Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 PM

811 posts, read 2,337,087 times

Advertisements

What would you all consider to be the worst neighborhood in Northwest Indiana? Although I may not have seen all of them, I would rank the Guthrie St. area in East Chicago pretty bad. If you go north on 41 and take a right on 12, the area north of 12 is pretty rough.

I'm assuming there are several others. What have you seen/noticed as the worst neighborhoods? Be as specific as possible, maybe even with stats on crime, etc to support your claim.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:28 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,331 times
Lol that really isn't even a legitimate question, it has to be somewhere in Gary. I don't know neighborhoods specifically, but the most dangerous neighborhoods in NWI most likely are several diff hoods from all being in Gary. Although the overall violent crime rate shows that it isn't as incredibly high it is still up there and for a city of roughly 90,000 people it averages anywhere from 50 to 80 murders a year. I believe it has been the murder capital of the country numerous times. Per capita of course.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM

so basically you have no idea and are just guessing it's probably Gary Gary Gary... thanks for the valuable insight... several areas of Hammond and East Chicago are just as bad if not worse than many neighborhoods in Gary

Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
so basically you have no idea and are just guessing it's probably Gary Gary Gary... thanks for the valuable insight... several areas of Hammond and East Chicago are just as bad if not worse than many neighborhoods in Gary
No, actually I am fairly familiar with the area and in my experience it isn't that close. My dad was raised primarily in Chicago Heights, I have been there many times to visit family, been to East Chicago as I have an aunt and uncle who used to live there...given it can be rather rough I find Gary to be worst off then anywhere else in that corner of the state. Gary is more run-down imo and has less well kept areas and is slightly more depressed an area overall. East Chicago is also more diverse, which is a plus for that city and Gary has the least bit of diversity which adds to the hopelessness of that city. Same with Hammond, although it has a couple of BAD pockets, it is overall a decent place to live with some very lovely homes. Chicago Heights can be rough in parts as well but once again not as depressing as Gary. <mod edit personal attack>

Last edited by domergurl; 03-25-2010 at 11:13 AM..

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM

And what is the point of this thread anyways??? Are you trying to figure out what the worst neighborhood is so you can move there and suddenly you will be tough? Or are you just one of those people from the suburbs who's curiosty was struck by bad neighborhoods, so you drive through the bad ones so you can look in awww. Be careful one of these days you might run out of luck. There is nothing nice about these kinds of places, they are not places where people should go when they have no business doing so. It is an insult to the residents of these cities.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,031 times
Without a doubt it is Ogden Dunes or Miller Beach. People there are always breaking fingernails at the coffee shop or getting beach sand blown into thier made up faces. terrible! Just terrible!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM

domergurl that wasn't that bad! I dont think there's anything wrong with driving in places that make you more appreciative of what you have. It's also the truth that the people who live in these cities have been the major reason as to why they're no longer considered as a viable option for many people to call home. Property values never lie.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
I get it, but you fail to grasp the fact that while yes, there may be some bad folks living in these areas, there are people there that cannot get out for various reasons. And stating that you drive through these areas to appreciate what you have? That's pretty darn patronizing. I don't know, I don't need to go to these places to appreciate what I have. Do yourself a favor, when you feel the urge to drive through these areas again ... stop and think about a way you can do good work to possibly help these folks out. Gracing these neighborhoods with your presence does nothing for nobody.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,333 times
Geez, I grew up in Gary and currently live in the E.C./Hammond area now, and there are associates I have from the Highland/Munster area that are horrified that I haven't been gunned down yet. I swear, some of you people are just nuts.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 AM

196 posts, read 658,573 times
Guthrie, Guthrie, Guthrie.

I grew up in both EC and Gary, and there's nowhere in Lake County like Guthrie, in it's "prime" in the '80s/90s.

Gary is just a vacant shell of itself. The people who get killed in Gary are mostly involved in street life. To me, when you say worst, it means random violence, which Gary is pretty safe for outsiders. I see more and more White people walking around everyday and nothing ever happens to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana