Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times

Advertisements

The worst by FAR is Munster...I mean, if you look at the Park West subdivision, it is a GATED COMMUNITY! The area surrounding it is soooooo bad.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
The worst by FAR is Munster...I mean, if you look at the Park West subdivision, it is a GATED COMMUNITY! The area surrounding it is soooooo bad.
I know! All those BMW's just hate all those Hummers!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
I work in Gary, out near the airport and not far from East Chicago. I drive through downtown Gary five days a week. Unless you have business there, I'd suggest you don't go there. Each city has some small pockets of decent neighborhoods and businesses, but get off the beaten path and you're just asking for trouble.

OP, if you want crime stats, you can do the research yourself.

PS - Gary is my hometown; I spent the first 22 years of my life there. But that was when it was a beautiful, thriving, safe city.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I know! All those BMW's just hate all those Hummers!!!!!!!
And then when those Mercedes start moving in, the BMWs and Hummers will hate on them!....And DONT EVEN get me started on those darn Maseratis!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 PM

503 posts, read 710,106 times
gary is pretty bad. my parents grew up there in the 70s and they had their fair share of horror stories so i could only imagine what it's become. EC is bad too but mainly the Harbor side I think. I still don't think EC is as bad as Gary is though,but Gary seems a little ghost townish lately. But gary is rather large and I have no idea what it is like during the night so I can be completely wrong.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM

4 posts, read 23,732 times
Anything north of 80/94 and west of 65
/thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM

320 posts, read 954,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNWI View Post
Anything north of 80/94 and west of 65
/thread
I'd take southwest parts of Hammond any day over the crap in and around Lake Station, Merrillville, or Hobart.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM

811 posts, read 2,336,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
I'd take southwest parts of Hammond any day over the crap in and around Lake Station, Merrillville, or Hobart.
Yea I agree with Slow nerve on this one, you can't just group all of Hammond in as part of the "worst places in NWI". The parts that feed into Gavit really aren't that bad. Basically, if you're right around 80/94 it's not horrible, but yes the further north you go the worse off it gets.

As for Lake Station and Hobart, those places aren't really even that dangerous, those are just laden with white trash and low property values. Merrillville is concerning me, it really does appear to be potentially the next Gary. Some may say that with the mall and all the restaurants it'll stave off the downfall, but Gary was also like that back in the 50s and 60s with tons of things to do.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 23,732 times
point taken, there may be a few blocks of decent neighborhoods here and there, but if you're looking at cities as a whole, the crime stats paint a true picture. all cities in the area that i mentioned have high crime (except whiting), and m'ville, hobart, and lake station, all have much lower crime rates.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM

196 posts, read 658,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I work in Gary, out near the airport and not far from East Chicago. I drive through downtown Gary five days a week. Unless you have business there, I'd suggest you don't go there. Each city has some small pockets of decent neighborhoods and businesses, but get off the beaten path and you're just asking for trouble.

OP, if you want crime stats, you can do the research yourself.

PS - Gary is my hometown; I spent the first 22 years of my life there. But that was when it was a beautiful, thriving, safe city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
gary is pretty bad. my parents grew up there in the 70s and they had their fair share of horror stories so i could only imagine what it's become. EC is bad too but mainly the Harbor side I think. I still don't think EC is as bad as Gary is though,but Gary seems a little ghost townish lately. But gary is rather large and I have no idea what it is like during the night so I can be completely wrong.
That's not random crime though. It's people involved with crime and drugs killing each other. I live in Gary and have for over 20 years now and I've never been robbed, shot at, or threatened by anybody, even when I was growing up, I may have seen drug dealers or gangstas, but they never bothered me. I just walked past em.

The reason I said Guthrie was the fact that in it's day, anybody, regardless of what you were doing were a target. I got friends who grew up in Marshalltown, Dorie Miller, and I even went to Roosevelt for a short period of time, but nobody messed with me, because I didn't do nothing. That part of E.C. though is different. There was something lawless about it, even to a guy who grew up in Gary. I'm not scared of anywhere in G.I. I'm scared of Guthrie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
Yea I agree with Slow nerve on this one, you can't just group all of Hammond in as part of the "worst places in NWI". The parts that feed into Gavit really aren't that bad. Basically, if you're right around 80/94 it's not horrible, but yes the further north you go the worse off it gets.

As for Lake Station and Hobart, those places aren't really even that dangerous, those are just laden with white trash and low property values. Merrillville is concerning me, it really does appear to be potentially the next Gary. Some may say that with the mall and all the restaurants it'll stave off the downfall, but Gary was also like that back in the 50s and 60s with tons of things to do.
You're forgetting one thing. . . The steel industry left Gary, and that's ALL we had. That's why the crime started. The lack of jobs and poverty came first, it always does. As long as there's a lot of jobs and high property values due to the industry in Merrilville, It wont' turn into GAry.

Now, if all those industries simultaneously leave, THEN you'll have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana