Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:05 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,252,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug20000 View Post
I'll just say what realtors always do, make sure to look around Reston/Herndon on the weekends and in the evenings when the residents are out so that you will be living in neighborhoods with neighors you will "enjoy." Some areas were not what I was looking for.
Great advice!

I live in a nice area of South Reston and there is a rental house on my street that I think rents for about $2500. The houses are almost 30 years old and the first set of owners have been selling recently to familes with young children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM

17 posts, read 86,703 times
I would consider Chantilly as well.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,764 times
I've just been looking at Chantilly and South Riding on the map, and I was wondering what the air traffic noise is like as they both seem very close to Dulles airport. We currently live about 20 miles from London Heathrow airport and some mornings the planes can be quite noisy!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 91,557 times
I would second the other opinions on here that you should rent first to get a feel for the community.

I live in the Dulles Station Development in Herndon, and at least the part of Herndon south of the Toll Road is very nice. I know there are several very nice housing developments off of Centreville Road and Fox Mill Roads, which are on the south side of town.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM

21 posts, read 74,484 times
Default Herndon/Reston

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcclure View Post
Thank you for all your advice. It is great to get some idea of what the areas are like and how much it's going to cost. Hopefully we'll be able to go over and have a look around before we actually move!

My husbands company is based in McClean at the moment but they are planning on moving to Herndon or Reston. We want to keep commuting down to a mimimum hence why looking in these areas.

Thank you again.
I suggest living in McClean then...the schools are better there anyways.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,847 times
i don't know if anyone here has answered the question but to give you a price range: renting a:
townhouse in Herndon is $1300-1800 (add maybe if you pay for gas/power/water: ~100/mo for power, ~50/3mo for water, and ~50 for gas ?!? i own TH in Burke and I don't have gas)

single family house in Herndon for rent range @ 2200-2800 /mo, and the extras above, maybe a few $ more.

Personally, I am not fond of Herndon/Reston/Centreville area, there are many who would disagree with me and many who would agree. But I will say that there is a reason that a lot of neighborhoods in Herndon/Reston/Centreville are cheaper than the sorrounding towns/cities, and it does not take a genious to know why.
If you only want to rent and bent on Herndon, maybe you should look at some condo's @ Monroe St. (am i spelling this right?, nevertheless, it is a close-knit community) or maybe the SFHs off Herndon Pkwy.

If you do get a chance to look around, I can suggest a few places close to Herndon that would be more attractive maybe for a young family, West Springfield, Burke, Fair Oaks, and Cliffton, and maybe even Ashburn, they are more expensive (you'll be fine if you're renting, since it's not long term, and the poss. for you to move somewhere nicer/better/cheaper are better than you buying right off hand)

hope that helps, any other quetions, comments, etc, people will help you out on this forum, so just shoot them out :-)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM

6 posts, read 37,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti83 View Post
i don't know if anyone here has answered the question but to give you a price range: renting a:
townhouse in Herndon is $1300-1800 (add maybe if you pay for gas/power/water: ~100/mo for power, ~50/3mo for water, and ~50 for gas ?!? i own TH in Burke and I don't have gas)

single family house in Herndon for rent range @ 2200-2800 /mo, and the extras above, maybe a few $ more.

Personally, I am not fond of Herndon/Reston/Centreville area, there are many who would disagree with me and many who would agree. But I will say that there is a reason that a lot of neighborhoods in Herndon/Reston/Centreville are cheaper than the sorrounding towns/cities, and it does not take a genious to know why.
If you only want to rent and bent on Herndon, maybe you should look at some condo's @ Monroe St. (am i spelling this right?, nevertheless, it is a close-knit community) or maybe the SFHs off Herndon Pkwy.

If you do get a chance to look around, I can suggest a few places close to Herndon that would be more attractive maybe for a young family, West Springfield, Burke, Fair Oaks, and Cliffton, and maybe even Ashburn, they are more expensive (you'll be fine if you're renting, since it's not long term, and the poss. for you to move somewhere nicer/better/cheaper are better than you buying right off hand)

hope that helps, any other quetions, comments, etc, people will help you out on this forum, so just shoot them out :-)

My husband is from this area and I lived there for about four years. I would suggest checking out Sterling, Sterling Park, places like that if you really want a trail/error time while renting. Check out some of the developments close to Dulles Towne Center. There are many many places and developements/apartments/condo's/and SFH's to check out. You really have to kinda expierence the area first, then decided to purchase where you finally find your nitch. My ultimate suggestion would be to rent an apartment/townhome for about six months/twelve months, all the while paying close attention to the places and areas you tend to dwell and go from there. Needless to say, I like the area but I love DC and so although I would have to work like a dog to live there again, it worked for me while I was there. Good Luck!!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 AM

148 posts, read 630,144 times
Consider McLean/Great Falls. Closer to Reston, both airports, DC, good public and private schools and a strong pound should make it affordable to live there!
The airport noise in South Riding/Chantilly is nowhere near what LHR has. LHR has large planes to/from North America, Africa, Asia Australia, etc. IAD/DCA does not have that kind of traffic volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia