Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 11:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 14,668,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
What does your drivers license and license plate have for your state? If its not Illinois issued then its not part of Chicago area. In fact the Chicago metropolitan area is only used for economic purposes and is not legally a part of the Chicago suburbs.
I didn't know there was a law involved to be considered a Chicago suburb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,966 times
"Not legally a part of the Chicago suburbs". HAHAHAHA lay off the pills, Pilman.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svillechris View Post
"Not legally a part of the Chicago suburbs". HAHAHAHA lay off the pills, Pilman.
Chris ... I just read a couple of posts in his history. He's 28, moved to Florida from Arlington Hts/Wheeling when he was 16.

And probably the only time he was actually in NWI was driving 65 to Florida.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:27 PM

103 posts, read 257,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
I think he is just trolling
You can assume that, however I have lived in Indiana, I lived in Michigan city for a while and even driving through areas close to chicago, there was quite a distinction in neighborhoods as soon as you hit the indiana state line and go past the railroads, what I'm saying is that northwest Indiana is statistically part of the chicago metropolitan area for economic purposes as there are satellite towns where people work in chicago and go back into Indiana where they live.

Yes there are some similarities like Michigan city you will find more bears and Cubs fans, you will find giardinera in the subways, you will find many people from chicago or even the chicago suburbs but overall Michigan city and much of northwest Indiana is quite different not only in regards to the houses but the infrastructure such as the south short line from Nictd riding on the streets through residential areas, also the amount of factories due to lack of regulation all along Lake Michigan and in people's back yards.

While it may be a part of the chicago metropolitan area for statistical purposes, it's not a Chicago suburb and what im saying is if I told people in florida I lived in the Chicago area and said Michigan city, Indiana they would be confused.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Considering the fact you didn't even answer my question about how long did you Live in Indiana and how recently.
Then to hear you live in Florida. That's a big smoking gun for Trolling.
So the fact I disagree with your opinion suddenly makes me a troll ? I've been on the forums for a few years and I loved in northwest Indiana long enough to know the culture, people, and similiarities to Chicago.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,923 times
Default The Region

When I was in college, we used to call Northwest Indiana part of the REGION.

I don't think we need to dump on Pillman, but I do disagree with their premise that NWI is not to be considered part of the Chicago area (metro or otherwise).

A similar comparison would be St. Louis and its metro area. Most of the population lives west of the Mississippi but there is a sizable population east of the river.

Same thing can be said about Cincinnati metro area. Lawrenceburg is part of the Cincy metro area, but it is in Indiana, not Ohio.

Actually, in some ways a major river (Ohio/Mississippi) provides a much clearer line of separation than a welcome to Indiana/Illinois sign.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,496,073 times
I don't think anyone is debating whether or not Michigan City is a suburb...it clearly is not a suburb...But to say that Munster, Highland, Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John are NOT suburban areas of Chicago is absolutely false. Shoot, I would say there is a closer connection between Munster and Chicago than there is between Beecher and Chicago and Beecher is definitely considered a far south suburb. Living in Michigan City for a minute does not give on credibility in saying that they can determine what areas are suburbs and what are not...so yes, we will dump on him.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I don't think anyone is debating whether or not Michigan City is a suburb...it clearly is not a suburb...But to say that Munster, Highland, Dyer, Schererville, and Saint John are NOT suburban areas of Chicago is absolutely false. Shoot, I would say there is a closer connection between Munster and Chicago than there is between Beecher and Chicago and Beecher is definitely considered a far south suburb. Living in Michigan City for a minute does not give on credibility in saying that they can determine what areas are suburbs and what are not...so yes, we will dump on him.
I've just read more of his past posts.

The last time he was in Chicago was in 2009 - and technically he says he was in Oak Lawn. Waiting for the L.

He's confused about a lot of things.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I've just read more of his past posts.

The last time he was in Chicago was in 2009 - and technically he says he was in Oak Lawn. Waiting for the L.

He's confused about a lot of things.
The L does service near oak lawn, midway airport is literally right nearby and the cta picks up commuters there.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILMAN View Post
The L does service near oak lawn, midway airport is literally right nearby and the cta picks up commuters there.
No. This is what you said:

Quote:
Last time I was in chicago was in 2009 well technically the suburb of oak lawn, never really felt in danger but at dark, some areas feel uncomfortable, I was waiting for the el I think near where all the trains are stored and some of the people creeped the crap out of me but overall never really felt really unsafe, just some rough areas.
You're confused - about a lot of things.

But you're also fairly young, haven't been to the Chicago area in 6 years or the city proper in who knows how long and have refused to answer when exactly you had been to Michigan City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana