Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 24,950 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a job here in the Northern VA area and am concerned if this will be an area I'll enjoy living.
I have been living off Van Dorn in Alexandria and it seems really ghetto. I went to the health food grocery store thinking there would be the laid back people I'm used to from Trader Joe's (in SoCAL) and it was close but not quite what I was hoping for.
I did like Old Town vibe from what I saw. The people seemed somewhat refreshing compared to a lot of other areas around here.
Could someone suggest some local areas for 30 something singles? Fun things to do, living areas, people, shops, etc.
I'm concerned about quality of living and hope I'm not making the wrong decision about moving here and end up miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 06:58 PM

446 posts, read 1,650,329 times
Hello there.

Moving to a new area can always be a little bit unnerving and confusing. Where you are fortunately is not representative of most areas here and I think you'll be able to find something you like and near your job. Here are some of my favorite places around:

INSIDE BELTWAY:
-Old Town Alex
-Del Ray (area of Alex northwest of Old Town and due south of Crystal City)
-Pentagon City
-Ballston - Rosslyn corridor on Metro's Orange Line
-North Arlington (Lee Hwy and Wash Blvd corridors)
-Falls Church City

OUTSIDE BELTWAY:
-Tysons Corner
-Fair Oaks Mall
-Fairfax Corner
-Kingstowne (just south of where you are now)

I have missed many areas for sure and this is just VA. Trader Joe's has locations in Old Town Alex, Baileys Crossroads, Tysons Pimmit, Reston and Fairfax.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 24,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
Hello there.

Moving to a new area can always be a little bit unnerving and confusing. Where you are fortunately is not representative of most areas here and I think you'll be able to find something you like and near your job. Here are some of my favorite places around:

INSIDE BELTWAY:
-Old Town Alex
-Del Ray (area of Alex northwest of Old Town and due south of Crystal City)
-Pentagon City
-Ballston - Rosslyn corridor on Metro's Orange Line
-North Arlington (Lee Hwy and Wash Blvd corridors)
-Falls Church City

OUTSIDE BELTWAY:
-Tysons Corner
-Fair Oaks Mall
-Fairfax Corner
-Kingstowne (just south of where you are now)

I have missed many areas for sure and this is just VA. Trader Joe's has locations in Old Town Alex, Baileys Crossroads, Tysons Pimmit, Reston and Fairfax.
This is great! Thank you!

Could you please name some specific places where I could go around this area?

I'm used to the beach cities in Southern CA like Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Seal Beach. I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,202,563 times
CaseyMac made some good suggestions of neighborhoods and retail areas where you may find people and activities most likely to interest you. I'd definitely co-sign on Old Town and Del Ray in Alexandria along with the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in Arlington.

Northern Virginia is not Southern California; the stereotypical resident can be particularly career-focused and "uptight" and not nearly as laid-back as the ideal West Coaster. If you choose to drive, the traffic situation should be familiar or maybe slightly lighter than what you are accustomed to. Fortunately, there's a fair chance that the Metrorail could alleviate some of the pressure of commuting.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
CaseyMac made some good suggestions of neighborhoods and retail areas where you may find people and activities most likely to interest you. I'd definitely co-sign on Old Town and Del Ray in Alexandria along with the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in Arlington.

Northern Virginia is not Southern California; the stereotypical resident can be particularly career-focused and "uptight" and not nearly as laid-back as the ideal West Coaster. If you choose to drive, the traffic situation should be familiar or maybe slightly lighter than what you are accustomed to. Fortunately, there's a fair chance that the Metrorail could alleviate some of the pressure of commuting.
SoCal is not exactly 'laid back' anymore: I lived there from 1980-89 then left for Arizona----------and, I am a Wash DC native (born/raised).

Old 08-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
SoCal is not exactly 'laid back' anymore: I lived there from 1980-89 then left for Arizona----------and, I am a Wash DC native (born/raised).
I admit my own view of Southern California is anecdotal since I've never lived there myself... so I certainly respect the view of someone who has spent a lot of years there.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM

29 posts, read 66,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCworkFL View Post
This is great! Thank you!

Could you please name some specific places where I could go around this area?

I'm used to the beach cities in Southern CA like Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Seal Beach. I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks again for your time and help!
I too am from SoCal and have lived in Southern Va and visit my husbands family often who are from the DC and MD area. We will eventually be moving to NOVA
i guess, still trying to figure out where that exactly is but I know from experience you will not get CA in VA. Totally different, my husband is out there now trying to find a place where the kids and I will acclimate best and the only thing he can come up with is around Georgetown. Unfortunately thats too far from his job. So we will get along just being able to visit those places.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitbetta View Post
I too am from SoCal and have lived in Southern Va and visit my husbands family often who are from the DC and MD area. We will eventually be moving to NOVA
i guess, still trying to figure out where that exactly is but I know from experience you will not get CA in VA. Totally different, my husband is out there now trying to find a place where the kids and I will acclimate best and the only thing he can come up with is around Georgetown. Unfortunately thats too far from his job. So we will get along just being able to visit those places.
If you liked - and could theoretically afford - Georgetown in DC, then you may want to look into Old Town Alexandria. Like Georgetown, it has an upscale feel to it albeit without as many upscale chains. Where will your husband be working?

Old 04-09-2009, 02:34 PM

269 posts, read 1,003,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCworkFL View Post
I have been living off Van Dorn in Alexandria and it seems really ghetto. I went to the health food grocery store thinking there would be the laid back people I'm used to from Trader Joe's (in SoCAL) and it was close but not quite what I was hoping for.
Hello There!

Could you please expand upon exactly HOW/WHAT/WHO/WHEN Alexandria was so-called "ghetto"? A great portion of Fairfax County's 10% African-American populace call Alexandria home, and so I hope you are not misaliging your opinions solely because there are Black People living in Alexandria! Now if you are meaning "ghetto" in that the buildings look older, well you see Alexandria is a historic place with many old homes, but nobody ever calls Old Towne "ghetto" and so I infer that you aren't using "seems really ghetto" in response to the buildings, but rather the PEOPLE since you go on to talk about the people you saw at the health food store!! What is so "ghetto" about Alexandria residents??

Old 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,691,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
Hello There!

Could you please expand upon exactly HOW/WHAT/WHO/WHEN Alexandria was so-called "ghetto"? A great portion of Fairfax County's 10% African-American populace call Alexandria home, and so I hope you are not misaliging your opinions solely because there are Black People living in Alexandria! Now if you are meaning "ghetto" in that the buildings look older, well you see Alexandria is a historic place with many old homes, but nobody ever calls Old Towne "ghetto" and so I infer that you aren't using "seems really ghetto" in response to the buildings, but rather the PEOPLE since you go on to talk about the people you saw at the health food store!! What is so "ghetto" about Alexandria residents??
He's talking about the Van Dorn area of Alexandria--not the nice parts of Alexandria. I would agree that it is very run down and "ghetto" and I don't mean that in the African American sense and I doubt he did either. I was in the Van Dorn area of Alexandria two weeks ago and I don't think I even noticed an African American person. It just looks bad there and always has. Run down--like the Rt. 1 corridor in Virginia mainly is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia