Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 PM

103 posts, read 257,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No. This is what you said:

You're confused - about a lot of things.

But you're also fairly young, haven't been to the Chicago area in 6 years or the city proper in who knows how long and have refused to answer when exactly you had been to Michigan City.
This was 2009 as chicago and the suburbs were too expensive, and the post I made was regarding oak lawn, near the Hilton hotel in oak lawn is midway airport which is fairly close, and you can hop on the blue line from there via the cta, that information isn't incorrect. I'm not sure how exactly that's incorrect.

I also fail to see how my time there would impact my views on northwestern indiana, I think you are confused and assuming that somehow I am taking away credibility from northwest indiana as statistically counted as part of the chicago metropolitan area, what I'm trying to say is kenosha is also counted as part of the Chicago metropolitan area, but the most in common Kenosha has with chicago is rooting for chicago sports teams, overall kenosha doesn't feel like chicago or resemble it.

I haven't stayed in Hammond or Munster but I have passed through them and I knew I was in indiana, what I'm saying is that you can have culturally influenced areas in states but but that doesn't mean that they are suburbs of a particular city, the perfect example I gave you was that I live in pensacola florida, in pensacola and alabama there exists two escambia counties, the border isn't far from pensacola and you could easily be in alabama in 10 to 15 minutes following i10 but people in Alabama don't claim to be part of pensacola suburbs or pensacola claiming to be part of mobiles suburbs. We have people who commute and some prefer the taxes in florida but there is no relation.

What I associate as a chicago suburb would be a village or township that's under the political control of the main city of chicago where that village is politically, economically and culturally under the sphere of the city of chicago and services are offered to those villages, I'm not quite sure why one would find this offensive in regards to northwest Indiana being separate from Chicago suburbs, even those being within the suburbs are generally viewed as outsiders by those in chicago city limits as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 09:24 PM

17,441 posts, read 14,675,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
This was 2009 as chicago and the suburbs were too expensive, and the post I made was regarding oak lawn, near the Hilton hotel in oak lawn is midway airport which is fairly close, and you can hop on the blue line from there via the cta, that information isn't incorrect. I'm not sure how exactly that's incorrect.

I also fail to see how my time there would impact my views on northwestern indiana, I think you are confused and assuming that somehow I am taking away credibility from northwest indiana as statistically counted as part of the chicago metropolitan area, what I'm trying to say is kenosha is also counted as part of the Chicago metropolitan area, but the most in common Kenosha has with chicago is rooting for chicago sports teams, overall kenosha doesn't feel like chicago or resemble it.

I haven't stayed in Hammond or Munster but I have passed through them and I knew I was in indiana, what I'm saying is that you can have culturally influenced areas in states but but that doesn't mean that they are suburbs of a particular city, the perfect example I gave you was that I live in pensacola florida, in pensacola and alabama there exists two escambia counties, the border isn't far from pensacola and you could easily be in alabama in 10 to 15 minutes following i10 but people in Alabama don't claim to be part of pensacola suburbs or pensacola claiming to be part of mobiles suburbs. We have people who commute and some prefer the taxes in florida but there is no relation.

What I associate as a chicago suburb would be a village or township that's under the political control of the main city of chicago where that village is politically, economically and culturally under the sphere of the city of chicago and services are offered to those villages, I'm not quite sure why one would find this offensive in regards to northwest Indiana being separate from Chicago suburbs, even those being within the suburbs are generally viewed as outsiders by those in chicago city limits as well.
Oh c'mon. You said you were waiting for the L in Oak Lawn. Own up to your mistake.

I don't find it offensive. I just find you don't know what the heck you're talking about. (And again, you dodge the question on your time in Michigan City.)

What I'd really like to do is drop you on the corner of State Line & Warren in Calumet City and tell me how much different it is right across the street - in Indiana. Tell me how it feels different from Illinois, tell me how it looks different from Illinois... here's a hint: it doesn't.

Tell me, how is Calumet City under the political control of the City of Chicago? Or Oak Park? Or Wheeling?

Tell me how the culture is different in Whiting vs the East Side. Tell me how it's economically separate.

And one other thing ... your posts are very hard to read. Enough with the run on sentences already.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Oh c'mon. You said you were waiting for the L in Oak Lawn. Own up to your mistake.

I don't find it offensive. I just find you don't know what the heck you're talking about. (And again, you dodge the question on your time in Michigan City.)

What I'd really like to do is drop you on the corner of State Line & Warren in Calumet City and tell me how much different it is right across the street - in Indiana. Tell me how it feels different from Illinois, tell me how it looks different from Illinois... here's a hint: it doesn't.

Tell me, how is Calumet City under the political control of the City of Chicago? Or Oak Park? Or Wheeling?

Tell me how the culture is different in Whiting vs the East Side. Tell me how it's economically separate.

And one other thing ... your posts are very hard to read. Enough with the run on sentences already.
There is a cta station at midway airport right near the Hilton hotel at oak lawn going down IL 50 n on Cicero avenue.

It's less than 5 miles away from there.

Not sure how exactly you are claiming I am incorrect when the midway international airport is like 10 minutes driving distance from oak lawn if that.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
There is a cta station at midway airport right near the Hilton hotel at oak lawn.

Yes, the orange line runs to Midway.

Midway is not in Oak Lawn.

The Oak Lawn Hilton is at 95th & Cicero ... almost 5 miles south of the airport.

And you failed to answer any of my other questions.

Buh bye.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
There is a cta station at midway airport right near the Hilton hotel at oak lawn going down IL 50 n on Cicero avenue.

It's less than 5 miles away from there.

Not sure how exactly you are claiming I am incorrect when the midway international airport is like 10 minutes driving distance from oak lawn if that.
Oh, you decided to edit after you posted so I'll address one last time.

You said you were technically in Oak Lawn waiting on the L.

I find it hysterical that you want to be so specific and say that Indiana is culturally removed from Chgoland even when it's right across the street & that the two look very different ... but get all loosey-goosey when describing where the L is. "It's less than 5 miles!"

Old 02-02-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, the orange line runs to Midway.

Midway is not in Oak Lawn.

The Oak Lawn Hilton is at 95th & Cicero ... almost 5 miles south of the airport.

And you failed to answer any of my other questions.

Buh bye.
If you want to nitpick at a post I made several years ago, and I mixed up the blue line and orange line as I use to take the blue line from rosemont as well, the point I was so making is that there are suburbs outside of city limits connected to the cta, midway airport is not that far from oak lawn and is easily within walking distance if not by bicycle, while oak lawn isn't in city limits, it's still within cook county and a suburb of chicago.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, and I've answered your questions, all I'm stating is that northwest Indiana is not part of the Chicago suburbs as it is still located in a different state under different jurisdiction.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
If you want to nitpick at a post I made several years ago, and I mixed up the blue line and orange line as I use to take the blue line from rosemont as well, the point I was so making is that there are suburbs outside of city limits connected to the cta, midway airport is not that far from oak lawn and is easily within walking distance if not by bicycle, while oak lawn isn't in city limits, it's still within cook county and a suburb of chicago.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, and I've answered your questions, all I'm stating is that northwest Indiana is not part of the Chicago suburbs as it is still located in a different state under different jurisdiction.
Sigh.

That post was from less than a year ago.

Like I've said a couple of times, you're very confused on a lot of things.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,746,092 times
Broad Ripple, part 2.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM

36 posts, read 66,105 times
If you don't think NWI is a part of Chicagoland and a suburb of Chicago, you don't have much credibility in this forum. It's cut and dry.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:33 AM

277 posts, read 443,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
If you don't think NWI is a part of Chicagoland and a suburb of Chicago, you don't have much credibility in this forum. It's cut and dry.
Seconded. Debating such a topic isn't very valuable in any sense.

If NWI residents feel like a suburb of Chicago, who's to say they don't feel that way?

Onto the next topic of 'interest' please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana