Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

If you want to spend less time commuting to work, and don't mind a bit of a schlep (really, not that bad) to get to DC for dinner or whatnot, I would consider the City of Fairfax. You can find a townhouse, or a single-family house in easy walking or bicycling distance of the campus. And, you can drive, too, in mere minutes, on secondary roads, where the worst issue is an extra stop light, no matter the delays that can crop up on the highways. It's suburban, but there is a downtown area that has some shops, coffee houses, and restaurants. While you might not be in range for the newer two-car garage luxury townhouses, you can find some nice, generally older, single-family homes in the city that are respectable. A colonial style might be a stretch, but you could find a ranch house or split-level house with relative ease, even toward the lower end of your budget.

And, you can easily take the train to DC if you are so inclined, and don't even have to drive if you take the city's own CUE bus. Spending less time behind the wheel for a daily commute in this region makes good sense for many because most days you could be at GMU in about 40 minutes from DC (where your budget is more in line with a condo), there are some days when it could take well over an hour, and the return (if anywhere near rush hour) can take an hour to return to many DC neighborhoods without any undue delays. Non-rush, it's about 30 minutes, but not during rush hour, even with a reverse commute, as there are delays on I-66 west, and Route 50 west in the morning.

I agree that Falls Church and Vienna are also well worth considering because you're minutes away from GMU, and don't have to use the highways to get there; and, it's a reverse commute, too. Both have developed downtown areas, and proximity to Metro, or a non-stressful drive to DC, non-rush. Falls Church is a bit closer to DC, but Vienna and Fairfax share the last stop on the orange line train.

Arlington is also a good area to consider, for many of the same reasons, but the housing can get more expensive in much of Arlington. Alexandria can be good, but the commute can take a little longer to get to Fairfax because traffic tends to build on The Beltway at Springfield, and you'd need to go to Braddock Road. That can turn a 25-30 minute drive into 45-50 minutes, easily.

Fair Lakes has newer housing stock, and would be a great area to consider, and you can avoid most of the crush of traffic headed from the west in the morning if you were to use some of the side roads around the area, though Braddock and Main Street can have traffic. There's a way through neighborhoods, though, that brings you to GMU's Field House without any stress, so I'd not cross that area off the list, either.

Whatever you decide, don't feel as though you're coming to an area that's intolerant, since many people here are well-educated and well-traveled.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Agree with above. Want to emphasize from someone who has done it. If you want a nightlife, go to where it is. You will commute to work, but commuting to where the fun is might involve drinking issues, but most likely just becoming a dull suburbanite.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM

722 posts, read 1,980,757 times
I work at Mason, and several of my colleagues are gay. Some live close to campus in the Fairfax City area - they have great commutes and room for their dogs, but no nightlife. Others live in the Arlington area and have less desirable commutes and less space for their money, but better nightlife. So it kind of depends on the tradeoffs you want to make. Either community will not raise their eyebrows at a gay couple, overall.

I commute to Mason from Falls Church, and the ride is an easy 20 minutes against traffic. You could do it from Arlington in 30 in the morning, if you are able to quickly hop on I-66. But it might take a little longer in the afternoon. Folks on this forum often suggest renting temporarily for a year and getting a feel for the area, and I tend to agree with that, even if it is a pain to move twice. It can be nice to build a social network before spending the money to buy, knowing where your friends live. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrspadg View Post
Seriously.....this is such a silly post. It is 2010 and gay people are everywhere. You should not worry about what others think of you...live where you want to live and live how you want to live. If your neighbors have a problem with you being gay than remember it is their problem and not yours.
Oh really? I take it you're not gay. We're still not comfortable holding hands in public in the District, let alone in the 'burbs. It may be "their problem" but, for gay people, there is still a safety factor involved in choosing a place to live. Things you take for granted, well, we can't.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:51 AM

8 posts, read 27,519 times
Thank you again for the information and for your opinions. It is nice to hear how many of you are so enlightened that you question even bringing up the whole "gay thing". However, not everyone feels as you do. Having grown up in the south and lived in Mass for 20 plus years I have been on both sides of the political spectrum - hence my phrasing of my original post. I am looking forward to returning south (although I guess it is debatable as to whether NOVA is the south :=). If everyone is as helpful as most of you have been then I will be in good shape.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,671 times
Thumbs up Attention: GLBT - home buyer$ - Alexandria

If your looking to buy a home in NoVa. There is a very lovely older suburban community called Lincolnia Park that very " Gay Friendly ". It's a very warm, welcoming community in which several of US live ( particularly in proximity of Braddock Rd. / Cherokee Ave. / Chowan Ave. ). The homes are reasonably priced! The area is beautiful with tree lined streets and larger lots. It 's easily commutable into the city as its located off of Little River turnpike on a bus line, and of course is ideally located for shopping : ) Please remember in your search - who our neighbors are has a huge impact on the way we as a community live. FYI... I'm not a realtor, just a very HAPPY resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia