Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,364,621 times

Advertisements

I live in AZ, but am getting killed on my condo in Fairfax. I could raise the rent $200 a month, but then my excellent tenant would leave and it'd take me nine months at the new rent to make back the one month I lost trying to re-rent the place. I'm down $500 a month when nothing at all goes wrong. That's a good $30k since I moved out of the place in 2008.

I've been talking a lot with a very helpful realtor, but he doesn't convey any sense of excitement or urgency about the current market, which, I hear from others, is really heating up in NoVA. I bought in Oct. 2004, so before the peak, but ran up a HELOC while switching careers during the peak. So I need to sell it for what I bought it for in order to not have to write a check at closing. Are we almost there (again)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 PM

262 posts, read 842,102 times
What is name of condo community?

(You can see what is for sale and recent actual sale prices at the Frankly MLS website)

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,472,405 times
How hot you ask? Well, for the next couple of days, everything is going to be hot... ...with temps of 90 degrees F. Ouch! Ouch!!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,322,936 times
What he said. Low inventory, low interest rates, 90+ degree heat wave. The market is very hot

Old 05-29-2013, 01:40 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,899,893 times
the market is definitely moving right now. condos can potentially be a more difficult property to move for various reasons (high condo dues, lack of approved financing for a community, etc)

Old 05-29-2013, 02:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,432,128 times
The market is very hot, but for single family homes with two car garages, 3000 sq ft, etc. There is way more demand than supply for these types of homes (in Fairfax and the other closer to DC counties). There is still plenty of land to build on in PWC so it isn't as crazy there.

There are still a ton of condos available with more being built all the time as well. While I don't think they are depreciating, I don't think condos are really hot either. Run a search and see if you can find some comps for your condo to see if it's worth listing.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,577,253 times
I'd like to think that you could sell it for more than what you paid for it, 9 years ago, regardless of the existing loan balance. Not to be a jerk here, but if you've been losing $6,000/year on it, why have you not spent the $400 to get it appraised already? Now, with the low interest rates, would be the time to cut it loose from your own personal financial balance sheet. Take your current loan balance and mulitply by 1.06 to give you what you'd need it to sell for to break even and clear realtor fees. I'd have to assume that you've at least realized 6% appreciation in value over the past 9 years in Fairfax, VA. I've realized twice that amount over the past 18 months in Loudoun County alone (and I'm far from unique in that regard).

Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,364,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'd like to think that you could sell it for more than what you paid for it, 9 years ago, regardless of the existing loan balance. Not to be a jerk here, but if you've been losing $6,000/year on it, why have you not spent the $400 to get it appraised already? Now, with the low interest rates, would be the time to cut it loose from your own personal financial balance sheet. Take your current loan balance and mulitply by 1.06 to give you what you'd need it to sell for to break even and clear realtor fees. I'd have to assume that you've at least realized 6% appreciation in value over the past 9 years in Fairfax, VA. I've realized twice that amount over the past 18 months in Loudoun County alone (and I'm far from unique in that regard).
Believe me, I'd done the math plenty of times. I bought for $343k and that's just about what I'd need to sell it for to pay the realtor and both loans off. Why pay for an appraisal? My realtor seems pretty knowledgeable and he's watching the neighborhood activity for me. I hear there's a unit under contract for $320k now and mine is an end unit. But I don't think that adds that much value. This is in the Greens at Wescott Ridge in Fairfax.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,638 times
We just purchased a condo in Fairfax. Unless the condo is in really bad shape we noticed (in the fairfax area) that they were under contract/had a bid within one week or two. Just what I have noticed since we have been looking at real estate over the past month--even condos are moving pretty quickly.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,305,374 times
It's pretty clear most of the "heat" is in lower end properties. I'm not seeing a whole lot of frenzy in the $500-750K range and a'm guessing most of the buyers are former renters or people moving in from out of the area, rather than move-up buyers looking to improve their locations or amenities. Zillow projects prices in my zip code will barely increase (by 2%) at the rate of inflation. That's not a sign of a hot market overall like we saw in the mid-2000s or like what they're seeing in California where the house I grew up in is projected to increase by 11% in the coming year.

I'd rate the market here as tepid, particularly considering the low level of inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: