Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Best of luck to you, and hope you love living in Portland. We retired to Williamsburg this summer, so I'm in a similar boat. Ironically, though, we're still coming up to Nova 2-3 times a month to take care of one matter or another and visit the kids. So it doesn't really feel like we moved yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
Hokie. How is that sky high state income tax treating you? Do you wish you had moved to Vancouver, Washington, instead?
How are the Granola Girls?
Eh, it ain't too bad. It's 9%, but in VA I would have been paying 5.5% on my income, but then 6%(?) in sales tax. I think it pretty much evens out. The big kicker, though, is that I'll be paying about $2.40 per $100 assessed if I buy a house. Property taxes are NUTS here. I think Arlington's don't even touch a dollar/$100 if I remember correctly.

If I had moved to Vancouver, I would have to pay Washington sales tax AND Oregon income tax since my office is in Portland. There is NO reciprocity like in the DC area.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:59 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Eh, it ain't too bad. It's 9%, but in VA I would have been paying 5.5% on my income, but then 6%(?) in sales tax. I think it pretty much evens out. The big kicker, though, is that I'll be paying about $2.40 per $100 assessed if I buy a house. Property taxes are NUTS here. I think Arlington's don't even touch a dollar/$100 if I remember correctly.

If I had moved to Vancouver, I would have to pay Washington sales tax AND Oregon income tax since my office is in Portland. There is NO reciprocity like in the DC area.
Living one of my dreams. Would love to move out there. But I have a question. If your company is still in VA or better yet a tax free state, and you telework, would you have to pay the state tax?

Last edited by slduvall; 10-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Living one of my dreams. Would love to move out there. But I have a question. If your company is still in VA or better yet a tax free state, and you telework, would you have to pay the state tax?
Yes. It is where you physically reside each work day. At my old job it was common to fly in Monday/home Thursday and work from home Friday. They had to pay 20% income tax to their home state (or whatever the actual days in their home state was). The years that people were on a project for 2 months in California, 6 months in Virginia, and then 4 months in Georgia (home in Ohio on Fridays) they had to pay taxes in 4 states.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 AM

490 posts, read 649,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
I wish i could leave nova but where in the country can you make as much money as here?
Less is more in most other places. Unfortunately, I think a lot of that type of thinking leads to the anti-DC mentality.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:32 PM

472 posts, read 547,156 times
Best of luck. I grew up in NoVa and left for CA in my mid twenties too to expand my horizon. Then to TX and now in sunny FL to "pretend" to retire (no state income tax, what's not to like). Visited Portland too and considered it but a bit too wet and gray for my taste.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times
Northern Virginia is the greatest region to live in the United States. Why move somewhere else?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Gosh I'm really not sure to be honest. That's an interesting question. I know in Oregon, if I was paying Virginia income taxes while working in Oregon, I wouldn't have to pay Oregon income taxes.

However, whenever I work in Washington, I don't get a "tax break" because Washington doesn't have an income tax. Oregon just says "Hey since you aren't paying taxes to Washington during your two weeks in Seattle, you have to pay them to us."

No matter where you live, they are going get to you no matter what. Whether it's "eggs in one basket" in Oregon with a 9% income tax and high property taxes. Or more spread out like it is in VA, they'll get you one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia