Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 PM

141 posts, read 634,252 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just arrived a few days ago and staying in Munster. So far I think we will end up buying a home in Crown Point, it more like what I am used to, and you seem to get more house for the money.

We have only been here a few days but noticing the residents are not as friendly as we heard they would be. A lady at target decided it would be fun to shove her cart into mine so she could pass me at the checkout. I asked an older gentlemen at the gestation while we were pumping gas where a good neighborhood was and he gave me a dirty look at said he did not know. Also, none of our neighbors have bothered to introduce their self even though we have seen then while unloading our moving truck. One of our neighbors just pears out of her window everything we leave or come home. I’ve also noticed the people working the checkout line or drive threw are not very friendly. They don’t even say hello and just tell you the total. Is all of NW Indiana like this or just Munster? I’m worried that we made a mistake by moving here. :-(

I’m hoping its better in Crown Point. We found a great neighborhood around 99th. We have only been able to see the neighborhood at night, but it looks nice! Does anyone know how the housing market there? If a home is listed for say $160,000 what does it normally sell at? I’m from an area where the housing market crashed and million dollar homes are selling for less then half a million. Also, can anyone suggest a great agent to work with that is available after 5pm on weekdays?

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 PM

311 posts, read 916,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyBlue View Post
They don’t even say hello and just tell you the total. Is all of NW Indiana like this or just Munster? I’m worried that we made a mistake by moving here. :-(

I’m hoping its better in Crown Point. We found a great neighborhood around 99th. We have only been able to see the neighborhood at night, but it looks nice! Does anyone know how the housing market there? If a home is listed for say $160,000 what does it normally sell at? I’m from an area where the housing market crashed and million dollar homes are selling for less then half a million. Also, can anyone suggest a great agent to work with that is available after 5pm on weekdays?
Mandy,

Welcome to Indiana! I wish you were closer to me, I would love to work with you! I am usually available to my clients 24/7. Dont get too discouraged right now in the first few days of being here. Maybe the folks you have seen so far have just been having a tough day! The market here is down too, but most houses I have sold this year have sold either at the list price or about 3-5% under list. It depends allot on the motivation of the seller! Some are desperate, some not so much. I was talking to someone today who started out with their house listed at $245,000 and now has it down to $199900, which is a heck of a deal for fairly new house in the country in Elkhart county.

You are on the right track though...find a good agent and let them go to work for you. HINT: If you call them and never get a phone call back..find someone else..dont waste your time! You are not obligated to continue to work with someone who doesnt care enough to return your phone calls/or emails on a timely basis.

Also if you can give them a list of your "gotta haves, would be nice to haves and deal breakers" that would really help them help you quicker to find just the right place.

Good luck
Jody

Old 08-29-2009, 07:46 PM

17,429 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Answers in red ...

Quote:
My husband and I just arrived a few days ago and staying in Munster. So far I think we will end up buying a home in Crown Point, it more like what I am used to, and you seem to get more house for the money.

We have only been here a few days but noticing the residents are not as friendly as we heard they would be. A lady at target decided it would be fun to shove her cart into mine so she could pass me at the checkout. I asked an older gentlemen at the gestation while we were pumping gas where a good neighborhood was and he gave me a dirty look at said he did not know. Also, none of our neighbors have bothered to introduce their self even though we have seen then while unloading our moving truck. One of our neighbors just pears out of her window everything we leave or come home. I’ve also noticed the people working the checkout line or drive threw are not very friendly. They don’t even say hello and just tell you the total. Is all of NW Indiana like this or just Munster? I’m worried that we made a mistake by moving here. :-(

Munster and the bulk of northern Lake County is more quicker paced and more like Chicago and it's inner suburbs. The farther out you go, the slower the pace and the more likely you'll have friendly, chatty people. But rest assured, there are ignorant idiots everywhere. I like chatty, my husband on the other hand prefers quiet ... we've got it all (idiots included) in NWI.

The area you're talking about does not have Crown Point schools - that's Merrillville. If you're looking to be in the Crown Point school system, that area (it's actually Ross Twnshp) is not it.

In that area though, homes are selling at approx. 94-95% of list.

If you have any questions, please feel to direct message me.

Thank you everyone!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 PM

Hi again! We actually just bought a house in Crown Point today! And the school are Merrillville. I'm not sure if they are good or bad but it does not matter as we dont have children. We did meet a neighbor and she was very nice! Cant wait to move in!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 AM

17,429 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Hi again! We actually just bought a house in Crown Point today! And the school are Merrillville. I'm not sure if they are good or bad but it does not matter as we dont have children. We did meet a neighbor and she was very nice! Cant wait to move in!
That was quick!

Congrats!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Well we had been looking for 5 months and the second we found this one I knew it was the one! I just wish we didnt have to wait until mid october to move in! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana