Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,263 times

Advertisements

Hi - Moving to Northern VA in the Fall. Will be working in Foggy Bottom and would like to commute by Metro. Any suggestions for a family w/ 2 boys ages 6 & 4. Good schools, commute under an hour, budget between $550k and $650k? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,336,603 times
Vienna sounds perfect for you if you want a single family house, there are some along Hunter mill that is bikeable along the W&OD trail to the metro station (not on roads) or you can drive and park at metro. There are some great townhouses in Old Town Alexandria along the Braddock Road metro stop for that price also (1800sf) and walkable to old town and just a beautiful location and next to a metro.

You could also look in the West Falls Church area. Your price range near metros will need you to look for smaller houses or townhouses if you like newer and updated. Its not a deal breaker I dont think, you can definitely find a solid 3br, but I would suggest a really nice townhouse, instead of a smaller regular house.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,982,560 times
Agree with TE.

The other place you may want to look is West Springfield. You could take the blue line all the way in without ever switching trains, but you'd need to account for the time to get to/find parking at the metro.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,263 times
Thanks for these replies. You are all very helpfull. We will probably rent to start out while we sell our house in NY. Our rent budget tops out at $3,500. We are looking in to Vienna. Are there nice neighborhoods for little kids in Alexandria? Is McLean out of our ball park? Thanks in advance........

Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhlinnyc View Post
Thanks for these replies. You are all very helpfull. We will probably rent to start out while we sell our house in NY. Our rent budget tops out at $3,500. We are looking in to Vienna. Are there nice neighborhoods for little kids in Alexandria? Is McLean out of our ball park? Thanks in advance........
There are some really nice areas of Alexandria. The problem is that the general consensus is that the schools aren't as good as in the surrounding areas. It's puzzling to me, as there is so much affluence in the city limits, but it is what it is. Obviously some people find great success there (and I'm of the belief that your home life is a far greater indicator of success than your classmates/teachers, anyway).

Note too that "Alexandria" is deceiving. There is the city of Alexandria (ACPS) and there are Alexandria mailing addresses in Fairfax County (FCPS). There are some very nice (and plenty of not-as-nice) neighborhoods with good schools in the latter, but they are far away from metro transport and would likely give you a commute longer than you desire.

There are plenty of rental listings with 3+ bedrooms under $3500 in McLean (I searched using hotpads.com), but there is no metro in McLean, so you could have a potentially tricky commute/parking situation if you are intent on taking the trains (though I'll let someone more familiar with orange line logistics confirm or deny that).

Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM

190 posts, read 846,591 times
Actually West Falls Church metro station is accessible from parts of Mclean. I live off of Great Falls St in Mclean and can walk to the metro from my house... it is right on the border.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Actually West Falls Church metro station is accessible from parts of Mclean. I live off of Great Falls St in Mclean and can walk to the metro from my house... it is right on the border.
Good to know. In that case, McLean is definitely an option. (Make sure that if you don't want to disrupt schools, you could afford to buy a suitable house there after you sell your other one--it's one of the most $$$ places in the area).

Old 07-25-2012, 03:35 PM

518 posts, read 1,456,037 times
Vienna, which was mentioned earlier is great.

Also along the metro, I'd look at the neighborhoods around the East and West Falls Church Metro stations (in Arlington, Falls Church and McLean). The schools are excellent, and Metro is a short walk, drive, or bus ride away.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM

231 posts, read 458,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhlinnyc View Post
Hi - Moving to Northern VA in the Fall. Will be working in Foggy Bottom and would like to commute by Metro. Any suggestions for a family w/ 2 boys ages 6 & 4. Good schools, commute under an hour, budget between $550k and $650k? Thanks in advance.
You can hit some of the homes of Vienna for that range. Will be towards the upper range, but you can do it.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,336,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
You can hit some of the homes of Vienna for that range. Will be towards the upper range, but you can do it.
yea like I said

You can get the smaller homes in vienna (most of the 4br plus in vienna are starting in the 800s) or you can go with a very upscale and new townhouse for the middle part of your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia