Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 14,332 times

Advertisements

if anyone can help with affordable rents/ locations on Oahu for 56 yr. old returning to islands after a 30+ year absence, would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks
fosdick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 05:18 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Fosdick View Post
if anyone can help with affordable rents/ locations on Oahu for 56 yr. old returning to islands after a 30+ year absence, would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks
fosdick
it might be helpful if you could tell us what would be affordable for you? that would then determine areas/locations that others could suggest.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,381 times
Default retunring to hawaii

Quote:

thanks
fosdick
Be prepared for plenty changes in attitude. It is very expensive and not the old hawaii you probably know. Not the same aloha but still better than mainland. people don't like to help one another. too many mainland attitudes .oahu very crowded....if weather is what you are looking for then it might be worth it

Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wili View Post
Be prepared for plenty changes in attitude. It is very expensive and not the old hawaii you probably know. Not the same aloha but still better than mainland. people don't like to help one another. too many mainland attitudes .oahu very crowded....if weather is what you are looking for then it might be worth it

IMO the aloha spirit is still alive! but, you're right it's faded a little. generally, i think people do want to help others. all of our immediate neighbors would not hesitate to lend a hand. however, our families (first, second and now third generations) have lived in the same houses for over 50 years. friends for life! hawaiians, caucasians, asians and mixed races all getting along.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,332 times
mahalo for responses on return home. The world, in general, is rushed and the aloha spirit is an attitude not specific to the hawaiian islands. The aloha spirit is a choice and can be made by any human being regardless of geograpical location and/or ethnicity. It's called kindness in the English language.

Admittedly, I'm looking at a price range that doesn't exist anymore in the islands. However, I have researched and found several options; I need to get used to not having a large home with many amenities. For me, the sacrifices are worth it since the ocean, trade breezes and beauty that is Hawaiiana, over the years, has become more attractive to me.

I have history. I am a Kamehameha school graduate, my mother graduated from Kam in 1935, my grandmother was a nanny to Princess Kehaunani during the monarch years. I know I romanticize, but the islands always were a part of my psyche. What better reason to return full circle that those listed above? Joni Mitchell wrote," don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone?"
ana

Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,719 times
Quote:
I have history. I am a Kamehameha school graduate, my mother graduated from Kam in 1935, my grandmother was a nanny to Princess Kehaunani during the monarch years.
Have you tried contacting other Kam school alumni? Here's one possibility:

KamehamehaSchools : Kamehameha Schools

Hank

Old 09-02-2014, 03:12 PM

307 posts, read 560,395 times
Quote:
mahalo for responses on return home. The world, in general, is rushed and the aloha spirit is an attitude not specific to the hawaiian islands. The aloha spirit is a choice and can be made by any human being regardless of geograpical location and/or ethnicity. It's called kindness in the English language.

Admittedly, I'm looking at a price range that doesn't exist anymore in the islands. However, I have researched and found several options; I need to get used to not having a large home with many amenities. For me, the sacrifices are worth it since the ocean, trade breezes and beauty that is Hawaiiana, over the years, has become more attractive to me.

I have history. I am a Kamehameha school graduate, my mother graduated from Kam in 1935, my grandmother was a nanny to Princess Kehaunani during the monarch years. I know I romanticize, but the islands always were a part of my psyche. What better reason to return full circle that those listed above? Joni Mitchell wrote," don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got till it's gone?"
ana

Good thing you decided to return home while you're still young. It is good...and although much has changed on the island...and the people...there are still a lot of good aloha spirit left. And as you said...it isn't the place...it's what people have in them. If you've got the aloha spirit...it goes with you everywhere. I too, am hoping I can move to Hawaii...even though I'm not from there...I was stationed there for three years....love it! I grew up in a country far across the other side of the Pacific...with very similar aloha spirit and attitude as Hawaii. Where old folks are revered, respected, and lovingly care for by families and friends around them. Wish you the best on your return home.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Ana Fosdick has not been on City Data in over 6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu