Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,120 times

Advertisements

There are so many false rumors about ethanol, it's hard to believe. I drive a flex fuel vehicle (FFV), and wish I could get the fuel where I live. (near Richmond, VA) The reason most cars (not FFV) get poorer mileage is because the timing is not set properly for ethanol, if you put E-85 in a gasoline car, the engine light would probably come on. The fuel would't hurt it, but you would have to have the light turned off. Ethanol is 105 octaine, thus the 10% increases the octaine in your gas. When you fill the car ethanol, it bubbles and expands, you should pump the last 2 gallons slowly to fill the tank. The mileage may not be as bad as you think, maybe your not getting the tank full. When my Ford Taurus has 66% ethanol. and 33% gasoline, I am getting 33 mpg on the highway. The car has more power, and burns clean. I do change the plentum gasket every year to assure the proper air/idle mix, and improve mileage, and that is a good idea with any car. This fuel is generally 60 cents less than gasoline, and have found it for more than $1.00 less. Once I leave Virginia, I can go any place on E-85, the other states do sell it. Virginia has it only for state owned vehicles, and wiil not open the pumps tp the public. This does not cause a food shortage, it can be made from anything that will furment. Corn is commonly used, but they only need the husk, it can be made from waste. Ethanol is also made from soy beans, sugar cane and even beets, and sometimes just restaurant waste. Ethanol is renewable, keeps our spending in the US, and allows us to make use of all these engines already on the road. Conversion kits are for sale to convert most cars, and make any car a flex fuel vehicle. Learn about the alternatives, the gas won't last forever. FordFFV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia