Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 65,069 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good place for an 18 year old to take ballroom dance lessons. Looked at a variety of places on the web - Elan DanceSport, Dance with Me, Dance Factory, Alliance Dance, Lioudmila, etc. Can anybody make any recommendations, or have any opinions on these places or others? Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:13 PM

515 posts, read 1,695,838 times
OMG is Dance Factory still around? I can't believe it! I used to dance there before everyone was born. The owner was a very nice guy named Dennis. It was generally a fun place and I think it had a lot of satisfied customers.

People who became really serious about their dancing, however, often moved on. At the time Dance Factory was primarily a disco and American style ballroom place. American style is the dumbed down version for people who want to learn how to dance at their wedding. Really serious folks go on to what is called International Style. The place for that at the time was Danceland II on Wisconsin Avenue. I think that might be what is now called the Dance Sports Center or something like that. Some of the biggest names taught there.

There was also a place called the Virginia Ballroom where the serious dancers hung out on the weekend. I think they gave lessons too.

Of course this was all a very very long time ago.

If the issue is private lessons, personal chemistry with the teacher is likely to be a big factor. So trial and error may be the only way to find the best longterm fit. If OTOH this is just a short-term pursuit to pick up a few skills, I suspect any place in the area will be fine.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 18,862 times
I take classes with Latin Dancer in Tyson's. It is reasonably priced. The instructor teaches both private and group lessons and you get the opportunity to learn salsa, tango, merengue, bachata, milonga, rumba, etc. The atmosphere is fun and friendly. The studio is operated from her home so there is a certain comfort to it as well. It is a good place to learn the basics. Instructor is Susana Lizzaraga - (703) 734-0004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia