Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:59 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Why do they even sell these things?

They do help keep plates cleaner but the problem is they can fade and people don't replace them when they yellow or get dirty. Hence the obstruction charge. The vast majority of police officers. Say 99.9 % have no issues with the clear covers as long as they stay clear. I never charged anyone in my career with having a dirty one but did pull them and told them to remove them. I'm sure some did and some didn't. The person who said they got a ticket (09 post) got one erroneously in my opinion but of course the so called clear cover was no longer clear. I never ever saw an officer write a ticket for one of these on one that was truly clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM

846 posts, read 2,833,902 times
They were originally intended just for vehicles on display in dealer showrooms - to somehow make the vehicle look more dignified or classy - but then vehicle owners started buying them too in auto-parts stores. For drivers really serious about evading traffic cameras, there is even a mail-ordered chemical you can spray or paint-on that makes your plates shine and hard for the cameras to read. On a few occasions I have acted as vigilante and broken off a few brittle yellow covers when I was positive the owners weren't around. However, nowadays most of them are made of hard durable unbreakable plastic.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:07 AM

494 posts, read 1,192,967 times
I look hispanic and I've been pulled over twice for having these. Once in Fairfax county and once in Arlington County. I've never gotten ticketed, but rather the cop told me that it's "illegal" to have them on.

Let me rephrase that, the second time, I was in a fairly new toyota highlander with my father driving. I was in the passenger seat. It could be a case of (dare i say it?) racial profiling or probable cause.

The first time it was in my Honda accord, which while not new, was certainly not a beater car. I took off the cover after I got the warning. My dad did the same.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,778 times
I've had a clear one on my car for eight years, and never once have I run into an issue with it.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
They were originally intended just for vehicles on display in dealer showrooms - to somehow make the vehicle look more dignified or classy - but then vehicle owners started buying them too in auto-parts stores. For drivers really serious about evading traffic cameras, there is even a mail-ordered chemical you can spray or paint-on that makes your plates shine and hard for the cameras to read. On a few occasions I have acted as vigilante and broken off a few brittle yellow covers when I was positive the owners weren't around. However, nowadays most of them are made of hard durable unbreakable plastic.
Don't touch other peoples property, bottom line.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 30,088 times
So as long as it doesn't "alters or obscures the letters, numbers, decals" its okay then. Yeah!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM

9,438 posts, read 11,195,393 times
These are state laws. This is the best I could find:

http://driversdonttext.com/Plate_Cov...s.aspx :think:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: