Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 66,133 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at relocating to the RTP area for a new job, and someone recommended Hillsborough.
  • How are the schools in Hillsborough compared to other parts of the triangle? I have three young kids (ages 8, 6, and 2). (My 8-year old has tested at Gifted-level and is in a special program in our current school district in PA. My 6-year old is very musically oriented).
  • What are the neighborhoods like in Hillsborough...newer developments, older homes, etc? What is the style of the homes in the area? Economic, ethic, and political makeup of the area? Ballpark figures for school/real estate taxes and car insurance?
  • Is this an easy commute to Durham (where I will be working)? How about commuting to other parts of the triangle if I were to change jobs down the road?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,094,674 times
I looked at Hillsborough when I was considering a job in Durham. The schools seemed pretty decent and certainly not suffering from some of the growth issues affecting Wake Co. The town is really pretty. But I found myself leaning towards the CH/Carrboro schools because I thought they had a stronger curriculum. I'm from MA, so YMMV if you are moving from a different state.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,066,046 times
I lived in Hillsborough for a year before moving to Durham. It is a very sweet little town. Last I heard, the population was below 10,000. There are some older homes there as well as a few newer neighborhoods. The economic make-up of the population varies a lot. You'll find a couple trailer parks, but also some million dollar properties. What people love about Hillsborough is the quaint atmosphere of the downtown area along Churton Street, as well as the enormous amount of history.

The only problem we had with living in Hillsborough was that we felt as though we were constantly driving to Durham or Chapel Hill for things. I'm not meaning to imply that there is nothing in Hillsborough. There are a few local restaurants, a couple Food Lions, and they now have a Super Wal-Mart and a Home Depot. However, we don't shop at Wal Mart and I like having more options food-wise. I felt kinda isolated there. You may like it, though.

I think most Hillsborough residents can get to any part of Durham within 30 minutes most days. I think we have a regular member of these forums who drives from Hillsborough to RTP every morning and it takes her about 25 minutes. Just keep in mind that Hillsborough is right on the very edge of the Triangle, so going to Raleigh or Cary can take 45 minutes or more without traffic.

While looking at houses on-line, keep in mind that the zip code for Hillsborough (27278) covers a VERY large area. Just type the zip code into this website & you'll see what I mean.
The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!
I have been to homes that had a Hillsborough address that was at least 10 miles away from downtown Hillsborough (maybe more). This means that driving times can vary widely. I suggest that if you find a home that interests you, be sure to check its location on Google Maps. Keep an eye out for the highways that thread around near downtown Hillsborough & through Durham.

Hillsborough is part of the Orange County school system. They seem to be pretty well respected, but I don't have any first-hand experience.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 AM

Thanks for your insight. I've also heard Morrisville and Wake Forest mentioned as potential places to live, but I haven't heard much about those areas on this board. Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,066,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan89 View Post
Thanks for your insight. I've also heard Morrisville and Wake Forest mentioned as potential places to live, but I haven't heard much about those areas on this board. Any thoughts?
Both of those towns get mentioned quite frequently on these boards. A few of the regular members of this forum live in Wake Forest & Morrisville. Have you tried poking about with the search function yet?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:14 AM

I'll give that a shot. I see a lot about Apex, Cary, and the major towns like CH, Raleigh, and Durham. Seems to be some differing opinion on Wake County schools which it looks like both areas are a part of.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:16 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,699,046 times
The Orange County School system just got a new Superintendent in Pat Rhodes who is a great guy who has been working in Orange County, CH/Carrboro, and Durham schools for a long time

Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 AM

107 posts, read 425,608 times
Default the exam scores are pretty decent

My husband and I are considering Hillsborough for our move and since I need to find a new job I looked up the end of course exam scores for the schools in Hillsborough and they were pretty high. Not as strong as Chapel Hill but better than Durham. I think I met the new superintendent when I was job hunting in Durham 6 years ago (he was a principal then). He didn't have an opening at his school but he called around for me and helped me get a job. That was above and beyond which is a great sign. Overall, the school district looks to be pretty good.
We will probably move back to Durham because it is more convenient to where my husband will be working and part of the reason we are leaving Boston is to get away from long commutes. Hillsborough is very cute though.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 AM

997 posts, read 4,648,231 times
SaxMan. A brief synopsis of some of the Triangle areas that I can comment on.

Morrisville: Very close to RTP and the airport. There is traffic here mostly because of two lane roads. Davis Drive is being widened now to four lanes to RTP. That will help some. Mostly newer neighborhoods. Conveneient to 40 and 540. A few strip malls. They are getting a Walmart and Sams Club. For now, you will do most of your shopping at Southpoint, Brier Creek or in Cary. I live in Cary on the Morrisville side and I hardly notice the difference when I am in Morrisville. The two seems to just blend in to each other for me. Part of the Wake County School System.

Cary: Very pretty, clean town IMO. Lots of activities and shopping. A variety of housing in all price ranges. New construction in upward of 400k though. Very safe according to statistics. Bicycle friendly. Town of Cary greenway system with walking trails and many parks. Convienent to RTP as well. What I like about Cary is you can get to almost anywhere in the Triangle within 30 minutes due to its location. Part of the Wake County School System. Some of the better Wake County Schools in my opinion.

Wake Forest: Larger, wooded lots here. Nice new homes being built. Some in the millions. Convenient to Capital Blvd and 540. There is traffic on Capital at rush hour. Lots of shopping on Capital plus Triangle Town Center. There are lots of new shopping centers in Wake Forest. Charming downtown. Convenient to Raleigh and Durham. Part of the Wake County Schools.

Durham: The only part about Durham I can comment on is South Point. I do alot of my shopping there. They have some affordable new housing plus some expensive ones such as Colvard Farms. I have been up to the golf coummunity of Treyburn a couple of times. Durham has some great restaurants. Shopping of 15/501 in addition to Southpoint. Maybe someone who is more familiar with Durham like Mrs. Steel can comment on the rest.

Chapel Hill: College Community. Excellent Schools (Chapel Hill-Carrboro). The priciest of the Triangle though. Wooded. Small town community feel even with the population size. Nice downtown. I love Franklin Street with its restaurants and town feel. Community activities. Convenient to 40. Shopping on 15/501 in CH with the most being in Durham down the road. Southpoint for the closest mall.

Apex: Small town South of Cary that is growing very fast. Nice quaint downtown with some small shops. Still convenient to RTP. Traffic on 55 at rush hour. Plently of Shopping now with Beaver Creek on 64 and 55. Convienent to Crossroads in Cary. Jordan Lake is nearby. Good Schools. Part of Wake County.

Raleigh: Too much to cover. Depends on what you are looking for. Lots of Shopping everywhere. Some very exclusive. Downtown Raleigh. North Raleigh. Inside the Beltline. West Raleigh. Southeast Raleigh. A variety of housing in all price ranges. North Raleigh is convenient to RTP, Durham and Wake Forest.

Hope this helps. There is alot more about each community but that is a brief overview. Hope it helps.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,699,046 times
The Northern part of Durham is a little more rural and overall a lot more quiet and peaceful. Tons of parks and outdoor activities. Closer to the Hospitals than South Durham, and a lot less traffic. There's a Costco, and a Super Target will be coming soon. Plenty of grocery stores, drug stores, etc. The homes in North Durham are also a whole lot more reasonable than most other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary