Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:06 PM

21 posts, read 63,826 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we just sold our 1941 Munster Cape Cod at the very end of August. The buyer was as shady as a Forest Preserve District: didn't want to use the new property for his mailing address, though he was claiming to live there, had all his mail go to a PO Box, odd contradictory statements about his work and where he planned to live. As far as any of the neighbors could say, he never lived there or moved in. So...he made some modest updates (new paint, shower installed, small amount of new tile and a new tub, a wall removed) and now the house is back on the market. He's only listed it for $900 above what we sold for.

I KNOW this guy is up to mischief. But I can't figure out what, because for what he paid in work to the place, he'll come out at a loss. I thought money laundering or something.

I don't know why I care, but I feel half-guilty to our old house for selling it to a huckster of some kind. Any idea what's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
I can understand why you would be curious. It certainly sounds like he's not a typical buyer, but don't blame yourself and be careful about driving by or loitering in the area if you are still nearby.

It could be that he was planning on divorcing his wife and trying to set up his new life but something happened or he might've thought he was a hot shot RE flipper and had the rug pulled out under his financing. At worst, someone might be after him and he thought he could hide there but found out he couldn't.

I hope the house sells soon to a nice family who'll take good care of the place!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
As long as you got your money and were represented by qualified professionals I would not worry too much about it...

Maybe the guy is a scammer but more likely he had money and/ or relationship issues --- more than a few real estate deals have been part of some kind of "marry me" situation...

Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
are there a lot of Flim Flam Men still active in Indiana these days?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Maybe he bought the house to launder the money he made cooking blue sky meth.

Dang! Binge watching Breaking Bad has really messed me up.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:42 PM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
I just looked it up.

No flim flam man, no money laundrying, no meth house ... sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one:

Owner got transferred.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
As long as you got your money and were represented by qualified professionals I would not worry too much about it...
EXACTLY!! I'd like to add to the OP...MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!! It is simply out of your control, as well it should be.

Out of all the houses I have sold over the years I cannot imagine giving a rat's azz about the new owner's life or my old house. You apparently have too much time on your hands.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:56 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,989,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
EXACTLY!! I'd like to add to the OP...MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!! It is simply out of your control, as well it should be.

Out of all the houses I have sold over the years I cannot imagine giving a rat's azz about the new owner's life or my old house. You apparently have too much time on your hands.
That's rather harsh. Being curious isn't so very unusual especially if the OP had a long history or a sentimental attachment to the house. And in that case one would like to see someone take care of the place. It's not like he was stalking around after the guy. Just because you had no interest in what happened to your previous houses doesn't mean everyone is just like you. And I'll bet more than a few people have looked up past family or friends homes on Google street view because they were curious about how the house and neighborhood looked now, how much it sold for and what the taxes were. Would that also be a case of too much time on their hands? And how many internet surfers does that label fit?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:19 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
My sister bought a place 8 months ago and realized it was a mistake 30 days in. She kept trying to like the place but it wasn't happening. She has it on the market. Everyone that comes to look at it wants to know what is wrong with it.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:38 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
That's rather harsh. Being curious isn't so very unusual especially if the OP had a long history or a sentimental attachment to the house. And in that case one would like to see someone take care of the place. It's not like he was stalking around after the guy. Just because you had no interest in what happened to your previous houses doesn't mean everyone is just like you. And I'll bet more than a few people have looked up past family or friends homes on Google street view because they were curious about how the house and neighborhood looked now, how much it sold for and what the taxes were. Would that also be a case of too much time on their hands? And how many internet surfers does that label fit?
Oh man...it sounds like you need to reread what the OP wrote a few more times. To me, the OP went beyond being curious and was being too nosey and perhaps even a stalker. I stand by my words to the OP: "mind your own business". If my post is "harsh" I can't imagine how you respond to REAL harshness. Ha-ha!!

No, I don't get sentimentally attached to material things such as houses. Sure, I take care of the houses while living in them and have always sold them in way better condition than what I bought them in; however, the new owners can tear it down for all I care. I reserve my sentimentality for people or animals, not material things. If that makes me harsh, so be it. I'm OK with that!

Last edited by geebabe; 02-08-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana