Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,083 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I received a ticket for not coming to a complete stop at a Stop sign...more of a rolling stop. I know I should have come to a complete stop, and I always do, but my 2-yr old was cranky in the back seat and I just wanted to get home and give him his snack. But I do acknowledge my mistake.

Anyway, the ticket says "Disregard Stop Sign". Not sure if that implies I sped through a Stop sign or it's treated as the same offense.

It's my FIRST ticket ever in 9 years of driving in NoVA so can you please let me know what I should do to avoid getting any points? I have an option to either pay the fine or go to the general district court in Fairfax.

Please advise.

Thanks,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
Since you have a good record, you have a good chance of getting your fine dropped if you attend traffic school. Attend court and speak with the prosecutor before your time slot and explain your situation. I believe FFX does accept online training too so take that into consideration. You watch a video online, then take a test at a local testing center (library) and then show the certificate to the court.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Since you have a good record, you have a good chance of getting your fine dropped if you attend traffic school. Attend court and speak with the prosecutor before your time slot and explain your situation. I believe FFX does accept online training too so take that into consideration. You watch a video online, then take a test at a local testing center (library) and then show the certificate to the court.
oneasterisk:

Thanks. Should I take the training and present the certificate in the court, or take the training only after the prosecutor/judge allows it?

Regards,
K

Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,283 times
As the mother of an often-cranky 2 year old, you totally have my sympathy.

I've gotten one of these violations before, but not in Virginia so I can't give you good advice. But my understanding is that from a legal standpoint, rolling through the stop sign is the same as blasting through it at 50mph. Either you stopped or you didn't, you know. But the folks at traffic court also understand that most "disregarding stop signs" they see will be people who are rolling, since they do this every day and that's what is most likely to happen.

Your good driving record will work in your favor, though. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:16 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
oneasterisk:

Thanks. Should I take the training and present the certificate in the court, or take the training only after the prosecutor/judge allows it?

Regards,
K
You could do either. Even if the judge doesn't allow it to drop the fine, the completion of the course will remove some or all of the points.

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
The cop was doing you a favor. The offense you were charged with has less of a fine associated with it.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The cop was doing you a favor. The offense you were charged with has less of a fine associated with it.
kevinm:

I'm not sure I understand you. How was the cop doing me a favor? I did not come to a COMPLETE stop at a Stop sign and the cop gave me a ticket for "Disregarding Stop Sign". What else could have happened?

-K

Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
Possibly Reckless Driving. Highly unlikely but failing to stop before entering a highway can come under reckless.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

The cop did not do me any favor. This was on a 25mph tertiary road. There was no other car at the intersection nor was there any human, so my rolling stop was nothing more than "disregarding a stop sign". Thankfully, the cop was sensible enough to ticket me for my exact fault...nothing more, nothing less.

Can we please stop this speculating? I am admitting my mistake, so please post replies only if you have anything to add to my original post.

Thanks,
K

Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,250,535 times
You may be admitting the mistake but you're also trivializing it. I've been t-boned by someone rolling thru a stop sign. Did over $2000.00 damage to my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia