Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,881 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First time poster here, so I hope I am posting in the proper place

I live near Winchester VA and am looking into a security system for my home, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me? I don't have to have monitored service but am leaning towards it because it seems less expensive short-term, and gives a bit more peace of mind. However I have heard good and bad things about the two we have been looking at, Brinks and ADT. Are there others that you would recommend? Or one of these you think is better?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
I think security systems are a complete rip-off. Some posters on here have had bad experiences with them. These companies get you into a contract for X years. Another thing is your insurance company will probably cover stolen items anyways. My $0.02

Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 AM

247 posts, read 687,984 times
We use Vector and have been pleased. If the alarm has ever gone off accidentally, they call us immediately to check in. Guess you have to decide for yourself if it's a ripoff. For us, it's the feeling of security that's important. If I'm out of town and my wife's home with the kids, she feels safer knowing she has the system.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,881 times
Thanks for the input.

Yes I know many people think it's a rip-ff but I am of the same mind as mpascal. When I am home alone or my teenagers are, I would feel better knowing that there is some sort of deterrent. I am not so concerned with my belongings as they can be replaced but am more concerned about the safety of my family if someone were to break in while we are home. I'm sure most often they would not do it with someone home but one never knows.

I have seen some homes in my new neighborhood that have Vector, I will definitely check into them. Thanks so much for the input

Old 04-17-2009, 07:33 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,824 times
When we bought our house, the previous owners used ADT security. They had a Honeywell system installed that had the sensors on it, so when a door/window is opened it beeps and says "Front door open" or whatever. We didn't want to pay for the service, but wanted to have the system set up internally so we could set it so the alarm would go off but not go to the monitoring service - more as a deterrent/piece of mind thing. The previous owner didn't leave the code, or had tried to reset it, or something. We had to call ADT to get the code so we could set it internally instead of running through their service - they were EXTREMELY unwilling to assist. They promised to have a manager call us back - did not happen. They asked that we fax over proof that we had bought the home (so they knew we were just some strangers asking for the code), and then they would reset it for us - did not happen. It was a pain in the azz. They were terrible to deal with. After a couple of weeks of not returning our calls, my husband found a website where you could pay $5 or something ridiculous and get the master programming information so we could re-route it to work internally ourselves.

I realize that ADT were only trying to get us to keep the service, and were making it difficult for us in hopes that we would just renew. But I HATE that kind of crap. Very used car salesmen-ish. I would never use ADT if I were paying for a service.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
After a couple of weeks of not returning our calls, my husband found a website where you could pay $5 or something ridiculous and get the master programming information so we could re-route it to work internally ourselves.
Haha your husband is slick!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
I've used Brinks for 9 years with no complaint what so ever. A few years ago our door was not closed all the way and the wind blew it opened while we were away, setting off the alarm. The police were called and we were contacted by Brinks.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Haha your husband is slick!
He had to be! It was so ridiculous - we had this security system installed, and all we wanted was to have an alarm that could go off to alert us (and probably our neighbors ) internally if need be, and ADT refused to give us the code unless we paid for the service. Sheesh. The system didn't belong to them - if it did, I would have told them to come and get it and we'd put in our own. I just couldn't believe how difficult they were being.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
He had to be! It was so ridiculous - we had this security system installed, and all we wanted was to have an alarm that could go off to alert us (and probably our neighbors ) internally if need be, and ADT refused to give us the code unless we paid for the service. Sheesh. The system didn't belong to them - if it did, I would have told them to come and get it and we'd put in our own. I just couldn't believe how difficult they were being.

So you're using the same ADT system now? You just are not subscribed to the service? Or did you change out the hardware and use your own?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
So you're using the same ADT system now? You just are not subscribed to the service? Or did you change out the hardware and use your own?
Yep, we're using the same system but are not subscribed.

Hey, if it has the option to have the alarm go off internally, I see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to use it without subscribing to the service. The previous owner cancelled it anyway, so we would have been stuck with a system that was just sitting there, not doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia