Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 58,571 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Old Town Alexandria and have been considering purchasing a scooter/moped for my daily commute and errands around town. I work in Crystal City, so my daily 3 mile drive (in my car) takes me on Rt. 1. Here are my questions/concerns:

1) Will it be safe to be riding a moped on Rt. 1 during rush hour traffic?

2) Does anyone have a recommendation for a good commuter moped?

3) Where is a good place to purchase a moped/scooter in DC? I've been checking out craigslist, but I'd be more comfortable with going into a store and educating myself.

4) Any other scooter/moped owners out there with tips/tricks for riding in DC?

Any comments/tips/tricks etc. are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM

82 posts, read 317,763 times
My desire to live would overtake any of your questions. Scooters/mopeds are not the way to go in this area.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 11,028 times
It depends on what type of scooter you want. Vespa of Washington [url=http://www.vespawashington.com]Washington, District of Columbia, Vespa, Scooter, Dealer, Parts,[/url] sells Vepsa, Piaggio, and Kymco scooters. I have two coworkers who bought scooters there and they're happy. You'll be reasonably safe in good weather, the drivers out here seem to go crazy whenever the weather changes. Since you're driving up rt. 1 I would recommend at 150cc+ scooter as 35mph for a 50cc isn't going to cut it even in rush hour traffic.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 PM

53 posts, read 143,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvared View Post
My desire to live would overtake any of your questions. Scooters/mopeds are not the way to go in this area.
the more traffic you have the better and safer it is to ride a scooter
because everybody avarages at 5-25mph during rush hours

Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,934 times
An a 150 cc scooter will do the job. 84 miles per gallon is not bad, be careful with the rush hours , beat them up driving ahead of time, drive carefully like a gentleman not like a maniac, check with any Alexandria Virginia law enforcement officer or any DMV official for rules and tips, im not sure if you can use the bicycles lanes , check that out, wear a helmet always for you own safety ... scooter lights on all the for extra visibility and others driver can see you too.GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS...drive safe !

Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Rios View Post
An a 150 cc scooter will do the job. 84 miles per gallon is not bad, be careful with the rush hours , beat them up driving ahead of time, drive carefully like a gentleman not like a maniac, check with any Alexandria Virginia law enforcement officer or any DMV official for rules and tips, im not sure if you can use the bicycles lanes , check that out, wear a helmet always for you own safety ... scooter lights on all the for extra visibility and others driver can see you too.GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS...drive safe !
Thanks for bumping an OLD thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,421 times
I live with my family in San Diego, but spend 1 or 2 weeks a month in Alexandria's west end where I maintain a condo and commute by bus to my office about 5 miles down king street. I was planning on getting my M2 license and taking the motorcycle safety class so that I could buy a scooter to commute to work on days when the weather permits. This will also allow me to run errands to the grocery store and such. Is this a bad idea?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Not a bad idea IMO opinion, but I ride a motorcycle so I'm a bit biased. If the scooter you want is below 50cc, then you are not required to have a Motorcycle endorsement on your license. That scooter also does not need license plates or to be insured so that lowers the operating costs. The drawback of those 50cc scooters though is the top speed is usually limited to around 35mph, and that's on level ground and the operator isn't too "bulky", a tail wind also helps. Also it needs to be at least 125cc to operate on a highway (I95 etc).

Even if you get a 50cc scooter, I'd still suggest taking a motorcycle safety class. That class not only teaches you how to operate a motorcycle, but also strategies to keep you safe on the roads. I took my course at the local community college (NOVA | Alexandria Campus | Motorcycle Rider Training Program). They're are also classes available at private companies, but usually they are more expensive because they are not subsidized like the course offered at NVCC.

Keep the shiney side up 8)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia