Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 39,331 times

Advertisements

We're going in 3 weeks to look for a house.

Are there any middle schools that are outstanding? Any we should avoid? How about elementary? Or, are they all pretty much the same and it really doesn't matter?

We were there a month ago and toured Belmont Ridge MS and Newton-Lee Elementary. We were impressed by both and were wondering how the other schools in the area compared.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,017 times
best MS in Leesburg is Smarts Mill. (IMO) The principal Mr Steuart is very "hands on" and VERY present in the school. knows just about every kid there by name etc...

I didn't care for Simpson MS. Heard good and bad about Harper Park MS, academics are good, problems with behavior etc...

Ashburn schools pretty much all seem very good. Belmont Ridge has a good rep. Farmwell Station MS has a very good rep and has won various awards etc...

for HS I prefer Loudoun County to Heritage in Leesburg (but county is crowded)

HS in Ashburn...They all seem pretty solid and I think I'd give the edge to Ashburn over Leesburg on the HS.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,318,516 times
We live in Ashburn, but our kids are toddlers so don't have first hand knowledge of the schools other than to say we have been told they all are great and once you live here I think you will see why...really not a bad part to Ashburn. Very nice, surburbia type of place. I love it here. I am in Ashburn Farm and love walking the trails with the kids.
Good luck with your move. If you want any advice on any homes, DM me and I can give you my opinion. (not an agent...just follow the market here in Ashburn pretty closely as a hobby so to speak)

Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 PM

14 posts, read 30,384 times
In general terms Loudoun County schools are very good. In my opinion because Loudoun is primarily a newer community than Fairfax County the school system has newer (better) technology available but the teachers don't have the credentials or reputation of Fairfax County. They still rank in the top tier of the USA from what I've heard.

As a new home buyer your housing choices will be fantastic in Loudoun County. Again, as a new community, new home builders are taking a beating as are sellers of resale homes. My recommendation would be to buy close to one of the Town Centers (Brambleton, Belmont Country Club, Broadlands, Landsdowne, Countryside, River Creek) which should increase the value of your house over time (3-5 years) as appreciation comes back to those areas.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 39,331 times
Thanks for the replies. We've narrowed down the areas we're going to look in by the middle school areas. We're looking in the areas that go to Belmont Ridge, Eagle Ridge and Farmwell Station. So, I guess that would pretty much be Broadlands, Ashburn (Ridges, Farm, Village...what's the difference?) and the Belmont and Lansdowne areas (though not as likely due to $$$).

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Those are all good MS. Seriously you will not have a problem with any of the schools in Ashburn.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 PM

488 posts, read 1,747,506 times
BTW, do they have school ratings for those areas online?

Or are they too young to have any rating at all....

Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Great schools gives Eagle ridge and Farmwell a rating of 8. very good for a middle school.
I believe Belmont is too new to be rated yet. maybe on the VA schools website.

I've had friends that have kids in Farmewell and I have never heard anything negative about it. I believe one of the Teachers there got VA teacher of the year.

Seriously Loudoun County schools are AWESOME, you will not be dissapointed. We just left the area and I miss the curriculum, all my kids are ahead in school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia