Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM

139 posts, read 292,919 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the best way to monitor flu outbreaks? Is there a good website or something? Our preschool doesn't inform us when people get the flu, so I want to know more generally when it's really hitting. Since it's preschool, I don't think that missing a week is a problem, but I don't want to take our child out all season. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:20 PM

139 posts, read 292,919 times
Got my flu shot just now. Just in time, as I hear that they're running out.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM

27 posts, read 75,101 times
Va. Dept. of Health:

Virginia Department of Health

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM

239 posts, read 641,911 times
There was a great editorial in yesterday's Washington Times about the "Piglett Flu." It's all hype. Flu deaths are way down. The CDC has lost a lot of credibility on this one.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
CDC also halted testing by the states when the results indicated that H1N1 was being hyped by the federal government.

Swine Flu Cases Overestimated? - CBS News

Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Uhh I don't think I'll be getting the bacon fever vaccine:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/101709_Disabled_Woman_Completes_8K

I don't get the normal flu vaccine, so why risk getting the bacon fever one.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
I saw something yesterday where someone was saying that it would probably peak the end of Oct beginning of Nov, and all those H1N1 vaccines the gov't paid for that will now not be ready until mid Nov will be for naught.

I am not minimizing the amount of deaths from this but the CDC and media are only reporting the numbers from those who actually went to the doctor, how many more didn't seek treatment and are over it. To me that skews the numbers that are being reported. Several of my son's friends have had it and it was the flu, nothing more. One said he threw up so it was like the flu and a stomach virus. O course I am skeptical of anything the gov't says so maybe it makes my thoughts skewed. LOL

Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I am not minimizing the amount of deaths from this but the CDC and media are only reporting the numbers from those who actually went to the doctor, how many more didn't seek treatment and are over it. To me that skews the numbers that are being reported. Several of my son's friends have had it and it was the flu, nothing more. One said he threw up so it was like the flu and a stomach virus. O course I am skeptical of anything the gov't says so maybe it makes my thoughts skewed. LOL
My cousin who just visited of England was telling me about when she had swine flu a month or so ago. She was down for 2-3 weeks, and it sounded like the combination of a regular flu and a stomach flu. Absolutely miserable, but she didn't die (or come close). She actually said she got worse after going to the doctor and getting Tamaflu.

And you're right, by only reporting who goes to the doctor the numbers are typically skewed in that they only document the most severe cases. There's no way to count the people who just stay home and hunker down until it's over (like I did with the flu two years ago).

Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,933,235 times
I'm leery about getting my kids the regular vaccines for school, no way I am shooting them up with an experimental vaccine, that could not have been properly tested in this short amount of time. I'll pass

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
My kids attend Prince William County schools. The school system's website is how I keep on top of outbreaks. There's an option that allows me to receive different types of alerts through a recorded phone call or text message to my blackberry. So far, my family has been lucky when it comes to H1N1. I've had coworkers and friends of my kids come down with it. We've managed to avoid it...knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlumpen View Post
Does anyone know the best way to monitor flu outbreaks? Is there a good website or something? Our preschool doesn't inform us when people get the flu, so I want to know more generally when it's really hitting. Since it's preschool, I don't think that missing a week is a problem, but I don't want to take our child out all season. Thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia