Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

53 posts, read 332,239 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Not much has been written in these forums about East Chicago, Indiana. I have a question.

I have a friend that, due to family reasons, faces the real possibility of relocating to the Chicago, Illinois area. Budget is a serious concern so renting in Chicago might be a real challenge for her. In order to get the most bang for her dollar, she's seriously contemplating moving slightly out of state. She went as far as considering Gary as a possible home base.

After doing a bit of research, I noticed that East Chicago, Indiana was slightly closer to Chicago. She does have a car and would be going driving into Chicago during the non-rush hours a few times a week. Considering the numerous issues that arise when discussing Gary, would East Chicago be a much better choice? Is it considerably safer than Gary? What's the overall feel of East Chicago, Indiana?

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
If she's considering EC, then have her consider Hammond/Robertsdale/Whiting first!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,090 times
Default Please dont move here!

I've been living in East Chicago all of my life. I understand that E.C. is very close to Chicago, but your friend will highly regret living here. It is a horrible place to live. It has such a high crime rate to be such a small town. The city has changed so much. There isnt a decent grocery store or shopping center. The pollution is horrible. I suggest Highland, Scherillville,Merrillville, Munster. Not E.C. it is a horrible place to live.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Have not seen Whiting for a while, but it might be a good option. (others can add on)

Try southern Hammond, parts of Highland or Griffith if your budget is low.
If you can spend a bit more go a bit further south than those.

Do NOT go to GARY if you value your safety and sanity.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Have not seen Whiting for a while, but it might be a good option. (others can add on)

Try southern Hammond, parts of Highland or Griffith if your budget is low.
If you can spend a bit more go a bit further south than those.

Do NOT go to GARY if you value your safety and sanity.
Whiting is a quiet town, much safer than East Chicago. Its close proximity to the Skyway Bridge into Chicago would be a great timesaver.

Highland or Griffith is ok, but you might spend time sitting in traffic on 80-94 as you make trips into Chicago.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 19,012 times
Live in Hegewich on the Indiana and Illnois border. Most southern tip on the South East Side of Chicago. I's a small older community. not to expensive, and right off the Shoth Shore Train line into Chicago. Lake County is Dirty and the taxes may be cheap as far as food and gas and cigarettes goes.(Solution: just drive over state lines.) But the air is Horrible! And the property taxes are a JOKE in Lake County Indiana.

East Chicago is nothing like Chicago and it's a bad neighborhood ,high in crime! I would compare it to GARY.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Hegewisch is right across the border from Whiting. Do you really think your air is cleaner?
The polution in South Cook County is every bit as polluted. Sheesh.

Cook County's property taxes are significantly higher than Lake County Indiana. I've lived in both places. Hegewisch isn't somewhere where I'd like to live.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
artemis-you took the words right out of my mouth!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:12 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,658 times
I was born in E. Chicago and my dad was a cop there.

30-35 years ago it was relatively nice from what I remember in my childhood days...really good basketball teams too!...it is a different story today though...my grandmother moved to Griffith to get out.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
EC Central High School was on lockdown a couple days ago due to groups fighting each other. It's not the safest place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana