Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,068 times

Advertisements

I was referring to my former husband, who was laid off in the early 80's. Preceded by several years of 4 day & 3 day work weeks, before getting the pink slip.

He never went back, foreign steel was already doing its damage to the steel industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 PM

252 posts, read 519,250 times
I know Gary Indiana is rundown and impoverished it's true... When I visited the Michiana Area to visit Notre Dame University back in October 2016 I saw that Northwest Indiana/Michiana isn't all bad actually but yeah I realized that there was damage done to local economy due to out sourcing of industry , its rusty in parts for sure . It has its charms though. There are some nice neighborhoods like Beverly Shores (cool modern vintage houses) , nice homes by Notre Dame in South Bend, Michiana Shores In , Long Beach In, New Buffalo MI and beaches on Lake Michigan and nice parks (Indiana Dunes).

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 05-20-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 AM

20 posts, read 94,252 times
Munster lol

Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
I know Gary Indiana is rundown and impoverished it's true... When I visited the Michiana Area to visit Notre Dame University back in October 2016 I saw that Northwest Indiana/Michiana isn't all bad actually but yeah I realized that there was damage done to local economy due to out sourcing of industry , its rusty in parts for sure . It has its charms though. There are some nice neighborhoods like Beverly Shores (cool modern vintage houses) , nice homes by Notre Dame in South Bend, Michiana Shores In , Long Beach In, New Buffalo MI and beaches on Lake Michigan and nice parks (Indiana Dunes).
South Bend is a unique case. They used to be home to the 4th largest American auto manufacturer, Studebaker. Until in 1963 they closed their main plant in South Bend, which cost the city of 100,000 people, over 7,000 jobs overnight. The city has slowly limped forward ever since, bolstered by the presence of Notre Dame. The region has diversified, but the rust belt image is a haunting reminder of South Bend's darker past.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
South Bend is probably a lot like Muncie. It has a college to save it from total collapse. We use to have a rust-red Studebaker when I was a kid.

I thought Lake County, Indiana was one of the fastest growing areas in the country, but come to find out it has actually shrunk in population from a peak of about 546,000 people in 1970 to about 485,000 people in 2016, according to Wikipedia.

I have known for a long time that Gary, Hammond and East Chicago have been shrinking for several decades, but I thought the rest of the Lake County was in permanent boom mode, with people fleeing Chicago and Illinois for Indiana at break-neck speed for lower taxes and fewer services.

It would be nice if the entire Chicagoland area that stretches from Southeast Wisconsin to Northwest Indiana became it's own state so they wouldn't be a burden to the rest of the state. At 8 or 9 million people, it's certainly large enough and wealthy enough to support it's own self.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
South Bend is probably a lot like Muncie. It has a college to save it from total collapse. We use to have a rust-red Studebaker when I was a kid.

I thought Lake County, Indiana was one of the fastest growing areas in the country, but come to find out it has actually shrunk in population from a peak of about 546,000 people in 1970 to about 485,000 people in 2016, according to Wikipedia.

I have known for a long time that Gary, Hammond and East Chicago have been shrinking for several decades, but I thought the rest of the Lake County was in permanent boom mode, with people fleeing Chicago and Illinois for Indiana at break-neck speed for lower taxes and fewer services.

It would be nice if the entire Chicagoland area that stretches from Southeast Wisconsin to Northwest Indiana became it's own state so they wouldn't be a burden to the rest of the state. At 8 or 9 million people, it's certainly large enough and wealthy enough to support it's own self.
I wouldn't go that far...

St. Joseph County is a lot larger than Delaware County, and it's bordered by Elkhart County with 200,000 people and Laporte County to the west with 160,000 people. It's a more economically diverse and larger area. Granger operates as the Carmel of St. Joseph County, which goes to show there are still enough rich people in the area to keep money flowing into the region. South Bend is still the hub of the region, and is currently at around 3.4% unemployment rating. Rehabbing the old abandoned Studebaker buildings into tech centers is changing the image here.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:

The actual population is 496,005 in Lake County.

Lake County is gaining population quickly within the last 2 years and continues to grow with lots of new construction homebuilding and rising tax problems in Illinois; however, people are moving from all over, not just Illinois. I have neighbors that just moved in from Georgia, Michigan, Ohio and Arkansas to name a few.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2018 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 11:09 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The actual population is 496,005 in Lake County.

Lake County is gaining population quickly within the last 2 years and continues to grow with lots of new construction homebuilding and rising tax problems in Illinois; however, people are moving from all over, not just Illinois. I have neighbors that just moved in from Georgia, Michigan, Ohio and Arkansas to name a few.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Lake County has lost over 10,000 people since 2010.

496,005 is from the 2010 US Census Bureau. In 2016, the same US Census Bureau estimated the population of Lake County to be 485,846. That means the population of Lake County has shrunk by more 10,000 people in 6 years.

Scroll down to the Demographics section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_C...na?wprov=sfla1

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2018 at 06:36 AM..

Old 04-18-2018, 12:04 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Lake County has lost over 10,000 people since 2010.

496,005 is from the 2010 US Census Bureau. In 2016, the same US Census Bureau estimated the population of Lake County to be 485,846. That means the population of Lake County has shrunk by more 10,000 people in 6 years.

Scroll down to the Demographics section:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_C...na?wprov=sfla1

It's an ESTIMATE, not fact. I guess we will truly know in the numbers in the next Census.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:36 PM

811 posts, read 2,338,164 times
The county may have lost something like 10k since 2010 and gained some in the last couple years. By the looks of the graph on this page, it looks to be relatively flat since the late 80s: https://www.google.com/search?q=lake...hrome&ie=UTF-8

That said, it's kind of a pointless discussion to talk about Lake County population trends overall. The difference between the north side of the county and the central/south parts of the county is extreme. To talk about the County's declining or stagnant population doesn't account for the booming population and residential construction in several areas within the county. East Chicago and St John are in the same county, but might as well be on different planets. To group them together is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana