Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 AM
ctl ctl started this thread

5 posts, read 5,835 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have found the information on this site invaluable to narrowing down places to live in the DC area. I am moving to the area next summer and will be taking a job in Arlington. My wife and I (early 30's) have four kids (3 mos, 2.5 yrs, 5 yrs, 7 yrs) and a giant Newfoundland dog and am trying to narrow down communities/places to live.

I haven't settled yet on whether we plan to rent or buy, but will be in the area for likely 5 years+, so it is increasingly likely I will buy. I realize that something will have to flex on the wish list below, but wanted to get some insight from the crowd as to any places to take a look at.

Here is what we are looking for:
3 BR+
2 BA+
1500+ sq ft
Open floor plan
Some yard, fenced preferred
Fewer floors is better
Garaged parking preferred (2 vehicles)
Large breed dog allowed (if renting)
Low HOA fees
Single family or townhouse only (no apartment/condo)

Community/neighborhood
Close to park (5-10 min walk)
Great public school
Close to metro/rail/bus option for shorter commute to Ballston/Arlington area
Strong neighborhood or community feel (similar age families with kids preferred)
Fitness options nearby (10-15 min drive, walk preferred) - Yoga studios, gyms

Budget: $500,000-$675,000 purchase price or $3000-$3500 monthly (rental).

I am not opposed to creative options for commuting (VRE, metro, etc), but if I do take a longer option (30+ minutes), I would prefer to do so by rail or metro, not by car.

I am familiar'ish with the area (served in the Marine Corps) and have spent my share of time in Quantico, but really don't know the NoVA area well enough to be informed when it comes to narrowing down communities and places to live.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,731,910 times
My gut says you should look in western McLean; there are still some '50s ramblers about that size within your budget, I think. McLean will be a tolerable commute to Arlington via 123 and Glebe Road. Some of the best schools in the region.

You could also look in N. Arlington. It's easy to find that number of bedrooms/square feet, and because almost all the homes are older, HOAs are rare. However, they almost all have a basement and an upstairs--with the exception of the ramblers, built from about 1950-1975. There are still some of in Arlington that haven't been replaced by McMansions, but there are more on the west side of McLean. (The east side is $$$$.) And garages are rare in all prewar homes--which means most of Arlington. (McLean was not built out till later.)

Generally, one-level houses are not as common around here, because land is pricey, and unlike the SW USA, we don't have the freakishly hot summers that make more than one level expensive to keep cool.

I have seen newer houses in S. Arlington (which is less expensive), with garages--but the schools there are lower-performing.

Another option might be Vienna, but I don't know much about the housing there. Good luck!

EDIT: Just realized you want to be near the Metro. Sorry--not doable within your budget. A 3BR-2BA Cape with a one-car garage near a Metro in a good school district runs about $750K here.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-29-2013 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 08:28 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,951,884 times
For $650k, you should be able to find a home in Reston (which will have metro access in under a year). You'd have to find a way to get to to the station (bus, drive, dropped off), then you'd have to change metro lines, and then hopefully walk to the office depending how far from the station it is.

You could do the same sort of commute from West Springfield. There are express buses to the pentagon where you could catch the blue line, switch to orange, and walk to work. Or you could drive to the springfield metro and skip the bus part.

Where in Arlington is your office going to be? North (ballston-ish) vs. south (rosslyn, pentagon) suggests two different commutes.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 AM

The office would be in the Ballston area. In fact, the Ballston metro is within striking distance.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
My gut says you should look in western McLean; there are still some '50s ramblers about that size within your budget, I think. McLean will be a tolerable commute to Arlington via 123 and Glebe Road. Some of the best schools in the region.

You could also look in N. Arlington. It's easy to find that number of bedrooms/square feet, and because almost all the homes are older, HOAs are rare. However, they almost all have a basement and an upstairs--with the exception of the ramblers, built from about 1950-1975. There are still some of in Arlington that haven't been replaced by McMansions, but there are more on the west side of McLean. (The east side is $$$$.) And garages are rare in all prewar homes--which means most of Arlington. (McLean was not built out till later.)

Generally, one-level houses are not as common around here, because land is pricey, and unlike the SW USA, we don't have the freakishly hot summers that make more than one level expensive to keep cool.

I have seen newer houses in S. Arlington (which is less expensive), with garages--but the schools there are lower-performing.

Another option might be Vienna, but I don't know much about the housing there. Good luck!

EDIT: Just realized you want to be near the Metro. Sorry--not doable within your budget. A 3BR-2BA Cape with a one-car garage near a Metro in a good school district runs about $750K here.
It doesn't have to be metro, but if I start to look at 45 min+ via car I quickly lose interest. I have done the long commute thing before and do not like it at all. As I said, we are very flexible so if it means a 3 story townhouse closer to the city, so be it.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:35 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,731,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl View Post
It doesn't have to be metro, but if I start to look at 45 min+ via car I quickly lose interest. I have done the long commute thing before and do not like it at all. As I said, we are very flexible so if it means a 3 story townhouse closer to the city, so be it.
If you could live without a garage, you could find something in your range 5 minutes west of Ballston--Dominion Hills, Boulevard Manor (both with lots of ramblers), Bluemont, Bon-Air, Madison Manor. We don't get a lot of snow here, and if you have a shady driveway or spot out front, it's not that bad without a garage.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 AM

947 posts, read 1,403,447 times
Reston would be a good fit for you. On your stated budget of $500-675K you could easily buy a good single family home (not a fixer-upper) in a very nice, safe area of Reston. Reston Association (our mega-HOA overlords) annual fee this year was $590.

Your kids would have a ton of opportunities, between all the RA activities, summer camps and pools; the Reston Community Center; the Walker Nature Centure; sport leagues, etc. There is a lot of protected open space for walking and biking.

Commuting to Ballston by public transit would be relatively easy. Metro's new Silver Line extension will have its western terminus in Reston (Wiehle Avenue) and is scheduled to open in early 2014. Ballston would be six stops down the line, and you would not have to change trains. As for getting to the Wiehle Avenue station, all Fairfax Connector buses that serve north and south Reston (eight, by my count) and that currently bring commuters to the West Falls Church Metro station will be rerouted to drop passengers off at Wiehle Avenue.

Semper fi, and good luck with the move.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,927,093 times
"And garages are rare in all prewar homes--which means most of Arlington. (McLean was not built out till later.)"

Two-car garages are also rare in McLean, especially in the under $800K homes. A 1-car garage or carport area is more common.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
"And garages are rare in all prewar homes--which means most of Arlington. (McLean was not built out till later.)"

Two-car garages are also rare in McLean, especially in the under $800K homes. A 1-car garage or carport area is more common.
I didn't expect a garage in this area/price range. Honestly, I have a garage now, but it is used for storage, not parking cars. We don't have a basement, so it sounds like the trade off would be a basement in lieu of a garage. Not a big a deal.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM

540 posts, read 791,444 times
Well, another chance to recommend my area 22046 or 22043 Falls Church, you'll get more for your money in the Fairfax County than in Falls Church City itself. Easy drive to West Falls Church for a quick <10 min metro to Ballston. Or on days where you want to drive, it will be 20-25 min or so (but not via 66, it is HOV in the rush periods). I've even seen a Newfoundland walking around in our neighborhood.

The hard parts will be finding a 2 car garage, though it isn't impossible. Open floor plans will be hit or miss. The original owner (1965) of our house had the foresight to leave the kitchen wall out, but most of my neighborhood has it in.

Not recommendations, just examples of <$650k in the location I'm talking about:

7417 WESTWOOD PARK Ln, FALLS CHURCH, VA 22046 | MLS# FX8093417 | Redfin
2532 REMINGTON St, FALLS CHURCH, VA 22046 | MLS# FX8118639 | Redfin

Little further W & SW, still good schools
9208 SAINT MARKS Pl, FAIRFAX, VA 22031 | MLS# FX8084934 | Redfin
2407 CEDAR Ln, VIENNA, VA 22180 | MLS# FX8120755 | Redfin

Rentals:

6509 THIRTY THIRD N ST, FALLS CHURCH, VA 22043 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
6816 29TH ST N, ARLINGTON, VA 22213 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
8524 PEPPERDINE DR, VIENNA, VA 22180 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
9233 CHAPEL HILL TER, FAIRFAX, VA 22031 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia