Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times

Advertisements

I'd answer this, but ignoring attempts by Washington Post reporters to try to sound hip is just so Loudoun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,600,275 times
it wasn't the reporter who made that remark, it was a PG county development lawyer.

"Andre Gingles, a zoning lawyer who represents the Peterson Cos., developers of National Harbor, said some businesses and politicians worried that Olson’s views and Baker’s did not mesh on economic development.
“Some people think he is too ‘Arlington,’ ” Gingles said, referring to the Northern Virginia county that has become a smart-growth hub. "

Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,157,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Is it better to be 703 than 571? I mean it's the difference of "old area code" versus "new area code"
I think that's what passes for old money and new money in Ashburn.

You'd have to dial 212 to reach me: NYC Tech Startups Covet 212 Area Codes -- How to Get a 212 Phone Number - Metropolis - WSJ.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,117,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think Fairfax and Loudoun are each too big to have a singular reputation like Arlington has. For example, I can see someone saying, "She's too Middleburg" and I would conjure up an image of a horse-back riding, wealthy snob. On the other hand, if someone said, "She's too Ashburn. I'd picture someone who rides an SUV or minivan with 3 kids and soccer balls. Neither image, however, is necessarily how I'd describe all of Loudoun.
I think this must be it - though I think it's not just that Fairfax and Loudoun are big, but that they also have multiple areas with distinct identities that contrast with each other (Ashburn/Middleburg, Great Falls/Centreville).

In some Arlington circles, the distinction between North and South Arlington is often emphasized. However, perhaps because South Arlington is less well known and is in transition, the county tends to have a more monolithic image associated with its newer TODs, at least in the eyes of a PG real estate developer.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,431,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
But if someone said someone or something was "too Loudoun" or "so Loudoun," what would it mean?
Example of "so Loudoun" -- Incredible (!) HOAs that provide residents with many rules to live by and enforce them with gusto. HOAs keep people happy and well-behaved.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,324,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
202 could end up becoming dog whistle speak for non-white criminal element. 571 to me indicates someone that moved here under two years ago and spends more time complaining about how unfriendly everyone is than actually trying to make friends.
My husband (NoVA resident since 1997) was a little sad when he got a new cell phone several years ago after switching jobs and was given a 571.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM

10,265 posts, read 16,009,750 times
Arlington basically to me has the same connotation as Bethesda or DC. Funny thing is back in the day when I hear "DC" I think ghetto....like when i hear Baltimore, Philadelphia, or Detroit. Now when I hear "DC" I think very yuppie and uppity.

And might not sound PC,but given the demographics of PG County, maybe they just mean this guy "acts white" (epecially the rich yuppie kind of white)????? Sometimes people DO link places with demographics. Here in Baltimore I quite regularly hear people say things like "he's from the city but he don't act like it" or "she is definitely very Pikesville" (referring to a Jewish area).

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,733,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
My husband (NoVA resident since 1997) was a little sad when he got a new cell phone several years ago after switching jobs and was given a 571.
LOL! My spouse was commenting this week that he still feels like a newbie here, even though we moved to northern Virginia in December 1994.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,743,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Arlington basically to me has the same connotation as Bethesda or DC. Funny thing is back in the day when I hear "DC" I think ghetto....like when i hear Baltimore, Philadelphia, or Detroit. Now when I hear "DC" I think very yuppie and uppity.

And might not sound PC,but given the demographics of PG County, maybe they just mean this guy "acts white" (epecially the rich yuppie kind of white)????? Sometimes people DO link places with demographics. Here in Baltimore I quite regularly hear people say things like "he's from the city but he don't act like it" or "she is definitely very Pikesville" (referring to a Jewish area).
Could be he was wearing brown flip flops! That is so Arlington!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times
Not sure I'd agree HOAs are so Loudoun vs. being so Fairfax (or so Arlington or so PW County). If anything, they'd be so Fairfax, since the original HOA (and the biggest one) is in Fairfax. Also, I believe I read in the Post recently that the greatest number of HOAs is in Fairfax County (and the second greatest is in PW County). Finally, HOAs can be found in every corner of Fairfax; most of Loudoun is actually rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia