Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times

Advertisements

My car is in the shop and I've been taking the bus until things improve. I really miss having a car. Personally where I live in Falls Church almost Annandale, it's not impossible to get by without a car but very inconvenient.

Also just walking ten minutes to Harris Teeter was a journey of peril since there are no sidewalks. I hate to walk in people's yards but I don't want to get hit either.

What was a 15-20 minute drive like going to the museums in DC is now an hour and a half pilgrimage. Tomorrow my 15 minute commute will triple.

At the same time it's better than nothing. In Georgia it's much worse and much less frequent or reliable. And I have been able to go the places I wanted and needed to so far. And between texting my friends back home and reading it hasn't been too bad. Also was able to go out last night and not have to worry about having to drive home. So drank as much as I wanted. So this isn't the best situation but at least I have a way to work without having to call an expensive cab.

My parents gave me the car and I definitely appreciate it now that I"m without it. Anyone else find themselves suddenly carless in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM

595 posts, read 2,307,734 times
You should enter your address in Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address to see how they rate the walkability on a scale from zero to 100. I'm trying to buy a place right now, with a score of 74. There is a grocery store across the Street, and about a dozen restaurants within a half mile.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,063 times
We pay 4 bucks a year extra on the insurance for each car to be covered for car rental at times like these.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:42 PM

84 posts, read 485,796 times
With as cold and rainy as it is out here there's no way in heck I'd be without a car.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 AM

282 posts, read 873,149 times
I was carless a while back for about a week. My commute went from about 40 minutes to 1 hr 20 min (like every day was an ice storm). And it cost close to $8 each way. One of the bigger hassles was not being able run errands along the way (or during lunch).

Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,470 times
Maybe in downtown DC could it be possible. But in suburban Nova trying to get into DC, not near a metro stop, good luck, and expect to lose a significant amount of time in the process.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
We pay 4 bucks a year extra on the insurance for each car to be covered for car rental at times like these.
We have rental car coverage also, I may be wrong (I was once before - but I think that is only coverage for damages from an accident, not if it's mechanical, etc.

I do the bus/Metro thing also though when possible - much easier than driving in the traffic, paying for parking, etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Yeah I didnt' have an accident so don't think I'd get a rental car. It might cost over $2K to fix a $4K car and I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. Actually thinking of selling it as is using the money for a deposit on an apartment in the city then wouldn't need a car. But my short commute wouldn't be so short anymore. Takes 15 minutes by car to get job even on the bus 30 minutes. But metro from say U street is almost an hour. Don't NEED a car per say since there is the bus and I get rides from a coworker. The walk to Harris Teeter is treacherous but not impossible. But it still sucks to live in VA with no car especially on the weekends when bus service is limited. So maybe I'll save up and just get it fixed.

Oh the walkability thing is neat. The score at my house is 46.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Just think of how fit and trim you'll get

Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Took over two hours to leave DC with a slight hangover this morning. One of the advantages of not having a car is that I can go out and drink as much as I want. The disadvantage is definitely the long commute home when you don't feel good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia