent that likes dogs, they are good girls. I am stressing knowing that I will be arriving at the airport with no place to go and no car with with 2 kids, 2 dogs, carseats and suitcases. I have ANCOC in October so the whole TDY en route is stressing me out as well. HELP!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,909,744 times
Default Chill Out and Get Organized

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPARTCH View Post
I just got orders to SB for Jan 2011, I am a single parent (E7) with 2 kids and 2 dogs. Can anyone help me with a house to rent that likes dogs, they are good girls. I am stressing knowing that I will be arriving at the airport with no place to go and no car with with 2 kids, 2 dogs, carseats and suitcases. I have ANCOC in October so the whole TDY en route is stressing me out as well. HELP!
Really! First, if you think the military has bureaucracy, get ready for living in Hawai'i. Start with your dogs, and get started on the several-months process of getting them tested and immunized to avoid quarantine. It's expensive and takes several weeks, but it's essential if you love your girls. (Link: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture ) read, download the PDF and take it to your vet. The sooner you start, the less stress later.

I don't mean to discount your human children, but they are much simpler to bring in. They'll be fine -- they'll be with you the whole time. Search the forum for advice on pet-friendly rentals, daycare, schools, neighborhoods, whatever. There's a wealth of info posted here.

If you can, visit before you move. It'll help you identify neighborhoods you're comfortable in, the kinds of places you relate to, and what you need to have in place when you arrive. Remember Hawai'i is a place of transients, and you will not be alone. Those of us who move and stay remember what it was like to arrive from the mainland. C-D also has a number of active posters who've been here and left. You'll have lots of advice, and searching will provide you with the user-IDs of people who are no longer here, but faced similar moves.

You didn't mention where you were moving *from,* but Oahu is likely to be different from any place you've been stationed on the mainland. There are many posters who can help: realtors, military folks, etc. (I live on Maui, so I'm not much help -- you just sounded kind of freaked.)

Do relax and know hundreds (if not thousands) of people do this every year. It's still the U.S., and easier than moving to Europe, South America, or elsewhere. It's a culture of ho'okipa (or hospitality, not unlike in the mainland South), where people are inclined to be helpful and friendly. You'll have a job. You'll have support. Just be organized, respectful, and open to new experiences and things will be fine.

Best of luck and keep posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu