Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,833 times

Advertisements

Like smithy said, Northern Virginia is a very educated and affluent area. I think diversity and tolerance are two of the best things about living in the area.

We live in Burke (Fairfax County). It's probably one of the more conservative areas of Northern Virginia. I can say without any hesitation that you would be very comfortable in our neighborhood!

Welcome to Northern Virginia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Figured I'd chime in. I'm gay and have lived somewhat close to GMU and now live closer-in. I absolutely love living closer-in. but looking at why I love living closer-in has nothing to do with living in a gay friendly area. It has more to do with spending less time driving to party and visit with friend with cities. If I was older and married there would be less reason to cross the bridge into the city.

So i would take the gay friendly equation out of the matter and like others have said, look for a place that you like there are gay folks all over the area. Do you want a more urban area or do you want a quiet spot in the suburbs. While not exactly urban, Falls Church was featured in one of the gay magazines like a year ago as the sleeper spot for gay couples. Its not city living for sure but you'd be just 20 minutes from the excitement of DC if you were in a small older home in downtown Falls Church. Arlington is another option if you want to be closer to the action but you'd have to trade in a longer commute. But it'd still be about 30 minutes maybe a couple minutes more. For somewhere quiet there's as mentioned Burke or just find a house close to GMU. Remember the further out you live the more you get for your money. So suburbs past Fairfax like Centreville are an option. Clifton would be so quiet but still close to work. No matter where you choose to live don't worry about anti-gay folks. Welcome to VA!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 AM

25 posts, read 95,421 times
Default Gay neighborhood?

Seriously.....this is such a silly post. It is 2010 and gay people are everywhere. You should not worry about what others think of you...live where you want to live and live how you want to live. If your neighbors have a problem with you being gay than remember it is their problem and not yours.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,504 times
Fairfax City is a nice area and abuts GMU for an easy commute. That's where I would start looking. I can't offer much on housing costs in the city, but you should be able to find older homes in your price range and certainly some condos.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrspadg View Post
Seriously.....this is such a silly post. It is 2010 and gay people are everywhere. You should not worry about what others think of you...live where you want to live and live how you want to live. If your neighbors have a problem with you being gay than remember it is their problem and not yours.

True enough...but even in 2010 there can be places where people are not so welcoming or tolerant. Fortunately that's not really the case here.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrspadg View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it will not matter as far anyone bothering a gay person is concerned. Actually I think that the most hate crimes in the DC area seem to be in gay friendly areas in the city. But after living in a few places in good ol' Northern Virginia in the past year and a half, I think living in outer burbs versus closer the city is definitely an issue to consider. I think depends really on the lifestyle that one leads.

Closer-in would be the way of the day if a couple likes to go out and party a lot and further out would be the choice for a couple that prefers quiet evenings at home versus the noise and chaos of the city. While this is an issue for straight people to consider as well. Numbers wise it is a louder concern for a gay couple. There are just way fewer gay folks outside the beltway than inside the beltway which def has me at the conclusion that inside the beltway is overall better socially for gay folks. So it all depends, really I'm sure population numbers are less of an issue if one is coupled but still a valid concern nonetheless.

Last edited by terrence81; 04-09-2010 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM

110 posts, read 248,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBen View Post
I am a 45 year old gay, married man moving to NoVA from Boston sometime this summer. I will be working at GMU (Fairfax campus). I can't stand the idea of commuting very far (30 minutes tops). Any suggestions on where we could live and feel comfortable? Our housing budget is between 350-450K. Thanks in advance for your help!
I'm completely confused as to why this original question was even stated this way.

I mean seriously, are we still so backwards as a society that this poor bastid feels the need to tell us his sexual orientation when attempting to find a place or area to live in?

I was popping around here when I was asking for advice like SO MANY OTHERS, and I never see anyone starting off the post with stating what the color of their skin is... Or whether male or female... Or what country they're from.

What freakin difference does it make that you're gay? You wanna be gay? Go be freakin gay! What do I care where you wanna live? Live right next door to me for all I care! You're free American like everyone else in this country (Well, like we're all supposed to be anyway).

I just don't understand why we're still at a place in history where you feel the need to refer to your sexual orientation? Is it so you can find out where a gay hood is, so you can live amongst your kind free from oppression kind of crap? Cuz if that's the reason, I guess I understand, but that sucks you should even have to deal with that at all.

And for all of you homo-phobes out there that don't want this guy living next to you... Shame on you! Let me tell you something about gay people... They pretty much like... You know.. Other gay people. They stick to themselves for the most part. Your kids are safe! Child molesters are NEVER gay dudes!

No I'm not gay! I'm a happily married, 42-year old white guy with 2 kids that drive me crazy and could really give a SH-- where these people live.

Is it too late to digress? I get fired up sometimes!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymax View Post
I'm completely confused as to why this original question was even stated this way.

I mean seriously, are we still so backwards as a society that this poor bastid feels the need to tell us his sexual orientation when attempting to find a place or area to live in?
I thought the question was reasonable. People ask variations on that question all the time.

I can recall other people asking "I'm a party animal, what neighborhoods would you recommend for me." Or: "I'm Jewish, what neighborhoods would I like." Or: "I'm a bit of a good old boy, where would I be comfortable." Even "I'm really a computer nerd, what neighborhoods will have lots of computer stores and other people like me."

Maybe they want to find friends/dates with similar interests. Maybe they hope to find stores or restaurants or churches that will service particular needs.

Let's not jump on each other for asking a simple question. If you disagree, you can say so nicely without attacking. People who are moving here have all sorts of questions and should feel comfortable to ask them.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM

461 posts, read 909,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Arlington/Alexandria are probably good bets, though I'm not sure if you'd be able to get to GMU in less than 30 minutes door to door depending on where you live. The closer you are to GMU or the closer you are to DC, the better off you'll be
Haven't read the whole thread, but this is the best advice I've seen so far. The Reston/Sterling/Potomac Falls boosterism on this board is phenomenal. Reston is 30 minutes away and is just like the rest of the area around GMU -- suburbs with families. Go east. Alexandra and Shirlington are doable as far as commute goes, and definitely what you're looking for. If you can afford trendy Old Town Alexandria, you're home. No one is going to beat you up in the exburbs, but it you want a gay lifestyle, it's not where you want to be. In fact, if you want a lifestyle at all, it's not the place to be.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:15 PM

461 posts, read 909,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but this is the best advice I've seen so far. The Reston/Sterling/Potomac Falls boosterism on this board is phenomenal. Reston is 30 minutes away and is just like the rest of the area around GMU -- suburbs with families. Go east. Alexandra and Shirlington are doable as far as commute goes, and definitely what you're looking for. If you can afford trendy Old Town Alexandria, you're home. No one is going to beat you up in the exburbs, but it you want a gay lifestyle, it's not where you want to be. In fact, if you want a lifestyle at all, it's not the place to be.
There's something trendy about Del Ray in Alexandria that I don't understand. Something to check out too. Bonus for Alexandria, is that DC is about five minutes away due to the bridges, where there is plenty of gay action. Not an advocate for that lifestyle one way or the other, just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia