Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,613 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the NOVA/DC area in the fall to work in Tysons corner. I've read everywhere how terrible the commute is but havent seen many places that suggest good neighborhoods. I'm only 24 and would like to be somewhere that has decent nightlife and access to DC via the metro but would rather not spend 2 hours a day in the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,207,431 times
Live in Tysons. You'll only be there a few months before the Metro takes you right into the city. Ideal situation that most people don't have.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,154,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Live in Tysons. You'll only be there a few months before the Metro takes you right into the city. Ideal situation that most people don't have.
. Yes, live in Tyson's.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Whats the pricing like for apartments around Tysons? And is it just all office buildings and malls?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 PM

and how bad would it be commuting from alexandria or dupont, with work hours of around 8:30am-6:00pm

Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM

15 posts, read 26,339 times
Tysons is a good area. Another good one is Ballston. Lots of stuff to do, and you will be against traffic, so that helps. Also, if you want fun stuff and night life, alexandria along King St is fun, but there are some interesting areas...

Commuting from Northern Alexandria is not too bad. You will be going against most traffic, so it will help. Dupont can be a little rough if you are driving, but when the metro comes into Tysons you can just ride that.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,938,706 times
How much can you spend on rent? Are you planning to live alone, or would you consider getting a roommate(s)? Are you willing to drive to work, or did you want to use public transportation?

Most new residents in your age cohort don't actually live in the Tyson's Corner area, even if they work there. As you suspected, it's mostly office towers, shopping centers, and apartments/condos. But you don't have to live in Dupont Circle to get a more walkable, urban location. The Ballston corridor (on Metro's Orange line) draws lots of 20-somethings. If you don't mind moving twice in a few months, you might consider getting a short-term apartment at Tyson's to give you an easy commute, and then spend some time exploring the other areas that interest you. You can even test out the commute from those spots. If you haven't done it before, you might be surprised at how much a sub-optimal commute can negatively affect your life.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM

I'm considering getting a roommate to be cost effective. I'd ideally like to spend around $1300 which doesnt seem doable to get a 1 bedroom at that price.

I'm definitely willing to drive to work which sounds like it will be around 30mins to Tysons corner (by tysons galleria) from Ballston. Does that sound about right/

Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,922,398 times
you'll be going against traffic from ballston going into tysons from 66 for sure in the mornings. It'll take you about 20-25 mins, depending if there is some sort of delay on 66.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM

15 posts, read 26,339 times
1300 is a pretty rough budget. You might be looking at renting a room in a townhouse, or a basement. I would check Craigslist, just be a bit weary. If you are willing to extend your drive to 45 minutes, you can look around Reston. Some nice areas there, plus all the trails/pools/etc. And there is Reston Town Center which is a lot of fun. If not, Ballston is a good bet, but I don't know if you will find much for your price range. Especially right now. Prices are highest in the summer due to everyone moving. If you can get a temporary for a few months and look in the winter, you might be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia