Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 27,178 times

Advertisements

We are looking to potentially move from San Diego (I know, we must be crazy, it is super awesome here!) to Northern Virginia to be closer to family. I work remotely as a mortgage underwriter and hubby works for a major aerospace company and they have offices in Herndon and SW D.C.

We live in a centrally located neighborhood now, $6 uber to the airport, close to the beaches, downtown, freeways, etc. I'd like somewhere similar in VA. Looking at Reston and Arlington specifically as they both have Spanish immersion elementary schools and we would love for our son to start kinder in an immersion school next fall (2018).

If hubby worked in the Herndon office for his company and we lived in Arlington, would that technically be a reverse commute? I know if we lived in Reston it would be a cinch from a commute perspective. I don't know how much he's going to be into working in D.C. proper. I've worked in downtown Seattle and midtown Manhattan so I think it would be great...but I work from home now for my job

And for schools, do we have to be out there early to get on admission lists for public schools in Arlington and Fairfax districts? Our original plan was for next summer so our son can finish out preschool here. It's also way easier to sell in the summer. Plus, I'd love another year here...SD is a nice place to live!

Any words of wisdom on neighborhoods, commute times, etc, would be awesome! thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:08 PM

313 posts, read 552,851 times
Yes, it's a reverse commute, but that doesn't matter at night. 66 from Falls Church through DC is pretty miserable in both directions. You can expect probably 35 minutes in the morning, closer to 55 at night for bankers hours.

The same amount of house will be more expensive in Arlington than Reston (on the order of 200k, YMMV), so budget is pretty much the deciding factor between Reston and Arlington for most people. Arlington will give you quick access to DCA, Reston is fifteen minutes away from Dulles so I think you're covered from that aspect. The amount of traffic won't shock you either being from San Diego but that's about where the similarities end. One advantage Arlington has is access to a metro which can get you to DC and to the differing neighborhoods (Rosslyn, Ballston, Clarendon). Reston is connected on the same line, but it's just not the same due to how much further development is along in Arlington. Metro just came to Reston in the last couple of years.

Reston is very walkable as is Arlington, but Reston was engineered specifically for a walkability as 'planned community' (lots of bike paths, sidewalks, parks etc..). Arlington is walkable along the main drags near the metro, but you're going to have to bus to get to South Arlington real estate. One of the draws of Reston is the Town Center, essentially our version of the Gas Lamp district but about 1/10 as cool. Its a big outdoor mall, and they'll have activities all year round (ice rink in the winter, local bands performing during the summer, festivals), but nowhere near as exciting of a bar/restaurant scene you get to experience daily. Arlington has the same offerings along a couple of its main drags (Wilson Blvd and Clarendon Blvd), but of course it's not as well structured and convenient as the mall.

If you're looking for an area great with families, I'd also suggest you look at Vienna. Very good schools there and won't be as expensive Arlington.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,039,183 times
You can enroll in public schools here anytime. Look up your neighborhood school and walk into the office some morning.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:08 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,257,496 times
Badger gave you great advice. Let me know if you have any specific Reston questions. I love Reston!

Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 27,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
Yes, it's a reverse commute, but that doesn't matter at night. 66 from Falls Church through DC is pretty miserable in both directions. You can expect probably 35 minutes in the morning, closer to 55 at night for bankers hours.

The same amount of house will be more expensive in Arlington than Reston (on the order of 200k, YMMV), so budget is pretty much the deciding factor between Reston and Arlington for most people. Arlington will give you quick access to DCA, Reston is fifteen minutes away from Dulles so I think you're covered from that aspect. The amount of traffic won't shock you either being from San Diego but that's about where the similarities end. One advantage Arlington has is access to a metro which can get you to DC and to the differing neighborhoods (Rosslyn, Ballston, Clarendon). Reston is connected on the same line, but it's just not the same due to how much further development is along in Arlington. Metro just came to Reston in the last couple of years.

Reston is very walkable as is Arlington, but Reston was engineered specifically for a walkability as 'planned community' (lots of bike paths, sidewalks, parks etc..). Arlington is walkable along the main drags near the metro, but you're going to have to bus to get to South Arlington real estate. One of the draws of Reston is the Town Center, essentially our version of the Gas Lamp district but about 1/10 as cool. Its a big outdoor mall, and they'll have activities all year round (ice rink in the winter, local bands performing during the summer, festivals), but nowhere near as exciting of a bar/restaurant scene you get to experience daily. Arlington has the same offerings along a couple of its main drags (Wilson Blvd and Clarendon Blvd), but of course it's not as well structured and convenient as the mall.

If you're looking for an area great with families, I'd also suggest you look at Vienna. Very good schools there and won't be as expensive Arlington.

Good call on Vienna! Spoke to my husband at length about it tonight and he doesn't want to work in the D.C. office but would rather work in the Herndon one. We actually were looking at ones zoned for his old high school, Oakton. Great schools there for sure. He also reminded me that we opened the VA 529 plan for our son. Need to look at prepaying tuition. If we move during the summer, do we just show up at the neighborhood school to register for kinder? This is our first (and only!) kid so still figuring this stuff out!

Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,039,183 times
Yes. School offices near me are open 9:00 to 3:00 M-F during the summer, but call to see what local hours are.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 PM

26,702 posts, read 41,836,904 times
I live In Arlington and work in Fairfax and the morning commute is easy but the evening commute is no fun going back to Arlington as Badger said.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,416 times
I usually do not take 66 but I have to say that within the last few years the traffic coming into DC on 395 north in the afternoon seems worse than the morning commute traffic and the evening commute traffic going south. It looks horrible on a good day and if there is something wrong on the bridges it looks unbearable.

Is 66 like this now as well?

Old 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM

49 posts, read 99,661 times
I would avoid 66 at any time! Known for the hell traffic!!

Jokes aside, I recommend Vienna and Mclean area. Those two are especially convenient with all major highways going both ways with dulles airport load. Mclean you pay a bit more than Vienna generally, but you will get relatively a better school especially elementary level.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2017, 04:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,323,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijyeo85 View Post
I would avoid 66 at any time! Known for the hell traffic!!

Jokes aside, I recommend Vienna and Mclean area. Those two are especially convenient with all major highways going both ways with dulles airport load. Mclean you pay a bit more than Vienna generally, but you will get relatively a better school especially elementary level.

Good luck!
There's no difference in school quality between Mclean and Vienna. They're both affluent areas. Mclean costs more because it's closer to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia