Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,159,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Except average home price and time on market only speak to the relative demand vs. supply in that particular market segment and cannot be generalize for all consumers as a whole. For example, just because Georgetown has higher average home price and/or time on the market does not mean most consumers want to live there, it simply means the relative supply of available homes there greatly exceeds whatever the demand is. That can happen even if the supply and demand in that market are very small in absolute terms. Price is only a snapshot signal of imbalance rather than absolute quantities or direction, for that matter.
Crud, let me re-write that:

Except average home price and time on market only speak to the relative demand vs. supply in that particular market segment and cannot be generalize for all consumers as a whole. For example, just because Georgetown has higher average home price and/or shorter time on the market does not mean most consumers want to live there, it simply means the relative demand of available homes there greatly exceeds whatever the supply is. That can happen even if the supply and demand in that market are very small in absolute terms. Price is only a snapshot signal of imbalance rather than absolute quantities or direction, for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,180,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
Many people in Loudoun work in western Fairfax or Loudoun and have the same commute time or less than they would if they lived in Fairfax.
You can explain this over and over, but it just doesn't seem to register. I've given up trying. It doesn't matter if you offer personal accounts, or tally the number of people posting on this forum who are moving here for jobs in Reston/Herndon or Loudoun. Some people simply refuse to believe that people work out here, no matter how often the Dulles Tech Corridor is mentioned.

FWIW I think there's a fair amount of migration from Loudoun to Fairfax, as well. Young people are growing up and moving closer to DC, as young people tend to do. Since the big wave out to Loudoun began about 20 years ago, followed by lots of babies being born out in the burbs, by now there should be a large and growing wave of 20-somethings who want to move closer to the action.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,530,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Don't forget there are a lot of Marylanders escaping Montgomery County's "millionaire" tax, which is now down to $100,000aires. Our area of Western Loudoun had a boatload.
I suspect most of those went to Frederick County (MD), especially if their jobs were somewhere along the 270 corridor.

As for SAT scores: I noticed the same thing for Frederick County MD in the SAT score race, a (lower-scoring) cluster of schools, although unlike Park View being the low school out in Loudoun, Urbana was the high school out in Frederick.

Finally, until Loudoun finishes building up its job base, making escape to Frederick (VA) a realistic option, I don't know if we'll see the bifurcation we're apparently seeing in Fairfax.

Also, from a surface analysis it does seem Fairfax is getting some degree of poverty being suburbanized, what with people still coming in but income leaving (or it may be more attractive to singles who by definition have lower HHI.) Loudoun and western PWC are attractive areas for families.

While there are by any empirical standards more jobs in DC and the inner suburbs, the gap is closing. But in fields like IT, it's not a huge loss to move out to Loudoun.

Last edited by stpickrell; 10-03-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,124,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I suspect most of those went to Frederick County (MD), especially if their jobs were somewhere along the 270 corridor.

As for SAT scores: I noticed the same thing for Frederick County MD in the SAT score race, a (lower-scoring) cluster of schools, although unlike Park View being the low school out in Loudoun, Urbana was the high school out in Frederick.

Finally, until Loudoun finishes building up its job base, making escape to Frederick (VA) a realistic option, I don't know if we'll see the bifurcation

Also, from a surface analysis it does seem Fairfax is getting some degree of poverty being suburbanized, what with people still coming in but income leaving (or it may be more attractive to singles who by definition have lower HHI.) Loudoun and western PWC are attractive areas for families.

While there are by any empirical standards more jobs in DC and the inner suburbs, the gap is closing. But in fields like IT, it's not a huge loss to move out to Loudoun.
I think that there would have been at least as much movement out of Montgomery to Howard as to Frederick (MD), and that the parallels between Howard and Loudoun are greater than those between Frederick and Loudoun. I still think of Frederick as more rural, but maybe that's changing.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM

799 posts, read 1,294,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think that there would have been at least as much movement out of Montgomery to Howard as to Frederick (MD), and that the parallels between Howard and Loudoun are greater than those between Frederick and Loudoun. I still think of Frederick as more rural, but maybe that's changing.
From 1996-2010, Montgomery County is net exporting almost 3 times as many people to Frederick (#1 destination) as to Howard (#2 destination).

Edit: I looked at just outmigration for Montgomery:

1 Prince George's County, MD 112,653
2 Frederick County, MD 57,448
3 Howard County, MD 31,070
4 Anne Arundel County, MD 18,891
5 Baltimore County, MD 11,168

Last edited by globalburgh; 10-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Additional Information

Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 AM

799 posts, read 1,294,062 times
Here are the outmigration numbers for Fairfax County:

1 Prince William County, VA 149,590
2 Loudoun County, VA 137,947
3 Arlington County, VA 65,879
4 Alexandria city, VA 60,539
5 Fairfax city, VA 15,511

Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,328,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You can explain this over and over, but it just doesn't seem to register. I've given up trying. It doesn't matter if you offer personal accounts, or tally the number of people posting on this forum who are moving here for jobs in Reston/Herndon or Loudoun. Some people simply refuse to believe that people work out here, no matter how often the Dulles Tech Corridor is mentioned.
No kidding. They would certainly know it if the folks in Loudoun really were all commuting into the city - it would be total gridlock on all commuter routes and public transport.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post

Wow, I'm surprised Montgomery County didn't even make the top 5, or was that a possibility in what you ran. Surprised Fairfax CITY made the #5 slot, would've expected Fauquier or Stafford to be there.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,179,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post

Huh, that is interesting. I would not have guessed those numbers to PWC. Where are they moving to? Gainesville? Woodbridge? Just curious.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Huh, that is interesting. I would not have guessed those numbers to PWC. Where are they moving to? Gainesville? Woodbridge? Just curious.
Actually, there's two things:
1) PWC has options for upscale folks (Haymarket, Gainesville, parts of Woodbridge) and downscale (the other parts of Woodbridge, Dumfries, Dale City, etc.) Loudoun, not quite as much for the downscale set.
2) PWC has 400k people, Loudoun just hit 300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia