Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:22 PM

9 posts, read 15,246 times

Advertisements

I am looking to speak with a divorce attorney for an initial consultation. Ideally, I would like to meet for an an hour and learn about the process. Learn about worst case scenarios and likely outcomes. Learn what to do and not to do beforehand.

I am not looking to commit myself in any way to this attorney for future work. I will likely pay the bill in cash. I am not looking to fill out any forms. I am not looking to get a sales job on why they would best serve by needs.

Is this a reasonable request that an attorney would consider. If so, what would be the typical costs of such a meeting? I spoke over email to one attorney and he wanted $450. That was way more than I was looking to pay. Any particular referrals for attorney's in the northwest Fairfax area (Dulles, Herndon, Reston, Sterling, Ashburn, Chantilly) would be helpful also.

fwiw I have not yet made a decision to get divorced, and its likely that I will not pursue it, but I do want to understand my options. I would prefer not to discuss the details of my particular situation or commentary about the merits of divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,416,918 times
I've not used these attorneys so I can't recommend them based on their merits.

But just a quick Google search, and these guys pop up. Their homepage says they will give you a 20 minute consultation for free. Fairfax VA Family Law Attorney | Virginia Divorce, Child Custody & Support Lawyer

Old 11-08-2013, 03:15 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
Surprisingly, I found out that your insurance (if you have it) for..(having a brain freeze, whatever it's called for drugs/alcohol, etc. problems - can recommend lawyers, they cover more things such as child care, etc.) and you usually get an initial free consultation plus a discount (I found this out because I had an injury and had called them to ask what I should do about billing and found this out)

Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoe76 View Post
I am looking to speak with a divorce attorney for an initial consultation. Ideally, I would like to meet for an an hour and learn about the process. Learn about worst case scenarios and likely outcomes. Learn what to do and not to do beforehand.

I am not looking to commit myself in any way to this attorney for future work. I will likely pay the bill in cash. I am not looking to fill out any forms. I am not looking to get a sales job on why they would best serve by needs.

Is this a reasonable request that an attorney would consider. If so, what would be the typical costs of such a meeting? I spoke over email to one attorney and he wanted $450. That was way more than I was looking to pay. Any particular referrals for attorney's in the northwest Fairfax area (Dulles, Herndon, Reston, Sterling, Ashburn, Chantilly) would be helpful also.

fwiw I have not yet made a decision to get divorced, and its likely that I will not pursue it, but I do want to understand my options. I would prefer not to discuss the details of my particular situation or commentary about the merits of divorce.
That's not normal. There is an elite bar of divorce attorneys that handle very contested divorce cases for upper middle class and wealthy people whose assets may be in the millions. They tend to charge that much if they don't know you or if you weren't referred to them by people they know well. The reason is there is an unethical tactic where people abuse free consultations at the top firms early to disqualify their spouse from hiring them later. These firms are very busy, very expensive, but also very good. They have the firepower to battle huge cases that involves tons of experts and scorched earth tactics. They have a list of these attorneys in the Washingtonian every few years and those firms advertise heavily in glossy local magazines that cater to the wealthy.

Your run of the mill family/divorce lawyer typically charges less than $100 for an initial consultation. Sometimes they are free and if you get a referral from the VA bar, they charge you $35. If you need a more detailed consultation that goes over strategy, etc., it would probably be at their hourly rates ($200 to $300 per hour). I'd go for an inexpensive 1/2 consultation and then determine if you need a follow up visit.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
It was too late for me to edit - but it's your insurance plans' EAP (Employee Assistance Program)

Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 AM

40 posts, read 58,408 times
Doesn't appear you've received a direct answer. I can recommend Bean, Kinney..et al - their family law attorneys are competent based on my own experience.

Best of luck to you...

Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM

I just realized the firm I recommend is not in your preferred locale. That said, depending on your own circumstances, it might be worth spending the extra time resources to travel to Arlington to see someone in that firm.

As I recall, the average rate is $300/hr. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing some research on your own ahead of time - research the basics of family law/divorce on the NOLO website, write your own list of questions and ask for a half hour consult if money is a concern.

This is one area (again, depending on your circumstances) where it would be wise to not jump over dollars just to save dimes.

FL

Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM

33 posts, read 62,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose77777 View Post
Doesn't appear you've received a direct answer. I can recommend Bean, Kinney..et al - their family law attorneys are competent based on my own experience.

Best of luck to you...
Not in Fairfax, but I would definitely recommend Bean, Kinney and Korman. They handled my divorce and I am currently using them for my custody case as well. Trust me, its better to go with a firm that may charge a little more vs an attorney that is on his own (like was the case for me ex) He was horrible and I know my ex spent way more than she had to because he wasn't as well prepared. Arlington, Va. is not that far. I am happy with my choice. My attorney's have been so professional with me and 100% ethical unlike some of the attorneys I spoke with in the beginning.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Agreed - I am not affiliated with this firm, its' just that I wasted quite a bit of time and money on other attorneys before finding them and once you have something to compare them to - it's no brainer - competence wins over all else.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:49 AM

159 posts, read 278,452 times
Brian Hirsch
Hirsch & Ehlenberger, PC
Reston, VA
(703) 481-6063

Very competent; will charge for initial consultation. Experienced, reasonable. Will stress the importance of settling, recommend mediation for the Property & Settlement Agreement which will protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia