Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 12:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

Given how expensive NOVA is, how much do you think a single person with no kids would need in order to live comfortably in the area? I'd probably want to live closer to downtown, but close enough to do the reverse commute out to the Dulles Tech corridor in case I end up working there. I realize this is a broad question and depends on what your definition of "comfortably" is. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much I'll need cause the last thing I want is to move and then feel like I'm barely scraping by. Basically, I only need a two-bedroom place. I'd start by renting for a year and then buy once I get better acquainted with the area. I don't want or need a single-family home and since I don't have kids, I don't need to be near good schools, though I don't want to be near bad ones either. Except for a car payment, I have no other major expenses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:08 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,265 times
Although there are 1,000s of threads like this on this forum, I'll help you out.

$50k-$60k will allow you to live comfortably and not "really" have to worry about being cheap on certain things to get by. It'll allow you to buy materialistic things once in awhile for your own pleasure.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM

131 posts, read 426,319 times
with no car payment, a roommate, living in the outer burbs, some student loans, I figure $1500/month can get you by. that said, i wouldn't feel "comfortable" unless I had some buffer and was saving some every month.

In a yuppie area, I figure $2500/month to get by.

I'm sure many will disagree.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:16 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
I'm not sure, I'm thinking closer to $60,000K?

My friend's daughter has a job making $53,000. She wants to move to Clarendon (rent) but doesn't feel like she can do it without a roommate or two. Ideally, she does not want to spend more than about $800 on rent at that salary. She has no car payment, no student loans, no debt. But I guess she wants to rent and still be able to do things like buy gas, eat, go out occasionally, get her hair done. Right now, she doesn't feel that she can do that on her own with that salary.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

My friend's daughter has a job making $53,000. She wants to move to Clarendon (rent) but doesn't feel like she can do it without a roommate or two. Ideally, she does not want to spend more than about $800 on rent at that salary. She has no car payment, no student loans, no debt. But I guess she wants to rent and still be able to do things like buy gas, eat, go out occasionally, get her hair done. Right now, she doesn't feel that she can do that on her own with that salary.
Just curious, but why does she not want to pay more than $800? I have a similar salary, pay more in rent, but feel that I live pretty comfortably. Even with car insurance, higher rent, and student loans I still have plenty left over for eating out, gym membership, entertainment, and putting at least $200/month in my "travel fund" (a.k.a. my money market account). My hair hasn't been cut in a while, but that has more to do with me being too busy to make an appointment than money.

If she can do it, that's great, but she by no means "has" to in order to survive. I know plenty of GS-9's (~$50k) who live alone in Dupont, Adams Morgan, Capitol Hill, and Chinatown.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:51 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Regarding the original question, a starting GS-7 salary is about $41,000 and I've known several people making that and being able to survive. Some have roommates, some don't, and the vast majority of those I know live in DC itself. I made less when I first came here 2 years ago and had no problems. It's not easy, but you look hard for a more affordable place (if you're going to drive anyway, look at places more than a mile from a Metro station, the prices drop and parking is often free), watch your account, and learn where to find deals.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:23 PM

59 posts, read 162,450 times
Alot depends on your choice of lifestyle and debt load. The best thing you can do to answer this question is research the cost of housing. This will have the biggest impact on your income. Some people can go the roommate-in-a-suburb route (cheap) while others want to live on their own in a hopping area like Arlington(expensive).

As for the rest of your budget, set up an excel spreadsheet and break down your expenses. Budget reasonably for retirement, emergency fund savings, and entertainment/travel (the other big, yet flexible line items). This will tell you what you need to live comfortably and within reason.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:32 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

That's rather low for rent. With that income, she could certainly pay more for rent. My son made only slightly more than that with his first job out of college and he paid considerably more for a nice one bedroom apartment in Reston. I think it was around $1,200. He never had a roommate. He still went out to dinner frequently, gets rather expensive haircuts, bought all new things to furnish his apartment, kept his old BMW running, and went on vacations. Your friend's daughter must be saving LOTs of money since she's likely to be bringing home around $3,000 a month.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
Although there are 1,000s of threads like this on this forum, I'll help you out.

$50k-$60k will allow you to live comfortably and not "really" have to worry about being cheap on certain things to get by. It'll allow you to buy materialistic things once in awhile for your own pleasure.
Agree. People get by who make in the $40's, but over $50 would be more comfortable.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Regarding the original question, a starting GS-7 salary is about $41,000 and I've known several people making that and being able to survive. Some have roommates, some don't, and the vast majority of those I know live in DC itself. I made less when I first came here 2 years ago and had no problems. It's not easy, but you look hard for a more affordable place (if you're going to drive anyway, look at places more than a mile from a Metro station, the prices drop and parking is often free), watch your account, and learn where to find deals.
I'm assuming those without roommates with that salary and paying $800 rent are getting familiar with Maruchan (ramen noodles) and Chef Boyardee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: