Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 PM

47 posts, read 282,092 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with the elementary schools in Centreville or Chantilly? Some of them are rated OK and some not so much on greatschools.com, which is surprising to me. The parent reviews seem to be good for most of them and I've looked at some of the other demographic info but I was surprised that the ratings based on the test scores weren't higher for schools in that area. Should some of these test scores be a red flag, you think? I would be interested in any experiences that people have with some of these schools. There are several house rentals we've been looking at where the kids would be going to Deer Park Elementary. Some others for Centreville Elementary. Thanks!

Ratings for Greatschools.com:
Centreville -
London Towne Elementary - 3
Centre Ridge Elementary - 3
Centreville Elementary - 5
Deer Park Elementary - 6
Cub Run Elementary - 6
Virginia Run - 8

Chantilly -
Brookfield Elementary - 3
Poplar Tree Elementary - 6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
My son and dd (now 16 and 22) were both at Centreville Elem. - of course it was a long time ago . In the 2nd grade my son's teacher noticed that his reading skills were far behind the others, yet he was above grade level in other subjects. They recommended spec ed for him and were awesome thru the years in giving him extra help in reading. (The whole process of getting classified as spec ec is very time consuming in Fx County and requires meeting with the school board) At 16 his reading is fine and he is in all honors classes - thanks to the Fx school system.

On another level, I lived in Centreville for 9 years and loved it!!! It is small town, yet close to everything. They even have a yearly parade. You will see your neighbor's at the grocery store and Starbucks and they will say hello. Very good place to raise a family.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks. That is good to hear about Centreville Elementary.

I'm glad you mentioned that about your son and his experience with spec ed there. That is something I forgot to mention - one of my sons most likely will have an IEP so we will be dealing with the spec ed system, too. It has been a very time consuming process here in the Boston area as well but has been well worth it. The services have been amazing and I'm glad to hear that the programs in Fairfax County will be good, too.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM

847 posts, read 3,519,381 times
The only one I would avoid for sure is London Towne. The others I think you will be fine with, however I do not know much about Brookfield. The ratings seem surprisingly right on, I think Cub Run is an excellent school.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks. I'm glad to hear about that about Cub Run because we were looking in that area, too. The area around London Towne looked a little more sketchy to us from some or our research and the low rating and some of the demographics we'd found about the school made it sound like one we may want to avoid.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 68,128 times
London Towne is actually a wonderful elementary school with a diverse student body. We are in the Cub Run area but choose to send both our daughters to the immersion program at LT. They both thrived there and are excelling academically in the middle school and high school level. The teachers at LT are some of the most loving and caring individuals I have ever met and I feel privileged to have known them. Before ruling this school out you should pay it a visit and meet the staff and see the kids. I think you would be surprised. Yes, LT has a ESOL poplulation which makes test scores hard to compare, but it is definitely worth a look.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 PM

15 posts, read 60,889 times
Default Centreville ES

Is a great school...tremendous ethnic diversity in the student body, great teachers and leadership and if you don't participate as a parent they kick you out of the community. Just kidding. Sort of. They have a great program.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Thanks. This is very helpful feedback. Does anyone have any experience with Deer Park? I can't find any reviews online about it.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:36 AM

15 posts, read 68,128 times
No personal experience. Don't know of anyone having problems with Deer Park. Again the ESL population is higher than VA Run or Cub Run which will make test scores hard to judge. I worked in a preschool in the area for 10 years or so and had several of the kids go on to Deer Park without hearing any negative feedback. If you can arrange it, you really should try to visit the schools you may be interested in to get a feel for them and the staff.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:42 AM

That is a good suggestion. I think we would definitely get a better feel for it if we visited while we are out there in a few months looking at properties before we move. We are still a year away as our kids have one more year of preschool before they start kindergarten but we want to make sure we are located close to a good school when they do start - also is important that the school has good services for special needs children as I think we will still have one with an IEP at that point. Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia