Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,120 times

Advertisements

You can be ticketed for using the airport lanes to duck the toll. There is a way around this however. If you go to the airport gas station for anything they can't ticket you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
You can be ticketed for using the airport lanes to duck the toll. There is a way around this however. If you go to the airport gas station for anything they can't ticket you.
I'm not going to search this thread, but I believe it was mentioned earlier that that no longer is true. If it wasn't this thread then there must have been another one.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 AM

9,877 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not going to search this thread, but I believe it was mentioned earlier that that no longer is true. If it wasn't this thread then there must have been another one.
It was in reference to the HOV lanes on 66, not the Dulles Toll Road.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
It was in reference to the HOV lanes on 66, not the Dulles Toll Road.
Are you sure that the rules aren't the same between users on the Dulles Access Rd., and Airport users on i-66? Why would the rules be different? If they are, then that's even more confusion created.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Are you sure that the rules aren't the same between users on the Dulles Access Rd., and Airport users on i-66? Why would the rules be different? If they are, then that's even more confusion created.
They are most definitely different. The Toll Road is maintained by MWAA, thus they set the rules. Rt 66 is maintained by the state, thus they set the rules.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
They are most definitely different. The Toll Road is maintained by MWAA, thus they set the rules. Rt 66 is maintained by the state, thus they set the rules.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm referring to the specific rules related to who may use the access road and the rules of who may drive on 66 with only one occupant (driver) in the vehicle (i.e., the rules specifically about airport users). You're saying someone can do the gas station trick on the access road, and then get off before 66 because they don't qualify to use 66? I'm not sure that's correct. It is my understanding that if you qualify under the rules to use the access road, that you are also qualified to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV times. If this is wrong, then would someone please post the different rules, so we can see clearly that there is a difference?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
VDOT - HOV Lanes Rules and FAQs

Quote:
Motorists traveling to and from Dulles International Airport to go to the airport to catch a flight or to pick someone up at the airport are permitted to use I-66 inside the Beltway (I-495) during HOV hours. Motorists traveling to or from Dulles International Airport are not exempt from HOV restrictions on I-66 outside the Beltway (I-495). You are not permitted to use I-66 inside the beltway during HOV hours if you are going to the airport to eat, get coffee, get gas or any other reason other than boarding a plane or picking someone up at the airport.
MWAA FAQ

Quote:
What is the Dulles Access Highway and who can use it?
The highway was built to serve Dulles Airport users and, by federal law and Authority regulation, it is restricted to airport users (as stated in Metropolitan Washington Airports Regulations, §4.2).* The access highway is Authority property, and the Authority Police have primary police jurisdiction along with the Fairfax County Police and the Virginia State Police.
MWAA Regulations
Quote:
§ 4.2. Use of Dulles Access Highway.
(1) Except as provided in Paragraph (2) of this section, a person may use the Dulles Access Highway only for the purpose of going to or leaving Dulles for airport business, or, with the permission of the Airport Manager, to perform work on the Dulles Access Highway. Use by any person of the Dulles Access Highway for a purpose not authorized by this section is prohibited.
(2) Exceptions:
(a) buses that are being operated in common carriage of persons by companies holding a certificate of public convenience and necessity for its operation and for which use of the Dulles Access Highway is appropriate, or
(b) school buses as the term is defined in §46.2-100 of the Code of Virginia.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Thanks! That's helpful. The MWAA doesn't mention the gas station trick. Has it ever actually worked in real life though? I'm sure MWAA cops aren't stupid.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks! That's helpful. The MWAA doesn't mention the gas station trick. Has it ever actually worked in real life though? I'm sure MWAA cops aren't stupid.
I have heard many people say they go to the gas station, but I have never heard a story from someone who was pulled over and used this excuse. Not sure if it works or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia