Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,092 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family (me, wife, and newborn son) to Northern Virginia in mid-July. I will be working in Tysons's Corner, and we're looking to rent in Fairfax County (probably Herndon/Reston). We're already working with a realtor, so I'll skip the usual questions about price ranges and where to look. In fact, we already have some listings, but unfortunately, we won't be able to make a trip out to look at places. We're going to have to rely on my mother-in-law to do recon for us.

One of my wife's main concerns is living in a safe neighborhood, so that she can take the baby out for walks during the day (she's staying home while I get to slave away). I've read the other threads about how all of Fairfax County is relatively safe, but I've also tried to get an idea from the Fairfax County Police website and the Washington Post crime mapper widget. However, I'm not really sure that those things will give us a good idea.

One of the places that I'm most interested in is in the area bounded by Centreville, Coppermine, and Frying Pan roads. I think it's the McNair Farms subdivision, and it feeds into McNair-Carson-Westfield. How nice is this area? Is it safe?

Also, this area seems pretty close to Dulles. Is there a lot of noise from the airport?

Finally, where is the Seven Corners area and shopping center? From the police press releases, it seems like a lot of bad stuff happens in that area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I'm not sure if the area you described is McNair Farms, but whatever it is, it's a very nice and safe community. Walking outside during day or night shouldn't be a problem. I don't THINK that airport noise is that bad. I used to live in Herndon and I remember occasionally, especially during inclement weather, you'd hear a plane flying pretty low, but it wasn't an everyday normal sort of thing, definitely not the sort of thing where it's so loud that you can't hear conversations. I don't live there now though so maybe someone living there will say different though?

I have to say, I'm also surprised that area is zoned into McNair Elementary as opposed to Floris which is practically across the street. Then again, school boundaries in this area have never made much sense.

Seven Corners is 20 miles from Herndon, right on the border of Arlington and Fairfax County, just south of Falls Church. It's not a horrible area, just pretty gritty, and lots of petty crime.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Airport noise will not be a problem at Mcnair Farms. I used to own a townhouse there. Very nice community...and it has expanded greatly since I lived there a few years ago. It an excellent community to live and raise a family in. You have easy access to route 267, Reston, Centreville, Dulles/Sterling for dining, shopping, walking, entertaintment etc.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 AM

145 posts, read 834,511 times
Quote:
One of the places that I'm most interested in is in the area bounded by Centreville, Coppermine, and Frying Pan roads. I think it's the McNair Farms subdivision, and it feeds into McNair-Carson-Westfield. How nice is this area? Is it safe?
Not sure which side of Centreville Road you're talking about. They're both nice areas, but the west side sees a lot of traffic on Coppermine as it is used as a shortcut between Frying Pan and Centreville Roads- plus a ton of people work back there.
There are a lot of townhomes back there--only townhomes, I think--including some new ones being built by K Hovnanian. You should be able to find some good deals, and it's really close to the toll road.

Just make sure if you choose that west side (closer to Dulles), you live on a back street. There's plenty of shopping at the Clock Tower, but make sure there are sidewalks between your home and there.

You might hear the occasional plane, but living near Dulles does not create much noise. I lived in Chantilly, on the corner of 50 and Centreville Rd., and we never had a problem with noise. It was kind of nice in the evenings to see the lights of 5 or 6 planes lined up on the same landing path.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
I'd worry more about the toll road noise in some of those neighborhoods rather than the Dullas airport noise. If you find a house use google eath to plug in the address and make sure your backyard isn't RIGHT behind the toll road. (Ashburn and Leesburg have this same problem!)

Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I'd worry more about the toll road noise in some of those neighborhoods rather than the Dullas airport noise. If you find a house use google eath to plug in the address and make sure your backyard isn't RIGHT behind the toll road. (Ashburn and Leesburg have this same problem!)
The toll road won't cause any noise that will disturb you...so don't even concern yourself about that. Most importantly there really arent any houses in Herndon that back up extremely close to the toll road.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
There are TH that back up directly to the toll road in Herndon. Right off of PARCHER AVE. The houses off of FAROUGI CT are very close as well as the new condo/TH they bulit next door. The condos and TH off of WORLDGATE back up to the toll as well.

So yes there is housing that is very close to the Toll. REston has some as well. As well as Fairfax county parkway. Which can generate ALOT of road noise, LOTS of houses in both HERNDON and RESTON back up to it.

My point was that ROAD noise would be more of an issue than Airport noise.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
There are TH that back up directly to the toll road in Herndon. Right off of PARCHER AVE. The houses off of FAROUGI CT are very close as well as the new condo/TH they bulit next door. The condos and TH off of WORLDGATE back up to the toll as well.

So yes there is housing that is very close to the Toll. REston has some as well. As well as Fairfax county parkway. Which can generate ALOT of road noise, LOTS of houses in both HERNDON and RESTON back up to it.

My point was that ROAD noise would be more of an issue than Airport noise.
As a matter of fact I know what you're referring too, and the community abbuts 267 has a sound barrier between the property line and 267. The community near worldgate isn't as close to the toll road though. Eventhough these communities are this close road noise won't be a major problem. I have lived in Herndon for a few years, and the toll road has never bothered me, nor have any of my neighbors complained about it either. Unless you have ears like a cat or bat don't be overly concerned. You can however, hear a low flying airplane every now and again though...but it really isn't a bothersome type of noise though. I actually though it was kind've kool to see a 747-400 flying low for a landing.

Last edited by seldomseen; 06-22-2007 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-23-2007, 09:41 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,452 times
Speaking of Hovnanian townhouses... what do people think about the new ones going up at Coppermine. $400K to start seems a bit pricey for the how far out the area is and considering the market is a bit saturated with at the moment with people offering $10K in closing costs and seeing many existing properties where prices have been lowered anywhere from $30-50K etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia