Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 AM

154 posts, read 505,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunespinoza View Post
When they ask you to "voluntarily" state your race/gender; check the box for American Indian. I've always noticed on flight to DC, the business people are NOT wearing formal business attire (black pin stripe, white shirt), so maybe you should take that green polyester leisure suit to the cleaners.
The longest year of my life was spent as a statistician in the Office of Equal Opportunity, within a very large Federal Agency. Some of the worst cafeteria food I have ever witnesses, and that includes 12 years of public school service.

It always get sketchy when they ask you to "voluntarily" check the race/gender box that SHOULD have no bearings on whether you get the job or not. I just check black and female b/c if they don't want me there, I don't want to slide in from the side then hate my work environment b/c they wanted another race/gender. I just got finished working at this racist Contract company that was FULL of sexual harrassment and I don't look forward to being in that situation again. I gladly want them to pass me by if that kind of stuff matters to them that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,899,261 times
I'm probably a freak of nature in this regard, but I got the first gov't job (at a national, insanely corrupt, I've come to discover, cultural institution) I applied for coming out of grad school. Because of that, I used to run around extolling the virtues of the "objective" federal application process, with its endless KSAs, questionnaires, etc. At this point I'm as a jaded as one can be about the gov't as an employer and just think I happened to be extremely lucky back then.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

154 posts, read 505,860 times
Angry Corrupt companies...oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I'm probably a freak of nature in this regard, but I got the first gov't job (at a national, insanely corrupt, I've come to discover, cultural institution) I applied for coming out of grad school. Because of that, I used to run around extolling the virtues of the "objective" federal application process, with its endless KSAs, questionnaires, etc. At this point I'm as a jaded as one can be about the gov't as an employer and just think I happened to be extremely lucky back then.
I would love to work for the government. It was wierd b/c after getting out the Army, the contract company was like, NO rules here! It was VERY corrupt. I went thru a lot to get over all the crap I had to deal with there and almost switched careers to avoid going thru that ever again. But after much soul searching, I decided to stay in my career, however, I am A LOT more selective of who I decide to work for. Like someone once told me, "You should be interviewing and checking out the company even as they are interviewing you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia