Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 63,010 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if clear license plate covers (the ones you can find in Advanced Auto or Autozone) are legal in VA?

And if so, could I get a ticket if I were in DC or MD with clear plate covers on VA tags?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,345 times
I don't know, but why not ask DMV? I would guress if the numbers/letters can be read, you're legal. I have seen tinted plate protectors that make it very difficult to read the plate. Those have to be illegal, I would think.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I don't know, but why not ask DMV?
Perhaps because they like to yell at people?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
As long as it's clear you won't have any problems. The problems come with the tinted ones or the clear ones that get dirty and obstruct the tag. That's when you'll run into a ticket such as an Obstructed Tag.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM

48 posts, read 156,717 times
I run those clear/tinted covers on all my cars. Ive gotten a ticket for having a clear one on by some ffx county cop on 66, but ive never gotten a ticket for running the tinted one on my cars...go figure?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,967 times
You definitely don't have to worry about being pulled over in MD or DC. Even if it's against MD law, that law is for MD-licensed cars only. They won't pull you over any more than a VA cop will pull a NC or PA driver over for not having a front license plate.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 PM

47 posts, read 158,210 times
A friend of mine is a cop and he always said to avoid putting those license plate covers on. Especially when you're driving from state-to-state, it's hard to know what the different laws are.

Also, those things just shout out that "I'm trying to evade speed cameras" so if you are pulled over for something minor and they see the "speed evaders" on your plates, they're less likely to let you go w/ just a warning.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweet View Post
A friend of mine is a cop and he always said to avoid putting those license plate covers on. Especially when you're driving from state-to-state, it's hard to know what the different laws are.

Also, those things just shout out that "I'm trying to evade speed cameras" so if you are pulled over for something minor and they see the "speed evaders" on your plates, they're less likely to let you go w/ just a warning.
Definitely. And the reason is those speed cameras will often catch a glare off the plastic on the clear license plate covers, and therefore law enforcement does not like them. Most states have a law that prevents anything that 'obstructs' the plates, so just be careful.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 27,303 times
Here is the law if anyone is interested in somthing other than an opinion:

It is illegal to mount license plates frames, colored glass, plastic or any other type of covering on your license plates that alters or obscures the letters, numbers, decals or the state where the vehicle is registered, and when the registration expires.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:32 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,488,242 times
Why do they even sell these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: