Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
What others have said may be true for the area south of that intersection. However, a mile north of there are some of the nicest neighborhoods in the area (in Arlington). But there are few townhomes in those neighborhoods, and SFHs are expensive there. There are many apartments but most of them are in high rises--with the upside being that you are very close to groceries, a major mall, and metro, as well as to DC and the Pentagon. Lots of young professionals live there, but so do some young families like yours. So it would depend on what you're seeking.

One of the things that is unusual about Arlington and Alexandria - to some extent - is that you can have very nice and very less-than-nice areas quite close to one another.
Actually it depends which Glebe he was talking about. I didn't even think about that for some reason. I was assuming she meant the corner of E Glebe and Mt. Vernon, which is definitely not a nice area.

If she's talking about the corner of S Glebe and Mt. Vernon, then I agree with the above. Pentagon City and Aurora Highlands are very nice and about a mile above that intersection.

Based on the other areas this person is looking for though, those areas are out of price range, and I would have to assume they were talking about a townhouse in, or very close to, Arlandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Good point, PCity, I was thinking about the northern of the two Glebes (even though it's called S Glebe) that intersect Mt. Vernon (i.e., the intersection where Alex. becomes Arl.). I forgot about E Glebe.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
1. Very safe area. Never heard ANY compliant about that area (noise possibly but very small chance of crime).
2. I live in the same area. It does have a very SLIGHTLY shady reputation as far as crime goes, the crimes are more stuff stolen out of cars and vandalism, also violent crime is VERY rare here. Most crime here (not that there is that much) can be avoided by common sense. Locking your doors, Not leaving anything valuable out in your cars, Not walking the streets at 1 in the morning. Yes, there is light crime here but i'd rather ride out the rest of my time in NoVA here than being in Bailey's Crossroads/Seven Corners, the Springfield Mall area, Rt. 1 area in the Fairfax Co. Alexandria, and Arlandria where more violent crimes happen more often.

All in all the two areas mentioned here are good places to look for housing.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Both areas have some petty crime, like car break-ins, but you will get that anywhere in the DC area. Both the Van Dorn Metro area and the Van Dorn/Edsall Road area are middle class areas where you are unlikely to be a victim of crime.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
Definitely go for the place at intersection of Van Dorn and Franconia Rds. I used to live in Wellington Commons townhouse development - really liked the neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 20,855 times
Thank you so much for all the help! I think we're leaning toward the area down near Van Dorn and Franconia Rds. We are currently looking at two townhouses- they are both about the same north/south, and about equal distances from Van Dorn, one to the west and one to the east. One is in the Kingstown subdivision, I believe. From what I'm gathering, both would be safe and family friendly. Let me know if I'm wrong!

Here's my question: Could my husband bike to the metro station from either of those locations? Are there bike paths, or would he be riding along Van Dorn? This question might be a bit too specific, but I thought it was worth asking. The people on this forum seem to have answers to whatever we need! Thank you! All this help is making me feel quite a bit better about this big, scary move!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 PM

Oh, and while I'm at it, can someone please give me an estimate of how long it would take my husband to get to the White House from Van Dorn/Franconia Rd. driving? How about riding the metro?

Thank you so much!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Just to give you more information, the one to the west of Van Dorn is zip code 22310 and to the east is 22315. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalr View Post
Thank you so much for all the help! I think we're leaning toward the area down near Van Dorn and Franconia Rds. We are currently looking at two townhouses- they are both about the same north/south, and about equal distances from Van Dorn, one to the west and one to the east. One is in the Kingstown subdivision, I believe. From what I'm gathering, both would be safe and family friendly. Let me know if I'm wrong!

Here's my question: Could my husband bike to the metro station from either of those locations? Are there bike paths, or would he be riding along Van Dorn? This question might be a bit too specific, but I thought it was worth asking. The people on this forum seem to have answers to whatever we need! Thank you! All this help is making me feel quite a bit better about this big, scary move!
I THINK (key word) that there is a bike path on the east side of Van Dorn St. going from Kingstowne to Van Dorn Metro. I know I've seen people riding on a path along Van Dorn, but I don't remember if it extends all the way down to Kingstowne or all the way up to Van Dorn Metro.

All of the neighborhoods around there have bus service as well, and it's a short ride to the Metro station, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get to work without a car.

Metroing from Van Dorn St. to the White House would be about a half hour plus whatever time it takes to get to the station and then to walk to the White House from the Metro. Driving there, in rush hour... ugh, I don't even want to think about how long that would take.

Metro has a trip calculator on their website where you can just plug in two addresses and it will tell you how long the trip is: Metro - Homepage

Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times
Default Arlandria vs Del Ray

In regards to the area near Mt Vernon Ave and Glebe Rd, - It depends on which Glebe Rd :-)
There is a South Glebe Rd, and also a W/E Glebe Rd that cuts through the area.
I do agree that the area north of both Glebe Rd. is nice, but very expensive! I think the area south of both Glebe Rds. is nice. It is the Del Ray neighborhood. To sum it up... you do not want to be in between the 2 Glebe Rds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: