Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 17,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan View Post
We, a couple in the late thirties with a daughter of 8, are considering a relocation from Europe to Northeren Virginia. We have been looking at Great Falls, Vienna, Herdnon etc, but not been able to decide what would suit us best. We have our own business and proximity to an national/international airport is more important than commuting time to DC. The most important is to find a safe family oriented area with good schools. In addition to finding out where to live, we are interested to know a little bit more about the tax systems (property tax etc), school systems and quality and activities in the near area.

Any input is much appreciated
Many areas have (HOA) Home owners associations so you may want to check that out when you decide on an area. Our HOA does not allow home businesses out of the home where we live but our HOA is very relaxed in the rules. All three of my neighbors have home businesses as long as they don't infringe upon the peace of the neighborhood I don't mind at all but some HOA can really be super pains and will not look the other way. They can have very high fees if there is a neighbor hood facility such as pool clubhouse and tennis courts just something to consider when looking. We live in the Oak Hill area of northern Va it is the 20171 zipcode it is about 15 minutes from Dulles international airport it is a wonderful area you might want to check it out too. The best thing would be to find the areas you are interested in and then come out here and check them out. I moved here from California and some of the nicest areas have flight paths and were quite noisy they were emediately off our lists of homes to look at it is better to do a home search in person if you can. Fairfax county schools are some of the best in the country. Good luck on your search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 PM

22 posts, read 85,246 times
Quote:
We, a couple in the late thirties with a daughter of 8, are considering a relocation from Europe to Northeren Virginia. We have been looking at Great Falls, Vienna, Herdnon etc, but not been able to decide what would suit us best. We have our own business and proximity to an national/international airport is more important than commuting time to DC. The most important is to find a safe family oriented area with good schools. In addition to finding out where to live, we are interested to know a little bit more about the tax systems (property tax etc), school systems and quality and activities in the near area.
If proximity to the airport is of overriding importance to you, I would certainly recommend Reston or the 20171 area code of Herndon. Are you thinking of a condo, townhouse or detached home? The Reston Town Center has a mix of all three within walking distance, plus restaurants, shopping and a cinema. Other parts of reston, especially in the 20194 zip code, have very attractive townhouses or detached homes, and there's ample activities for a children (including numerous pools (http://www.reston.org/parks_rec/p_pools.html#pooldescriptionslocations - broken link), several lakes (including Lake Anne with boat rental (http://www.lakeanneplaza.com/lap_site_/lap_idx.htm - broken link)), countless tennis courts and miles of wooded walking and biking trails.

And I know you mentioned commuting time to DC is not a high priority, but among all the major highways of the DC area, the Dulles Toll Road is the least congested and offers the quickest route to Washington, D.C.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to email me if you have further questions.

Best wishes,

Chuck Miro

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-14-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Real Estate Advertising

Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 PM

264 posts, read 857,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liseA View Post
Many areas have (HOA) Home owners associations so you may want to check that out when you decide on an area. Our HOA does not allow home businesses out of the home where we live but our HOA is very relaxed in the rules. All three of my neighbors have home businesses as long as they don't infringe upon the peace of the neighborhood I don't mind at all but some HOA can really be super pains and will not look the other way. They can have very high fees if there is a neighbor hood facility such as pool clubhouse and tennis courts just something to consider when looking. We live in the Oak Hill area of northern Va it is the 20171 zipcode it is about 15 minutes from Dulles international airport it is a wonderful area you might want to check it out too. The best thing would be to find the areas you are interested in and then come out here and check them out. I moved here from California and some of the nicest areas have flight paths and were quite noisy they were emediately off our lists of homes to look at it is better to do a home search in person if you can. Fairfax county schools are some of the best in the country. Good luck on your search
I agree that the Oak Hill area is nice- have good friends that live there.. the only consideration is that it is one of the areas that was redistricted so depending on where in Oak Hill you live, you may go to South lakes HS (which is not as highly rated as other HS in the area)- granted that is WAY down the road so if you don't think you'll be here that long or SLHS with the IB program is not a negative- there are some great deals in Oak Hill. The houses are so nice and the neighbors are nice/safe place. ES and MS are very good.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 AM

42 posts, read 125,806 times
Default Bank Owned

Hey there,
The reason there are more bank owned in Loudoun is due to the construction boom in 2005 out there. Many new homes were built at the top of the market and people bought with ARM loans. Then the market fell and people couldn't afford their homes.

There were far fewer purchases in Great Falls. Also in Great Falls the average income per family is probably 50% to 100% higher then Loudoun.

It is not much more difficult to buy a bank owned property. Your Realtor can help you with those. Bank properties are listed on the same MLS home search that you might be using now.

As for risks involved in the marketplace with so many bank owned... yes there are risks that you get a "deal" and then your neighbor forecloses and that house sells for $20k less. Email me directly if you want me to sign you up for alerts for bank properties or to talk about how to decide.

Frank

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-14-2008 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising

Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Question Hi there

I am in a big need of change, I have 2 boys, I read this thread and got lots of answers, thanks to all. My question is:
I am a hair stylist, I have a great clientele here in Seattle WA, but I also want to go to Virginia. Is it easy to find a job in the beauty industrie. What is the average rent for a 2bd 2bth app??
Thanks guys?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 23,025 times
How would I find out if there is a HOA in the area I am looking and which rules they have? Any register for such?

Very interesting information about the flight paths. I was wondering about that. I can imagine that living under a flight path could be pretty frustrating - and would certainly try to avoid that.Would it be possible to see these on any kind of maps?

We are of course coming out to see, before buying something. Probably several times. But we do feel more prepared and have been able to narrow down our search a bit, based on all the information you have all provided:-)

Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 PM

46 posts, read 155,929 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. All valuable information in our search for the perfect place to live:-)
Where are you moving from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia