Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM

257 posts, read 566,132 times

Advertisements

I rent near the Reston Town Center and work near Dulles. I really like this area, TBH. Although there is no rail out here yet, there is good bus service from the Reston Town Center to the WFC Metro. The bus is almost an express bus -- runs from RTC to the Park & Ride at Wiehle Ave and then to WFC. One of the upsides to the bus is that it uses the Dulles Access Road between Reston and WFC so you don't get stuck in traffic as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 4,133 times
Hi, my wife and I are moving to DC area in 3 weeks, I took a new job in Reston. We are looking at living in either NW DC , near National Cathedral, we love that area, or in Arlington. All depends on the horror stories of reverse commuting. Please share thoughts, and would like to hear back also from SC_ALUM on what happened, and lessons learned/advice, etc. Thanks! The soon to be new kids on the block.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryBuffs_DC View Post
Hi, my wife and I are moving to DC area in 3 weeks, I took a new job in Reston. We are looking at living in either NW DC , near National Cathedral, we love that area, or in Arlington. All depends on the horror stories of reverse commuting. Please share thoughts, and would like to hear back also from SC_ALUM on what happened, and lessons learned/advice, etc. Thanks! The soon to be new kids on the block.
North Arlington would be an easier commute to Reston. Commuting from DC would be tough.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:40 AM

518 posts, read 1,451,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryBuffs_DC View Post
Possible commute from DC neighborhoods:
You could commute from the Palisades, AU Park, Wesley Heights, Spring Valley areas of DC via Chain bridge to 123, then to the Dulles Toll Rd.

Others might be able to comment on traffic on 123.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,925,976 times
It's great to live in northwest DC if you are working in DC, or perhaps in Arlington.
It's not going to be so great to drive to Reston every day. Yes, it's technically a reverse commute, but just getting out of your neighborhood will put you on the road with folks traveling to various DC workplaces. Then you have to get across one of the bridges and contend with the traffic heading to the CIA (Chain Bridge) or the Tyson's area (American Legion Bridge), and then out to Reston. The return trip won't be any easier, as there always seems to be traffic headed into the city in the evenings.

Only you can decide whether living in DC is worth the commuting hassles. Because you are coming in just three weeks, consider a short-term lease or corporate housing in the DC neighborhood, and try out the commute for a month or so before making a longer-term commitment.
I think that Arlington might be a much saner choice.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:37 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,908 times
How much of a tolerance do you have for commuting? I agree that Arlington would be a much saner choice...it's congested enough trying to get out of Arlington and past the Tysons area outbound in the morning. Living in NW DC will only further add to that. Then there are the evenings which are even worse. I work many different clients out in the Dulles Corridor and traffic is very bad during the PM commute heading off the Dulles Toll Road onto 66 into Arlington. From my experience it has been rare to make it from Reston to Arlington in under 45 minutes during the evening commute (leaving at 530 or 545)...DC would be at least 15-30 more.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,133 times
Default thanks everyone for the great info

Well,
we got a place in NW DC, so let the commuting madness begin

I'll get back with an update after Oct 12, when I begin my new job. I'll be avoiding major freeways if possible, so I'll take the scenic route

Wish me luck, and we're moving to DC for DC not for the job, take care... and have a great week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia