Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,189,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloclo1976 View Post
My wife, son and I are moving in DC area and we really need advice on where we can live on a tight budget $1200 - $1300 for rent for a 2 bedroom apt.
I will be working near H street and I was told Fairfax is the best. How is the commute from Fairfax to H street? I have no idea as I am not familiar with DC.

Any advice will be very appreciated.

Many thanks
Were you told about Fairfax City or Fairfax County (which happens to include the City of Fairfax as well)? In either case, a 2BR apt that can be found in your price range won't be in an area that is a popular choice for families. You'll either have to up your rental range - $1400-1800 - or move further out to Prince William County which would be a strenuous commute.

As for the commute, it depends on whether you choose to use the Metrorail (which is often preferred due to traffic) or drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 04:57 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,189,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACP_BU View Post
really... am I close? or WAYYY FAR
Pretty far.

In convenient areas like Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax County, $800-1000 to a share an apt or house is realistic. Perhaps slightly less in Loudoun, even less in Prince William and Stafford. However, if you could somehow find a place for $500 in the latter two, it would likely come with a myriad of compromises, not the least of which would be a commute of an hour or more.

Regarding a 3BR apt or home for $1200, that is highly unlikely unless you were able to find a private owner. Apartment complexes in moderately desirable and convenient areas would likely run $1600-2000. Again, you could save significantly in Prince William or Stafford Counties... but there would be tradeoffs.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:01 PM

313 posts, read 552,304 times
DC

For real. You are extremely far off...you're looking at least double budet and then you're probably at least an hour and half out for your morning commute to the district. You need at least 1100 for a decent 1 br and more around 1800ish for a 3br that will give at least a "doable"(< an hour and a half) commute in the morning...

Old 02-20-2010, 05:40 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,428,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DACP_BU View Post
hey everyone,

I am in the same boat, I will be moving to VA in 4 months working at DC. Looking around i have noticed that DC is very expensive, i am seen fairfax, stafford any area no longer than 45 min from DC. I will be sending for my family in about 8 months later(spouse and two minors) so looking for an apartment no more than 500 a month for 8 months (anything with a celling on it), later no more than 1,200 for a 3 room. Your feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.
During rush hour, Stafford is going to be more than 45 minutes away from DC. I think that the train is about an hour and twenty minutes to Stafford. You should look around Springfield for 45-minutes on the train as it's the end of the Metro Line, and also connects to VRE. Woodbridge is about 45-minutes (scheduled time) on the VRE train from DC. And, your budget would work more in the Prince William County area if you want a house/townhouse for $1200 or so. Commuting via the VRE or Prince William bus would be far easier than driving to DC, even if you're in a carpool. If you do look in that area, the Lake Ridge area is a nice community, just across the Occoquan River from Fairfax County.

You can look for smaller houses that are sometimes on the market that are closer-in, say West Springfield, Fairfax, Annandale, etc. and you might get lucky and find one between $1200-$1400 for a single or a townhouse. Most are going to start around the $1600 range, but it's not too impossible a proposition to find something a tad less expensive, especially if you're flexible for a house that might only have one bathroom, or a small lot on a somewhat busy road, etc.

For a place for your own for around $500, I would actually look to a share, perhaps if you could find a room on the basement level of a townhouse or something like that. I agree with Caladium that it's very low for a single apartment, but possible with roommates.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 15,664 times
thanks to ALL for your info!!! we appreciated. The one bedroom or efficiency like they call it on the rentals website is what iam interested in for the first eight months but actualy i will look for the roomate obtion like Caladium and bmwguydc indicated. I have been reading alot about Prince William County I will give that a look also...hey this relocating is nerveracking thanks for all your good info.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 15,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
During rush hour, Stafford is going to be more than 45 minutes away from DC. I think that the train is about an hour and twenty minutes to Stafford. You should look around Springfield for 45-minutes on the train as it's the end of the Metro Line, and also connects to VRE. Woodbridge is about 45-minutes (scheduled time) on the VRE train from DC. And, your budget would work more in the Prince William County area if you want a house/townhouse for $1200 or so. Commuting via the VRE or Prince William bus would be far easier than driving to DC, even if you're in a carpool. If you do look in that area, the Lake Ridge area is a nice community, just across the Occoquan River from Fairfax County.

You can look for smaller houses that are sometimes on the market that are closer-in, say West Springfield, Fairfax, Annandale, etc. and you might get lucky and find one between $1200-$1400 for a single or a townhouse. Most are going to start around the $1600 range, but it's not too impossible a proposition to find something a tad less expensive, especially if you're flexible for a house that might only have one bathroom, or a small lot on a somewhat busy road, etc.

For a place for your own for around $500, I would actually look to a share, perhaps if you could find a room on the basement level of a townhouse or something like that. I agree with Caladium that it's very low for a single apartment, but possible with roommates.

Hey I verified Prince William it looks like a winner to me THANKS for the info!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: