Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times

Advertisements

Loudoun supervisors just approved Dulles World Center. It's going to be a relatively dense "mixed use" urban center along the Rt. 28 corridor between Herndon and Dulles Airport. It will have 4.1 million square feet of office, commercial retail, hotel and civic use space and most unusual (for Loudoun) 1,265 apartments. All the buildings are at least 8-10 stories high.

The drawing in the link below makes it look sort of like Tysons Corner or maybe a bigger version of Reston Town Center.

I'm really surprised to see so many apartments in Loudoun but IMO it's a good thing since more and more 20-somethings seem to be interested in moving to the Tech Corridor.

Opinions?

Another mixed-use development slated for Route 28 corridor | LoudounTimes.com

Last edited by Caladium; 03-17-2011 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
It will fail as long as the only ways to get there is to pay a toll or sit in gridlock on Rt7.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,629 times
How far is this from the Metro? I just have visions of see-through buildings; on the other hand, it's not like there's vast amounts of room further in.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It will fail as long as the only ways to get there is to pay a toll or sit in gridlock on Rt7.
Well, I agree that it could make traffic on 28 a real PITA. Regarding accessibility, however, Rt. 28 is accessible by 66, 50, 29 as well as several smaller roads. For example, those living in Sterling can access 28 from Nokes, Church, Sterling Road (aka 606) or Frying Pan. You can also drive parallel to 28 by taking FX County Parkway, Atlantic, and Pacific and cutting across on smaller roads. Also, FWIW, a mixed used community is supposed to encourage people tp live, work, shop, and play in the same community--so ideally you wouldn't have too many people commuting a long distance to work there. (Ideally, of course...)

I agree, though, that it might fail if they're over estimating how many people are interested in apartments. Or, if the number of companies moving into the area slows down more than expected. The state of VA is eliminating some of the tax incentives we were using to lure companies here. That might not have any affect at all or it could be a game changer. Guess we'll have to see how it all works out.

Last edited by Caladium; 03-17-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
How far is this from the Metro? I just have visions of see-through buildings; on the other hand, it's not like there's vast amounts of room further in.
I was wondering the same thing. They're touting it as being walking distance to the Herndon metro station, but I'm not sure exactly how far it would be or how easy that walk woud be. The proffer says something about improved pedestrian access along 606, whatever that means.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,629 times
Odd Delgaudio is whining about "uniqueness" when he has probably voted for most tract developments in the past (and hell, voted for Kincora) ... also, whatever happened to property rights (I thought those were big for Loudoun Republicans?) Maybe Denton56 or one of the other Delgaudio fans can clear that up for me.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,956 times
Sounds good! I hope that they build it knowing that it will be empty until the metro comes though.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Odd Delgaudio is whining about "uniqueness" when he has probably voted for most tract developments in the past (and hell, voted for Kincora) ... also, whatever happened to property rights (I thought those were big for Loudoun Republicans?) Maybe Denton56 or one of the other Delgaudio fans can clear that up for me.
IMO this is a personal thing for him. What I hear is that he has interests in Dulles Town Center and feels the new project is too close to DTC and could hurt occupancy rates in the office buildings ringing it. (This might be rumor, however, since he did approve Kincora and Kincora is even closer. To be honest, I can rarely figure Delgaudio out. Sometimes I get why he does what he does but more often I wonder about ulterior motives.)

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
IMO this is a personal thing for him. He has interests in Dulles Town Center. What I hear is he feels the new project is too close to DTC and could hurt occupancy rates in the office buildings ringing it.
Interesting

Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM

At least this time they're building a Tyson's type of an area after the metro rail's been planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia