Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 96,450 times

Advertisements

Just before leaving Detroit - a very car-centric area, obvs - I started getting more into cars. By that I mean doing some of my own work: oil changes, tune-ups, very light work. I could do this as I had friends who either still lived at home or my parents who also own their home. Pull into their garage or driveway and get to work.

Now that I've moved down here to NOVA, I have no friends or contacts that live in a home. I've also been told by a few different people that working on cars in apartment parking lots is illegal. While I can't imagine it's not more than a misdemeanor and a couple bucks, I'd rather not go through that bother.

So, am I pretty much SOL for doing minor tinkering or is there some sort of "self repair garage" business that allows you to work on your own car in their bay/ports? I know I can't be the only person who's run in into this situation around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,397,296 times
It's not illegal to work on cars in a parking lot, but it may be against the apartment's policies.

All the complexes I've lived in have had that rule, but there may be some that don't.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 AM

349 posts, read 1,433,265 times
If you know anybody that can get you on a military base, they have auto hobby shops that charge $5-$6/hr for a lift. I've used both Ft Myers and Bolling AFB and both have pretty good facilities.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,208,251 times
LOL, the people here don't even wash their own cars, never mind repair them themselves! But, it's Northern Virginia and most of it I really like.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 AM

960 posts, read 2,030,337 times
I can't help you with the apartment thing, as I don't know. Depending upon what type of car you have, you may be able to find a local car club for your make or model. I belong to a few of them, and many have "shop nights" were they all meet up at a dealership or garage and get to use the lifts and such for free to do their own work on the cars.

And yes I, and many of my friends work on our own cars.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,872,340 times
I've never had a problem with doing my own brakes and oil changes etc in apartment complexes in NoVA, but almost every one of them has a rule against it. But hey, they have a rule against having a flat tire too. lol

I think with anything that doesn't take very long, you're good to go. They just don't want to see disabled cars up on jackstands/blocks for days.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,368,515 times
It all depends on your relationship with the apartment mgr. I did a complete head job and other things to my car and didn't get bothered. I made sure NO OIL SPILLS occurred.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 17,937 times
I have a fully furnished (Meaning almost any tool you could want) garage that I'd let you use for a small rental price. I live in Ashburn, Va for another 2 months. My new place should also be around Ashburn and should have a garage.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 12,096 times
I live in Ashburn and am always forced to work in my townhome parking spaces. Would you email me @ [email]gaborn73@gmail.com[/email]?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 AM

13 posts, read 96,450 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah, I only know one guy in the military but he's down in NC. As far as car clubs go, that's a good idea, I never thought about it. I'll have to check with the rest of the Altimas around here and see if they run anything like that.

Mr. Cat, yeah, my oil changes never go that smoothly, there's always a few drips or spills so I'd rather not do it on the top of the parking deck they have attached to the apartment.

caper, I'll have to get back at you in regards to the offer. Other than an oil change in 2,000 miles, my next upcoming project is going to be replacing the exhaust from headers on back - something I have no experience with.

bangorme, funny you should mention washing your car. I had to scour the internet just to find a do-it-yourself wash and vacuum bay. Back home in SE Michigan, you couldn't drive five miles without seeing one. Places want to charge me $10 for a cheap wash? Forget that, I got the time, I'll do it myself dammit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia