Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

It's a Monday morning, we've all survived yet another commute to work. It's time for some more tongue-in-cheek fun.

Today's challenge: If Northern Virginia was a state, what would be our official symbols?

To get us started, here are the symbols for Virginia:

In Virginia the state beverage is milk
The state bird is the cardinal
The state dance is the square dance
The state dog is the American Foxhound
The state fish is the Brook Trout
The state flower is the American Dogwood
The state fossil is the mussel shell
The state insect is the Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
The state shell is the oyster
The state tree is the Dogwood
The state boat is the Chesapeake Bay Deadrise
The state motto is "Virginia is for Lovers"

So, if Nova was a state, what would be the equivalents?

Examples:

In Virginia the state tree is the Dogwood; in Nova the state tree would be that tree that money grows on.

In Virginia the state motto is "Virginia is for Lovers"; in Nova it would be "Nova is for Drivers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
In Virginia the state tree is the Trout; in Nova the state fish would be the Snakehead.

Oh, and I think I saw someone give me the official state bird of Nova when I was stuck in traffic....

Old 11-16-2009, 07:01 AM

In honor of ScranBarre...

In Virginia the state dance is the square dance; in Nova the state dance would be the Route 7 Cha Cha.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 AM

In VA, the state fossil is the mussell shell.
In NoVA the state fossil is Robert E. Simon!

(Bob's a friend of mine so I can get away with saying that. I hope... )

Old 11-16-2009, 07:09 AM

We have a state boat? Really????! I hope they didn't waste too much legislative time picking which boat would be our state boat.

I'm not really sure what should be the Nova Boat, but since we have a boatload of people moving here I guess we'll need one....

Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 AM

The one I wonder about is how milk became our state beverage. Is that because we're so good at milking the feds for more jobs?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 AM

After yet another mellow Sunday out at the wineries, I think the Nova Beverage should be Cabernet Franc.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
In honor of ScranBarre...

In Virginia the state dance is the square dance; in Nova the state dance would be the Route 7 Cha Cha.
Oh great, normie, you just made me spit the 'state' beverage of NoVA (I nominate federal agency cafeteria coffee) all over my plasma screen.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We have a state boat? Really????! I hope they didn't waste too much legislative time picking which boat would be our state boat.

I'm not really sure what should be the Nova Boat, but since we have a boatload of people moving here I guess we'll need one....

Chesapeake Bay deadrise is a boat design popular among commercial watermen all over the Bay. They are ideal for the conditions prevalent on the Bay.

Not sure why Virginia is claiming it as their own....I'm sure Maryland waterman would not agree. But then again, VA & MD have never agreed on ANYTHING...including even where the border is!

Bloody "oyster wars" raged on the Bay for decades. To this day in Tangier Sound the VA-MD border is marked by large and closely spaced buoys. They don't shoot at each other anymore, but Maryland watermen still are supposed to stay north of the buoys and "ginnymen" to the south of them.

Have a look at the deadrise workboat:

Chesapeake Bay deadrise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Oh great, normie, you just made me spit the 'state' beverage of NoVA (I nominate federal agency cafeteria coffee) all over my plasma screen.
Mmmm mmm mmmm Federal Agency cafeteria coffee. Nothing else quite like it.

Yup, I think we have an official drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia