Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times

Advertisements

I have been told by many people that Fair Oaks is better but I was not impressed when I took my Mom there for an emergency -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM

182 posts, read 540,642 times
I too wasn't impressed with Fair Oaks when I took a friend there for an emergency last year. They seemed to be more into the "drama" of the story rather than actually treating my friend.

Fairfax hospital is much bigger, but still haven't heard too many great stories from there. IMO Reston Hospital (2 ER visits) and Virginia Hospital Center seem to be the most highly regarded in the area.

I'm definately curious what others think....

Old 11-05-2009, 10:26 PM

230 posts, read 757,930 times
I've taken my daughter to Fairfax Inova Hospital ER several times over the last few years. She has always received excellent care.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:47 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,150 times
I've had the same surgery at both hospitals and much perfered my experience at Fairfax.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
I've heard some good things about Fairfax, but all my personal experiences here in Nova have been at Reston Hospital. I just had kidney stone surgery in September, and Reston Hospital impressed me. Everything from the pre-op to the post-op was top notch. The only problem I had was my surgery was delayed by half an hour because an emergency patient came in and my doctor needed to assist in that situation.

BTW, parking can be hard to find at Reston Hospital. As a solution, they have free valet parking for patients. I strongly recommend using this service.

If you want to know more about Reston Hospital in detail, I wrote a lengthy report about my surgery on the Health and Wellness forum.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:03 AM

247 posts, read 1,141,097 times
Has anyone delivered babies at either of these hospitals? My friend who lives in Springfield has to choose between them (her dr. delivers at both). She's thinking Fairfax would be better just b/c it has a level one NICU, supposedly one of the best in the country. I've heard that Fair Oaks was more personal though, being so much smaller. I guess Fairfax just churns out the babies - I think they were 6th in the country for deliveries last year.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,231 times
The folks at Inova Fairfax saved my son's life. So I'm biased, but I'm a big fan. It is a huge hospital, though, and their nurses are terribly overworked, especially on the weekends.

As far as delivering babies goes, I've actually heard the most positive reviews from friends who have delivered at Arlington. If that's not an option, I'd go with Fairfax because of their excellent NICU.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I think it depends on why you are going to the hospital and what the nature of your emergency is.

Fairfax Hospital is a big and busy place. If you walk into the ER waiting area (child sick in the middle of the night, urinary tract infection, etc), you'll probably have a bit of a wait before you are seen. In situations like that, the Springfield Healthplex might be a better (and quicker) choice.

If you have a life threatening emergency (chest pain, trouble breathing, etc) and come in via ambulance the response will be much quicker. Overall, the diagnostic tools/resources/staff at Fairfax Hospital seem to be very good.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
The folks at Inova Fairfax saved my son's life. So I'm biased, but I'm a big fan. It is a huge hospital, though, and their nurses are terribly overworked, especially on the weekends.

As far as delivering babies goes, I've actually heard the most positive reviews from friends who have delivered at Arlington. If that's not an option, I'd go with Fairfax because of their excellent NICU.
This is one of the reasons I chose to deliver my babies at Fairfax Hospital. I wasn't expecting anything to go wrong during the deliveries (and nothing did) but if there was a problem I thought that Fairfax was the best place to be.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 AM

230 posts, read 757,930 times
My neice delivered her baby at Fairfax Hospital several years ago. She travelled all the way from Prince Frederick, Maryland to deliver her baby at Fairfax Hospital because she was carrying a child that was going to need immediate NICU specialized care upon birth. Her child was a miracle baby - the staff at Fairfax Hospital NICU provided outstanding care. Today, as a special needs child, she is thriving in spite of the medical challenges she will face the rest of her life. If it had not been for the top notch doctors and staff at Fairfax Hospital, her child may have not survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia