Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 23,194 times

Advertisements

Good day,

I am a recent college graduate (2006) and have my bachelor's degree from an accredited University here in North Carolina.

I am considering relocating to NOVA quite soon and wanted to reach out to see if y'all (yes it's a southern thing ) knew of any places currently hiring at the entry level.

I do have two years of professional experience but it has mainly pertained to real estate and the mortgage industry.

I am looking for a place to make a strong solid career and not just jump from company to company.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:57 PM

84 posts, read 486,105 times
What is your degree in? Are you looking for something with the Federal govt. or something in the private sector?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 23,194 times
Hey Darksword,

I guess I should have mentioned my degree. I have a BSBA in Management and Marketing. I would very much like to work with the Federal Govt or a Govt Contractor but haven't received much feedback from that industry thus far.

I am honestly open to any industry and I have a strong suit in sales but honestly want to have a career where I am less dependent on commission and more dependent on a guaranteed salary.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 PM

44 posts, read 126,806 times
Hi there,

I just got a job with the Fed. Government. Look into Federal Career Intern program and apply as soon as possible. Let me know if you need more info regarding the program.

Good luck

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM

76 posts, read 188,772 times
Any other ideas for breaking into the Defense Industry as a civilian with no clearance but a clear background?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:31 PM

286 posts, read 1,232,573 times
Unfortunately, many contracting firms won't look at you if you don't live in the area. They don't want to deal with relo, etc. If you have enough $, and are willing to make the jump, I would come to DC, rent a small basement apt., throw out tons of resumes and temp while you wait. There are lots of great temp agencies that place folks into contracting firms, and if they like you, they'll most likely hire you. In many places, temping is frowned on, but in DC it can lead to some great jobs. It can be frustrating, b/c you may not get hired at the first place you go, but once you're in the city, you can network, and that is what drives jobs in DC, who you know. Best of luck!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,508,435 times
I think NOVA is a great area for jobs - and really good for a young person to get a foothold before they move on.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
Any other ideas for breaking into the Defense Industry as a civilian with no clearance but a clear background?

Thanks!
You can try finding someone at WHS (Washington Headquarter Services) to talk to, they handle a lot of the HR and recruiting work for the DoD. When I was trying to get into defense contracting they're the ones I dealt with, and later when I got an internship with DoD I worked with them again in the hiring/clearance process. My contact there still sends out advice and announcements regularly.

The website's not so hot (a lot is under construction), but just try and contact/bug people until you get some sort of response.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:20 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokahi View Post
In many places, temping is frowned on, but in DC it can lead to some great jobs.
That is absolutely true. There's so many good jobs here, let your resume and the seekers do the work for you.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:21 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think NOVA is a great area for jobs - and really good for a young person to get a foothold before they move on.
It's a double edge sword. Get pimped and, and be pimped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia